Here's food for thought

Help Support CattleToday:

I am curious if the cost of diseases purchased in replacements and sale barn cattle need to be in added to the cost of purchased cattle?
Good point. And may be an unrecognized hidden cost for a while. But can be expensive over time. For a person who has real cattle, it is absolutely an expense or at least lost opportunity, same as disease spread to cattle by wildlife.

Now, for any that only have imaginary cattle, I guess it does not add up or matter. :)

Good point. And may be an unrecognized hidden cost for a while. But can be expensive over time. For a person who has real cattle, it is absolutely an expense or at least lost opportunity, same as disease spread to cattle by wildlife.

Now, for any that only have imaginary cattle, I guess it does not add up or matter. :)
I sold a bull to a guy who said the bull he had was bad. He had no calves. Then he called the next year and said that he had only one calf from the bull that he got from me. So I asked: all sale barn cows, no vaccines, marginal minerals, no Vet consult...

Bring in the right stuff and you have lungers, scours, abortions... Just asking as I never figured out the deal.

May or may not be related, but I've always figured it was. Seems like when we buy cattle, we always have an outbreak of pinkeye.
On years where we haven't brought in anything it doesn't usually seem as bad.

This! Every cow I now have was born & raised on this ranch. The heifers I retain are from my best cows that consistently calve within the first few weeks of the season and have good feet, udders, attitudes, raise quality calves. I know their entire health history, have them pelvic measured and breed them to calving ease bulls. What is that worth?
That is exactly my philosophy.

Ok. First, sorry didn't know he was a she!! Lol.
No, NONE of those numbers are MINE. Way over the top for me.
Could be Canadian money??
No matter where she came up with all those numbers, HER numbers claim RAISED cattle were more profitable than PURCHASED.
Anyway, back to the bulls.
People say they can't justify the cost of a good bull, but I totally believe in her example of spreading the cost over the years he is used, and spread over the number of calves, less his salvage value. I have seen that exact example used many times. It's real world way to look at it.

I agree about using good bulls. That salvage value is a little high for just sending one to the packer. But spending a few thousand more on a good bull might pay off. Wouldn't a 5000 bull cost 25 more per calf than a 2500 bull assuming all other cost were the same. I think that better bull's offspring would most likely make more than the $25 cost.

Randi is a girl.
A woman if you will, she was once on Ranchers Net under the name Randiliana.
Very down to earth lady.Loved her cattle pictures and working horseback at the local cattle auction.

They are real people that make a living raising cattle in a big unforgiving area. Much harder than trading ''hypothetical '' scenario on a cattle forum.

I am sure those figures would be in Canadian$. She is also very sharp on color genetics.

I agree about using good bulls. That salvage value is a little high for just sending one to the packer. But spending a few thousand more on a good bull might pay off. Wouldn't a 5000 bull cost 25 more per calf than a 2500 bull assuming all other cost were the same. I think that better bull's offspring would most likely make more than the $25 cost.
Packer bulls here right now are 85-111. $2K is a good number in my experience.

$5k-$2k= $3k

3000/4= $750/yr

750/25= $30/hd

So you need #15-20 extra or 0.06/lb increase on #500 or hopefully a little of both.

Ok. First, sorry didn't know he was a she!! Lol.
No, NONE of those numbers are MINE. Way over the top for me.
Could be Canadian money??
No matter where she came up with all those numbers, HER numbers claim RAISED cattle were more profitable than PURCHASED.
Anyway, back to the bulls.
People say they can't justify the cost of a good bull, but I totally believe in her example of spreading the cost over the years he is used, and spread over the number of calves, less his salvage value. I have seen that exact example used many times. It's real world way to look at it.
she is a member here ,but hasn't posted in a while..thought you remembered her..

It would be nice if the spreadsheet wasn't locked. If you save it to your computer, can you unlock it?
If unlocked, you could put in your own numbers. Nothing I'm interested in, but some might like to do it.

Latest posts