Herefords????

Help Support CattleToday:

Steve Banks

Reaction score
Commerically speaking, would getting into Polled Herefords be one of the good breeds to have?
I've been told and seen that herefords (right or wrong) just don't bring as many $$$ at commerical sales! However do their genetics and overall performance make up for the less money??
I'm only asking from a commerical sense.

Get a brangus bull, either red or black and raise superbaldys as some of here in the south call em. A Gert on em would also be hard to beat. Herfords bring a lot to the table

If i had a hereford herd id prob get a good black bull and try to get some baldies. Ive had about 4 different cows with hereford influence. 1 is near full blooded and had a good calf, but it still was out performed by my brangus and char calves. 2 others were 1/2 hereford and 1/2 char and neither had great calves. Im waiting on the calf from the 4th which i think is an angus/hereford cross. A man i know has the brangus/hereford cross and it does great. Nearly every calf is a fast-growing baldie. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Brad

houstoncutter":1cp8iwec said:
Get a brangus bull, either red or black and raise superbaldys as some of here in the south call em. A Gert on em would also be hard to beat. Herfords bring a lot to the table

No ear in Indiania unless you want more discount than for a straight hereford.

MPR has the right idea. Hereford cows+black bull=folding money

Use the hereford cow For docility and easy calving and the black bull, well, to turn them black.

certherfbeef":3gb9sw4d said:
houstoncutter":3gb9sw4d said:

Use the hereford cow For docility and easy calving and the black bull, well, to turn them black.

I would just as soon have a dose of :clap: than a black bull in my pasture..

Caustic Burno":22eqsa2r said:
certherfbeef":22eqsa2r said:
houstoncutter":22eqsa2r said:

I feel the same way about a Hereford. On another note, Caustic have you ever had a Dudley Bros. bull. They have been raising them since 1948. I went to the sale because it was close to home. Avg. was around 3000. I also saw several go for 5000. so must have been some cheaper.

Scotty

Scotty":1wwitkjs said:
Caustic Burno":1wwitkjs said:
certherfbeef":1wwitkjs said:
houstoncutter":1wwitkjs said:

I feel the same way about a Hereford. On another note, Caustic have you ever had a Dudley Bros. bull. They have been raising them since 1948. I went to the sale because it was close to home. Avg. was around 3000. I also saw several go for 5000. so must have been some cheaper.

Scotty

No I haven't the Circle C Ranch is close a very large polled Hereford operation since 1928. They have great cattle close to the house.

Steve Banks":3fslp84v said:
Commerically speaking, would getting into Polled Herefords be one of the good breeds to have?
I've been told and seen that herefords (right or wrong) just don't bring as many $$$ at commerical sales! However do their genetics and overall performance make up for the less money??

Herefords are know for doing well on pasture. There is a southwest grazing study out that showed they had the second best ADG (behind the Bramha!) My only commercial question on Hereford cows is what to cross them with to make the local buyers happy. Horned Hereford cows and a Balancer Bull could be a good combination.

Stocker Steve":ucqshev6 said:
My only commercial question on Hereford cows is what to cross them with to make the local buyers happy. .
Hereford cows, either Horned or Polled crossed with an Angus Bull, either Red or Black Angus is about the best cross for top quality beef and great mama cows that you can find. Forget about Balancers or anything else if you want the best.

If I were crossing Herefords with another breed, I would cross Hereford on Angus. Those Baldies are some of the best animals and make some of the best cows out there. Thats my input. :cboy:

Is it just me or does it seem that you have more mottles and brokles with Angus on Hereford vs the other way. Seems the Hereford bulls throw the full face.

Scotty

Scotty":3hobtncm said:
Is it just me or does it seem that you have more mottles and brokles with Angus on Hereford vs the other way. Seems the Hereford bulls throw the full face.

Scotty
Those Hereford cows that the Angus bulls are breeding ain't purebred Hereford. That would make for the brockle and mottle faces.

Steve Banks":ggjsox37 said:

Buckskins (Hereford X Charolais) are pretty popular around here now for brood cows. Some folks are wary of a baldy in that they don't know what breed the "Black" part is.

Come back on that buckskin with an angus and you got the best of all worlds. Growth, carcass, and high heterosis.

I couldn't let you guys get too far past me. ;-)

Caustic Burno":9qaehey2 said:
certherfbeef":9qaehey2 said:
houstoncutter":9qaehey2 said:

Caustic, what are you crossing your tigers back to?

Polled herefords would be a very good breed.You wouldn't have to worry about having to dehorn calves,hereford cows are quite and easy to work with.They make excellent mothers,breed them to a good polled black bull.You will make very good money off those black baldie calves,when you take them to market.That is if you can make yourself part,with those black baldie heifers come fall.Which by the way,make excellent cow's!!

George":5o0edf1l said:
Polled herefords would be a very good breed.You wouldn't have to worry about having to dehorn calves,hereford cows are quite and easy to work with.They make excellent mothers,breed them to a good polled black bull.You will make very good money off those black baldie calves,when you take them to market.That is if you can make yourself part,with those black baldie heifers come fall.Which by the way,make excellent cow's!!
Guess my secret bout those Herefords going dirt cheap got out. Last week Hereford Cows, that were around 5 years old, heavy bred were bringing real good money, darn near as much as the "Blacks".

Crowderfarms":24tw4365 said:
George":24tw4365 said:
Guess my secret bout those Herefords going dirt cheap got out. Last week Hereford Cows, that were around 5 years old, heavy bred were bringing real good money, darn near as much as the "Blacks".

The sale I went to last week had 10 Herefords a couple of hundred 3rd stage angus and a mixture of miscellaneous. 4 7 year old 3rd stage Herefords brought as much as the the very fancy 3rd stage black Angus heifers. When a couple of SS came through, 3rd stage, looking pretty well wore out, when they got over 900 bucks I walked out. Don;t know how any of the other stuff sold, just the black heifers and the Herefords that were the only reason I went.

dun

We have a herd of Herfords but mostly herford cross cows. Great Cows and Wodnerful temperments but if we were breeding them to a Herford Bull, there would be no money in it. It seem that if they have a bald face and are redthe money automaticly drops. But if she/he is a baldy with red eyes or at least a patterened face they dollars start rising. So we breed to a Limo bull and get mostly red calves, some baldys but with red around eyes and such.

Good Luck Do what you wish, go to a sale and see what the prices are going like before starting off with a herd.

Melissa

Latest posts