First calf out of my (Gilmore) Gizmo Angus bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Looks like @gizmom did you right on that bull. I don't know them, but from what I have read and heard and seen written about them., it doesn't surprise me. They kinda blew that old myth about Angus not thriving in hot weather right out of the water, huh? They are who I recommend people in the SE too when they ask me about Angus.

In all of my life, I have never heard anything about cattle and fescue til 3 or 4 years ago on here. Blew my mind. People around here spend millions of dollars a year growing fescue for pasture and hay. I have always known to keep pregnant mares off Fescue, but never cows, And I have gotten cows from all over the US and Mexico since the 70's. Now that I have heard this, I will probably start having Fescue problems! 🥹

In all of my life, I have never heard anything about cattle and fescue til 3 or 4 years ago on here. Blew my mind. People around here spend millions of dollars a year growing fescue for pasture and hay. I have always known to keep pregnant mares off Fescue, but never cows,
That's my experience too. We had a lot of fescue pasture in Arkansas and made a lot of hay and never heard anything about it being an issue. Maybe a different kind of fescue?

That's my experience too. We had a lot of fescue pasture in Arkansas and made a lot of hay and never heard anything about it being an issue. Maybe a different kind of fescue?
Well, they say KY31, which is what everyone down here uses. Only other I know of is the creeping red people sow under shade trees in their yard. Supposedly it is the same endophyte that is toxic to mares, that is toxic to cattle and I know most of our fescue is infested with it, because a lot of people who don't know better loses foals on fescue.

Latest posts