hereford herd

Help Support CattleToday:

All you can do is treat people right, and remember it when somebody doesn't return the favor. We must be fortunate, because some of our closest friends are fellow breeders and the best kind of people. The breed association is of course necessary, but something that we choose not to get involved in.

On a slightly different note, I think the "every man for himself" mentality needs to go. We need to be helping each other. If you look at the bigger picture, our true competition is comprised of PETA, HSUS, and all of those that advocate the adoption of Meatless Mondays and the destruction of our industry. All of the petty bickering going on within breed associations, etc.. is just that.....petty. Kindof like when TFB refused to endorse Ted Cruz over the Democrat after he beat Dewhurst in the primary. Petty.

If you're in South Georgia then you need to call Bill Hatchcock right away and buy one of his young bulls. I've spoken to him multiple times, he has the kind of bull you want for both your registered and commercial herd. There are also pics floating around on here. real nice animals! 770-403-83onezero

ricebeltrancher":3kpjsqce said:
All you can do is treat people right, and remember it when somebody doesn't return the favor. We must be fortunate, because some of our closest friends are fellow breeders and the best kind of people. The breed association is of course necessary, but something that we choose not to get involved in.

On a slightly different note, I think the "every man for himself" mentality needs to go. We need to be helping each other. If you look at the bigger picture, our true competition is comprised of PETA, HSUS, and all of those that advocate the adoption of Meatless Mondays and the destruction of our industry. All of the petty bickering going on within breed associations, etc.. is just that.....petty. Kindof like when TFB refused to endorse Ted Cruz over the Democrat after he beat Dewhurst in the primary. Petty.

I agree with most of what you said.
Now if this board is still around I doubt if I will post how you really think's this work's after about twenty year's of doing this. Everything look's pretty through rose colored glasses. Anybody almost can make money with today's price's, let the market fall again and it will as it cycles. You will get an education.

One bit of advice when developing your herd is to talk to the commercial guys around you. If you are thinking of running a purebred herd and sell bulls then finding out what your buyers and potential buyers want can help in your breeding program. Just hang in there, improving genetics takes some time. :welcome:

machslammer":2pjteia5 said:
CB: How old was that bull calf in that last picture?

If I remember correctly 4 to 5 month's. I remember I sold him for 1200 dollar's at weaning and he is about six miles up the road and still working. He is around 9 now.

Caustic Burno":1268hcn0 said:
machslammer":1268hcn0 said:
CB: How old was that bull calf in that last picture?

If I remember correctly 4 to 5 month's. I remember I sold him for 1200 dollar's at weaning and he is about six miles up the road and still working. He is around 9 now.

nice. good looker.

Show breeders in the breed association around here are moving in the opposite direction of commercial needs. Recently saw some show cows tall enough to walk over my pickup.

If more herefords looked like Knersie's their popularity wouldn't have dropped so much in the states. Those are fine animals.

Latest posts