Here's my pondering

Help Support CattleToday:

id say the way your feeding your cows an heifers.that your growing the calves in their bellies.id cut their feed to the point that they had engery an maintained themselves an not grow the calf in them.

Well, I am not too terribly concerned about a higher BW. As long as the cows are having them unassisted, that is really all that matters. I figure a cow should be able to give birth to a calf 8%-10% of her body weight. With 10% being the top end of any of the calves. So you figure you have 1200 lb cows in the frame 5-6 range (which is what ours are), they should be able to handle 96 lb calves easily. Our BW's for the last few years have averaged around 90 - 95 lbs, so that is pretty darn close to 8% on our cows. We don't have many assists at those weights, usually just the odd malpresentation. I am not looking to push the average BW any higher than it is, but at least, I know that if we happen to pick up a bad bull, we shouldn't have too many problems. Right now we are using 2 100 lb BW bulls, neither one is throwing calves even close to that, so if you can have heavy BW bulls throwing lighter BW calves, I am sure the opposite is true.......

I see no point in breeding a 1200 lb cow to have 50-80 lb calves, you are losing a lot of weight there come weaning time, and I think you are asking for trouble in the replacement heifers.

Latest posts