Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

BA

Reaction score
If a person went looking for a few hereford cows in the High Plains area, who would be some of the better herds for the following traits? Udder quality, moderate frame, good feet and some muscle without 100 lbs. BW and oh yea did I mention udder quality. If they are linebred, that is all the better.

Have a few herefords and would like to add a couple more. I sure don't need big rangy cows and I've seen a lot of them lately. I think I know one excellent herd relatively near by, curious if there are others that I haven't heard of. Don't care anything about needing big names, just sound cattle.

AX-":10mndbz7 said:
If a person went looking for a few hereford cows in the High Plains area, who would be some of the better herds for the following traits? Udder quality, moderate frame, good feet and some muscle without 100 lbs. BW and oh yea did I mention udder quality. If they are linebred, that is all the better.

Have a few herefords and would like to add a couple more. I sure don't need big rangy cows and I've seen a lot of them lately. I think I know one excellent herd relatively near by, curious if there are others that I haven't heard of. Don't care anything about needing big names, just sound cattle.

Check your PM's I gave you a name. I think they would cross real nice on those good RA bulls of yours. They do have some leg on em tho.

KNERSIE":6dzrfgh7 said:

Great cattle but totally different kind of country. The Coleman cattle grow up in grass up to their bellies. The eastern plains cattle only see grass up to their bellies if they are laying down.

I do really like Ken's cattle though and he would also be my first choice around here.

AX-":2bnibqck said:

Lee Haygood, Canadian, TX, did have some heifers for sale. And, of course, the Jamison Dispersion is coming up in Kansas. Both would be primarily Line 1 breeding.

And I don't think you'd have much trouble getting Ken Coleman's Line 1 bred cattle to adapt to shorter grass and a lower altitude.

George

Dewall and Colemans were my first choices. I know Dewall's don't selll any cows though. I was thinking of AI'ing to one of their bulls and cleaning up with our Red Angus. I like the looks of Colemans, wish I had the scenery that they have as well. Thanks for the info on the other herds - I will look into them. How about Middleswarth, Oschner and Largent in Wyoming. Any other Texas Panhandle / E. New Mexico herds that might have something?

AX-":5j00ujur said:
Dewall and Colemans were my first choices. I know Dewall's don't selll any cows though. I was thinking of AI'ing to one of their bulls and cleaning up with our Red Angus. I like the looks of Colemans, wish I had the scenery that they have as well. Thanks for the info on the other herds - I will look into them. How about Middleswarth, Oschner and Largent in Wyoming. Any other Texas Panhandle / E. New Mexico herds that might have something?

If you can AI, I'd use Deewall's D Advance 304 bull in a heartbeat in a commercial situation.
DocLarge.jpg

As far as herds in the Texas Panhandle go, I've always been favorably impressed with the pictures I've seen of Summerour's cattle (Dalhart, TX). One of those places I've wanted to visit, but haven't made it there yet.

George

Do they have semen on that bull? I asked last year and they didn't - if they do he would be on the short list. A meat wagon.

AX-":mhgrv0fc said:
Do they have semen on that bull? I asked last year and they didn't - if they do he would be on the short list. A meat wagon.

I thought they had semen. You just couldn't register any calves from him because they can't get the AHA required DNA profile on his dam. And that's a shame, because he's the kind of bull that would help a lot of registered Hereford cattle.

George

About the Deewall's 304 bull. We do have a limited amount of semen on him, but because we didn't have the foresight to DNA test him to his mother, we can't sell it into a registered herd. We Sold him, as a two yr. old, with the stipulation that we could purchase him back in the future.We traded another 2 year old bull for him last year, and bred him to a little over 1/3 of our cows, this year. So, we will have bull calves by him to sell next fall or yearlings the following year. In the past, we haven't had enough females to be able to sell many, but we have been able to lease more land, and are in the need to increase the herd. This coming spring, we will calve 30 heifers, which is almost twice as many as we have calved in the past. Hopefully we can, in the next three years, increase and cull the herd, so that we can start selling some females.

We do have semen on the Golden Advance 550 bull, who was also a true meat wagon. He is posted on our web sight:www.deewallherefords.com He was DNA tested and can be used in a registered herd. He, like the 304 bull, stayed fat on almost nothing.

Thank you for the kind words about our cattle, we would be happy to show them to any of you at any time.

Jane and Mike

I have purchased two bulls from Ken Coleman. I lost one to lighting after two calve crops. Both bulls adjusted well, to the short grass prarie east of Walsenburg Colorado. The first bull left some very functional easy doing females. My second bull breeds a lot of cows is extremly docile kids ride him in pasture. Calves wean at a minimum of 500 lbs. Most of out cows weigh between 1000 and 1200 lbs. Have never pulled a calve out of either bull. There was a time when prolapses were common along with pulling calves and eve problems. Had those problems eliminated a long time ago, but I feel confident they wont appear again using Kens bulls. Have been keeping females, but I know if I were to sell the females they would bring good money. When you do buy a bull that comes from a different environment it is best not to just turn him out and let him start breeding. Bull needs time to get accustomed to a different environment.

Latest posts