Hereford talk

Help Support CattleToday:

farmguy

Reaction score
What happened to Hereford talk? I was banned for posting a study on Herefords that was not well received but I still visited the site. Some interesting discussions. No posts for ten days.

farmguy said:
What happened to Hereford talk? I was banned for posting a study on Herefords that was not well received but I still visited the site. Some interesting discussions. No posts for ten days.

Summer slump..

What's a real red Hereford supposed to look like? :pop: :pop: :pop:
We have some Hereford cows and have used Hereford bulls for several years. We also have one of those black Herefords. Herefords are like any other breed there's good and not so good, the whole Hereford dock thing is the biggest obstacle and completely ridiculous.

Don't savvy a black hereford, black simmental, or a black charolais. Looks like they would be referred to as an angus cross.

farmguy said:
Let's see the study. I like herefords myself, just like all breeds you have to be picky about what you let stay on the farm, and maybe have to be a little pickier with herefords than angus or simmental, in general.

Here is the study. It should take you to Beef magazine and one more click to the article/study. Let me know if it works.

: http://beefmagazine.com/mag/beef_horned_vs_polled

After reading that I think I know why it was not readily received on that forum. Breed purity is a hot button issue for quite a few breeders across most breeds. The polled factor is regarded by some to be a sign of outside breed genetics.
Years ago, when selling Charolais bulls I noticed a significant minority of bull customers sought out horned bulls. Some because they could be bought at a discount, but some because they swore they were better quality. I think with both Charolais and Herefords the early polled animals were maybe lacking in some quality because of the single trait selection. By the time I was involved with the Charolais breed it was widely regarded that polled cattle had been bred long enough that the numbers were there for quality to be on par with the breed as a whole, and maybe even more so because of the higher demand for polled individuals less emphasis was placed on breeding horned cattle. I feel certain there is a similar scenario with Herefords. I think one of the within breed criticism within Herefords is the schism between production and show type cattle that has in large part broken along the horned polled factions.

What is so controversial about that article?
Basically all it says is, the final product is about the same. What's wrong with that?

I dont think we should get rid of all horned animals, if that makes any difference. Some people like that. They are nice to look at on some I think.

But for the producer who wants slaughter animals only, why not go polled if the end result is the same or possible better for carcass merits?

MurraysMutts said:
What is so controversial about that article?
Basically all it says is, the final product is about the same. What's wrong with that?

I dont think we should get rid of all horned animals, if that makes any difference. Some people like that. They are nice to look at on some I think.

But for the producer who wants slaughter animals only, why not go polled if the end result is the same or possible better for carcass merits?

I'm in agreement, as all major breeds of cattle have gone through some extreme phenotypical changes and back and forth over time to meet the demands of the industry at the respective times. I think the sticking point for some is that polledness in Herefords is thought to be the result of outside breed influence rather than the mutation concept that has been widely accepted. To me personally it doesn't make a lot of difference in that particular instance as I believe that there is a significant amount of outside breeding within all breeds to account for the dramatic changes in phenotype overall. While I appreciate efforts to keep breeds pure so that their respective traits can continue to be utilized. I also understand the desire to meet the demands of a given market, ie more solid coloring, pigmented eyes, polledness and even black hided.

So diehard hereford folks want horns, eye pigment, feather necks? And red of course? Lol

I'm far from a purebred enthusiast, but I think it's very cool that some people are keeping that kind of thing alive. Heritage type animals, if u will.

No reason for them to be all snooty about it tho!
If it walks like a Hereford.
Looks like a hereford.
Quacks like a hereford.
Its probly a hereford...!
Lmao

Ky Hills - I agree with you! I think people should be careful before ruling out something as not being pure. I knew a lady that raised Romagnola for 50 years and during that time she had a few of her cattle that came out polled and started breeding for it. She was a serious breeder and won a lot of shows, but as soon as she claimed polled the association said that there was no way and that she must be crossbreeding... she kept a closed herd btw. So they refused her animals for registration even though dna on file showed parentage verification... after all was said and done she just decided to not register anymore because she got sick of the fight and headache. I believe contributing factors are due to animals adapting to their environments, closed herd selection and genetic whoopsies...it happens but it is not common.

MurraysMutts said:
So diehard hereford folks want horns, eye pigment, feather necks? And red of course? Lol

I'm far from a purebred enthusiast, but I think it's very cool that some people are keeping that kind of thing alive. Heritage type animals, if u will.

No reason for them to be all snooty about it tho!
If it walks like a Hereford.
Looks like a hereford.
Quacks like a hereford.
Its probly a hereford...!
Lmao

Yep as long as it's red and some white on the face it gets the Hereford dock at the stockyards for sure.

Ya know now that I think about it...
I've not sold any herefords, but bought a couple pretty cheap. So what u say makes sense. Lol

Got a real nice bwf heifer out of one of em.
The other will either be bred to my bwf bull or charolais. Hopefully we know soon.

Latest posts