hereford mateing

Help Support CattleToday:

certherfbeef

Reaction score
Was just told that one of my heifers at another place got a CIDR yesterday. That puts breeding around friday. Just talked to Reed, he said he can get a shipper there by thursday. Thought I would have her home before she was needing bred, that didn't happen. The question is: What is the bull to use? I can't get you a picture. I have not seen her but have her full sister here. I'm told they are carbon copies with the one needing bred being a little deeper in the heart and flank. There is plenty of bone, I think she is long enough bodied. She has a good leg and a good square hip. Just needs some extra thickness. Really just needs something to compliment her EPD's. The one I have here has a near perfect udder. IMO

The one I have will be stuck with Pure Gold. I'm leaning that way with the heifer. Except for the $100/straw part. Should have no problems calving to much of anything shy of an elephant.
Here is the registration # of the older full sis. EPD info should be real close to the same for the heifer. 42403616
No preference wether the bull is horned or polled. But must be RED Hereford!!
Any thoughts on Robin Hood(ABS)? How bout the "Rusty" bull that Reed's carry? Not interested in P606 or Remitall Highway. Don't ask why, I'm just not. AND NO FELTONS, if you can help it.

Ollie...this is the full sis to the heifer I had in Louisville.

Fire away guys, try to keep the suggestions w/in the $60/straw range, hu?

Here is a pic of the full sis. Like I said, I'm told carbon copy but add a touch of heart. This is an old pic, last winter...I's the best I can do.

9d0e1070.jpg
[/img]

certherfbeef":22zbpjst said:
Was just told that one of my heifers at another place got a CIDR yesterday. That puts breeding around friday. Just talked to Reed, he said he can get a shipper there by thursday. Thought I would have her home before she was needing bred, that didn't happen. The question is: What is the bull to use? I can't get you a picture. I have not seen her but have her full sister here. I'm told they are carbon copies with the one needing bred being a little deeper in the heart and flank. There is plenty of bone, I think she is long enough bodied. She has a good leg and a good square hip. Just needs some extra thickness. Really just needs something to compliment her EPD's. The one I have here has a near perfect udder. IMO

The one I have will be stuck with Pure Gold. I'm leaning that way with the heifer. Except for the $100/straw part. Should have no problems calving to much of anything shy of an elephant.
Here is the registration # of the older full sis. EPD info should be real close to the same for the heifer. 42403616
No preference wether the bull is horned or polled. But must be RED Hereford!!
Any thoughts on Robin Hood(ABS)? How bout the "Rusty" bull that Reed's carry? Not interested in P606 or Remitall Highway. Don't ask why, I'm just not. AND NO FELTONS, if you can help it.

Ollie...this is the full sis to the heifer I had in Louisville.

Fire away guys, try to keep the suggestions w/in the $60/straw range, hu?

$60 a straw? Ouch. What will an AI cert cost?

ollie":3bjd833f said:
What do you think of Online?

I really like him. But at $300/straw, I'll just buy 2 and flush with it.
Online has worked very well with this line too. Great suggestion, out of my price range.

If it is 300 a straw I would just buy none. I didn't know the cost. There was a horned bull 25 years ago some friends of mine liked. His name was David. I don't know the prefix of pedigree. Ring any bells? I don't know a thing about him. He may have been right for the times but out of style now. May not be any semen avail. I have some old onion heads in the tank. Vindicator? Nick the Butler? Butlers Image? I think all that old stuff is still in there .

ollie":15gt99wx said:
I have some old onion heads in the tank. Vindicator? Nick the Butler? Butlers Image? I think all that old stuff is still in there .

Got 5 or so units of Butler, I have Perfection too. No matter what I decide to use It has to be shipped. :(

ollie":2s1t6w6y said:
If it is 300 a straw I would just buy none. I didn't know the cost.

I didn't know the price either. Talked to Jim Reed this morning. Last I knew it was still $100.

If only Txag has some frozen on her new young herd sire...

Or I guess I can solve all this and use a stick of Red Angus :D

I was going to say the same thing of Txag's bull. I like him as well or better than any I know of. Hard to get semen froze and shipped today though. How is 8006 working for Monty? I guess his bw epd is pretty high?

