Be careful with those guns.....

Help Support CattleToday:

This video below is a little bit long, approximately 15 minutes, but we always showed this video at the end of every hunter ed class. It's obviously geared towards younger children, but we always felt like it drilled in the importance of gun safety. The room was always silent when the video ended. Some of the kids even had tears in their eyes, especially when they realized it was based on a true story. We always wanted the kids to have fun and enjoy their time in the class, but we wanted them to understand how serious it was and how all of the instructions they had just learned needed to be followed because it could be a matter of life and death.

That is a really great video. thanks for sharing. Back when I was in middle or high school, a classmate and good friend invited me to sleep over at his house for the night. he and his brothers were avid coon hunters and hunted very often. My classmate was the oldest of the boys in the family. we were upstairs and were coming down the steps when one of his younger brothers said something my classmate didn't like. at the bottom of the steps was the storage closest for the guns. my classmate picked up a shotgun and pointed it at his younger brother's head, finger on the trigger, and asked me if he should let him have it. I was shocked and I'm sure it took me a few seconds to respond, but eventually said "NO it might be loaded" He then pointed the mussel down and said, "No, we always unload before we put them away." But to his surprise when he checked the gun, it was loaded with a shell in the chamber. his face turned white as a ghost and said," Oh my god, I could have killed him." I don't think I will ever forget that day.

It seems many little children getting a hold of guns are toddlers too young to be taught about gun safety. Some idiot leaves a loaded gun in a bedside drawer or in mommy's purse.

That is a really great video. thanks for sharing. Back when I was in middle or high school, a classmate and good friend invited me to sleep over at his house for the night. he and his brothers were avid coon hunters and hunted very often. My classmate was the oldest of the boys in the family. we were upstairs and were coming down the steps when one of his younger brothers said something my classmate didn't like. at the bottom of the steps was the storage closest for the guns. my classmate picked up a shotgun and pointed it at his younger brother's head, finger on the trigger, and asked me if he should let him have it. I was shocked and I'm sure it took me a few seconds to respond, but eventually said "NO it might be loaded" He then pointed the mussel down and said, "No, we always unload before we put them away." But to his surprise when he checked the gun, it was loaded with a shell in the chamber. his face turned white as a ghost and said," Oh my god, I could have killed him." I don't think I will ever forget that day.
That gave me chills!! I'm glad nobody got hurt. It's terrifying though, how close it could've been a horribly different outcome. You're obviously still disturbed by it. That's the kind of stuff they should be teaching our kids in school, not helping them decide whether or not they feel like being a girl or a boy.

These type of accidents happen more than we realize. The loss of life is devastating. The impact it has on the individual that fired the shot can be lifelong.

Those are facts. We did the same with our kids. Unfortunately, not all parents are responsible. My husband and I used to be Hunter Education instructors in New Mexico and all kids under the age of 18 were required to take the class before they could get a hunting license. Part of the teaching we did was gun safety. You'd be surprised how many kids would rat out their parents in class about all the bad habits, they had already been taught. I wish all kids had to go through that course, not just kids that would be hunting. At least they would get a little bit of education on how to handle guns and the dangers of what can happen if you're goofing off and not being safe.
A lot of people have very bad habits. Do any kind of guiding or group leases or group hunts and you will see some wild stuff. A lot of them are people who have been shooting their whole lives. The two most dangerous groups of people are current or ex military/ law enforcement.

It amazes me that when considering risk vs reward they choose a loaded gun vs a couple seconds to unload or they choose to attempt a shot vs just letting it go. The idea that they will risk some one around them for a shot or to save a few seconds blows my mind.

A lot of people have very bad habits. Do any kind of guiding or group leases or group hunts and you will see some wild stuff. A lot of them are people who have been shooting their whole lives. The two most dangerous groups of people are current or ex military/ law enforcement.

It amazes me that when considering risk vs reward they choose a loaded gun vs a couple seconds to unload or they choose to attempt a shot vs just letting it go. The idea that they will risk some one around them for a shot or to save a few seconds blows my mind.
I strongly disagree with the remark you made about "ex" military/law enforcement being the most dangerous people. I don't know what kind of hunting groups you have been around or who was with you, but I have been surrounded by those people all my life and have never once ever had any of them be dangerous with a handgun or any other type of weapon. There are always exceptions to the rule, but you shouldn't lump them all together as being dangerous individuals. They're training teaches them to always be prepared and to have their weapon loaded. They can't always just turn that off. Just so you know referring to them as ex-military is insulting. They should be referred to as former military. They consider the term "ex" as a derogatory term. Kind of like your ex spouse.