Barber had a bull last year Deshazers bought a piece of that is suspose to be good. Looked thick.

ollie":34g5znxd said:
I was going to say the same thing of Txag's bull. I like him as well or better than any I know of. Hard to get semen froze and shipped today though. How is 8006 working for Monty? I guess his bw epd is pretty high?
I like Txag's new bull, right good to. Maybe we can talk to her and give her a hint.

thanks for the compliments on our new bull. as of now there are no plans to collect him (although maybe we should rethink that :D ).

as for bull choices, you mention heifer but i see the full sister is a two year old. are they flushmates? will this be her first calf? are you looking for cow or show or both?

while i really like Rusty, i'm not sure he'll add the thickness you're looking for.

have you considered Thunder? i'm not a big fan of 29F, but i've seen some really nice Thunder calves.

what about Enyeto? Tommy Mead says he's been really pleased with the Enyeto calves. http://www.reedent.com/reedent/cattle/s ... 163met.htm

the bull owned by DeShazer & Barbers is Moler, an Online son P42516026

txag":25tzrh4t said:
thanks for the compliments on our new bull. as of now there are no plans to collect him (although maybe we should rethink that :D ).

Yep. Rethinking that would be an excellent idea, especially for my program. ;-)

as for bull choices, you mention heifer but i see the full sister is a two year old. are they flushmates? will this be her first calf? are you looking for cow or show or both?

Not flush mates. Bought the 2 yr old in their sale last year. Bought the yearling this year. Fill sisters. This will be the heifer in question's first calf. Wanting a brood cow prospect. Show ring is added bonus but not necessary. She needs to be sound and help pay the bills.

while i really like Rusty, i'm not sure he'll add the thickness you're looking for.
That settles that then.

have you considered Thunder? i'm not a big fan of 29F, but i've seen some really nice Thunder calves.
I would use 46B before I would use Thunder. I wouldn't use him on one of my heifers. 8.1 BW epd scares me. That is pushing the envelope here.

what about Enyeto? Tommy Mead says he's been really pleased with the Enyeto calves. http://www.reedent.com/reedent/cattle/s ... 163met.htm

the bull owned by DeShazer & Barbers is Moler, an Online son P42516026
Might look into that suggestion. I really like 8006.

Certs

Cannot remember which one of the two we were chatting about - but for big cows:

PDHR 9322 Domino 69G

BW WW YW Milk M&G
+7.4 +85 +140 +23 +65

This bull has done us really well on mature cows.

The next one has been dead for about 20 years I believe:

We use him on cows and heifers.

KGA 75N Standard Lad 25W

BW WW YW Milk M&G
+5.0 +28 +49 +7 +21

The young bull that we raised from Lad 25W has now thrown 8 calves with about 16 more to go. One heifer was unimpressive. She was the first one - so I was disappointed.

But the others are ... well .. close to outstanding. I think we will keep most of the heifers we get and I have kept 2 young guys whole - on spec.

Go to this page to see their pics.

http://www.cutlerherefords.com/herefords/index.html

Click on Hereford Bulls and scroll down.

I am sure Garth would not mind my advertising his site. He sells their semen and is one truly good person to deal with. I would never hesitate to give him a good review.

Cheers

Bez

Thanks Bez. It was that good Standard Lad 25W bull I was thinking about. Good to hear about your calves. Can I expect pics in a few weeks? :D

Certs

I just got off the phone with Garth - reserving some additional semen. He figures lad 25W has been dead for over 10 years - so my time frame might be off a bit.

I will send some pics and you can post - but not until we are finished calving. Only 20 or so to go.

Bez

Cert, if I am not too late to the discussion, perhaps OXH Mark Domino 8020? If I recall, he is fairly moderate BW, good carcass, decent growth, and highly prized for the maternal value of his daughters. Plus his progeny have been successfully shown. He has perhaps the highest accuracies of any sire out there, partially due to heavy use over the years, and the fact that he is still going at about 14 or 15, which says something about the longevity of the bloodline.

If you don't mind horns, then you might look at Advance 0024K of Holdens. Good heifer bull and has nice balanced EPDs:

BW WW YW MILK M&G FT REA IMF
+2.9 +44 +86 +20 +42 -.011 +.26 -.21

A bargain at $25 per straw- $50 Certificate. He also sired the 3 highest selling bulls at their last sale.

Latest posts