Last edited:
I strongly disagree with the remark you made about "ex" military/law enforcement being the most dangerous people. I don't know what kind of hunting groups you have been around or who was with you, but I have been surrounded by those people all my life and have never once ever had any of them be dangerous with a handgun or any other type of weapon. There are always exceptions to the rule, but you shouldn't lump them all together as being dangerous individuals. They're training teaches them to always be prepared and to have their weapon loaded. They can't always just turn that off. Just so you know referring to them as ex-military is insulting. They should be referred to as former military. They consider the term "ex" as a derogatory term. Kind of like your ex spouse.
I will try to remember to use former, thanks. It wasn't meant that way.

It's well known in the guiding community. It's not every single person for sure but it is discussed prior to hunts who to watch for just like if we know we have new hunters/ shooters. No matter what carreer or industry you work in it is well known that complacency is the most dangerous mentality there is. We realize it is due to their environment but it doesnt change the fact that the goal is to keep every one safe and it has to be acknowledged. I ran in to the same thing in the oil field and have been guilty of it more than once myself.

The bad thing is with guns, there are not a lot of second chances.

I just found out a young man I know shot himself in the big toe. Mid 20's ranch raised young man who has been around guns all his life. Had a 22 pistol twirling it around like some Hollywood gunfighter. Some others told him to put it away before it went off. He stuck it back in the holster. Did a quick draw. Bang, shot himself right in the middle of his big toe.

If you have kids the best thing you can do is get them involved with youth shooting groups. 4H, FFA and other groups all have shooting teams, even through their schools. In Texas its just like showing an animal.Start them young.

I see 8 yr olds that can barley sit still gain years of maturity in those groups in just a short period of time. Your whole family will be emursed in a culture of safety... and ability.

We can spot kids and adults that have gone through those programs in a heart beat by the way they put their hands on a firearm. I can hand some one a gun and know if they have been through pappy's pasture school or formal training.

Those kids will be steps ahead in safety and ability. I recommend it to every one but most balk at it because that's not the way their daddy taught them. That's the second most dangerous group on a hunt, by the way.

Don't leave out the young ladies. They have natural abilities that make them excellent shooters.

We had a bird trying to build a nest in the eve of the house. I was gone down to the beach on a clam tide. Youngest daughter saw said bird. Went out the door with a 22. The bird flew away. She walked around the house and picked something up. Now she has whatever she picked up in her left hand the the rifle in her right hand. She walked up to the front door. Held the rifle stock against her side and put the end of the barrel on top of her foot. You can see what is about to happen. She opened the door and reached down to get hold of the rifle. Touched the trigger and pierced her foot. Lucky no serious damage. Missed the bones, nerves, and blood veins. Most people's teenagers shoot themself in the foot. My youngest daughter did it literally. She was 16 at the time and had been shooting guns for a good 10 years. But her personality was one where she knew better than everyone else. By the time I got home they had been to the hospital and back. Luckily nothing serious. She just needed to stay off her foot for a couple weeks. She didn't want me to tell anyone. I said I am going to take out a full page ad in the paper to make sure everyone hears about it.

My friend who was one of the guys who balked at putting his kids in to shooting sports, use to bad about it. He said... I'll teach them what they need to know.

We were turkey hunting and we were in the front of my sxs and the kids were in the back seat. It was his oldest sons first hunt. We heard some turkey in the distance so we moved to get set up for them.

His son has a single shot turkey gun. As we pull up I hear a click behind me and I look back at my son and he is looking at the other kid and goes... he just cocked that gun.

Apparently the kid was walking around with ammo in the gun and got in my sxs. Then decided to cock the hammer as we stopped to set up.

His dad tore him up for cooking the gun then I tore his dad up for letting him walk around with ammo, much less in the gun.

Same guy, was sighting in a rifle with his two boys. He and one son walked out to check the target. He leaves the gun loaded, but on safety, at the shooting bench. As I pull up the young one is sitting in the shooting bench and starting to touch the gun. I jump out and asked him what he is doing. I tell him he doesn't need to sit there and touch the gun. He just looks at me and stays there, the goes for the gun, again. I grabbed it and told him in a stern enough tone to make him get embarrassed... I'm not F* around with you. I unloaded the gun and put it in the back seat.

We had another discussion about the guns. He is one of those... I've been hunting all my life... guys.

This stuff happens all the time. If I see a closed action or bolt when some one opens a case or takes it our it's an immediate red flag. I can't tell you how many guns I have seen people take out of cases on hunts, they open them up, and a shell flies out.

When I get some one out of the blind, even my own son or parents, I always say, let me hold you gun while you get out. I always check them before they go in a vehicle.

So many people will try to get in vehicles or put guns in cabinets or cases with shells in the magazine but not in the chamber. That is a big no-no.

You should hear stories that sporting and pawn shop owners tell about customers that walk in unknowingly with loaded and say I thought I unloaded it. Or the manly thing I thought my wife unloaded it.