Hereford foundation sire

Help Support CattleToday:

redfornow

Reaction score
All of this talk of feltons 517 got me thinking.
Yes I know, I was shocked also....

If you were starting over, could breed 40 cows to a hereford bull. What bull would you go with?

I know there is alot of talk about breeding the bull to the cow.
But I am interested more in a breeding "program" not what you get now, but I true foundation to start your program with...

It seems many registered breeders are very short sighted.
What will this calf do? Got alot of that in the EF frank tread.
Rather than the interest of an animal as a breeding tool.
So who would be your bull? And Why?

Who would you start with???

redfornow":2ex158j1 said:
All of this talk of feltons 517 got me thinking.
Yes I know, I was shocked also....

If you were starting over, could breed 40 cows to a hereford bull. What bull would you go with?

I know there is alot of talk about breeding the bull to the cow.
But I am interested more in a breeding "program" not what you get now, but I true foundation to start your program with...

It seems many registered breeders are very short sighted.
What will this calf do? Got alot of that in the EF frank tread.
Rather than the interest of an animal as a breeding tool.
So who would be your bull? And Why?

Who would you start with???
this is a good question.you first have to know an like the cows yiur picking the bull for.your bull must corrct any problems in your cow herd.an produce heifers that you want to build on.an produce top steers.that sale good at the barn.

In making my choice, I was assuming that you meant that the 40 cows would be a "hodge-podge" of pedigrees and phenotypes.

Now, if you were talking about a cowherd that was consistent in pedigree and/or phenotype, I might have a different answer - depending on the pedigree and phenotype represented.

George

LFF, got me thinking. That is when ever you have a longterm plan.
The "product" right now isnt the goal, just a step.

Its seems to me that AI has made it were we mate each cow to a specific bull, thereby getting the best calf (we think) not but maybe not building the herd overall as far as consistant product longterm.

So if you were building a herd from the foundation.
Who would you start with?

redfornow":3hd1lxn0 said:
LFF, got me thinking. That is when ever you have a longterm plan.
The "product" right now isnt the goal, just a step.

Its seems to me that AI has made it were we mate each cow to a specific bull, thereby getting the best calf (we think) not but maybe not building the herd overall as far as consistant product longterm.

So if you were building a herd from the foundation.
Who would you start with?

That was the thinking of my answer, DR Achiever 8403.

While not the perfect bull, phenotypically, and definitely not a high growth numbers bull, he has a record of crossing with many different bloodlines of Hereford cattle and producing good milking, maternal females that also stay in reasonably good shape.

If a person had 20 daughters of Achiever's, that would be an excellent start for a foundation herd, with plenty of options for which bull to use for the next generation.

Whe looking at many of the more prominent Hereford herds in the USA, the problem that I have is that I cannot always see what direction they are trying to go. It seems that they are making breeding decisions on an individual basis, rather than trying to gather up a consistently uniform set of females and continue trying to breed for uniformity.

George

Herefords.US":3p5plymg said:
It seems that they are making breeding decisions on an individual basis, rather than trying to gather up a consistently uniform set of females and continue trying to breed for uniformity.

George

Exactly....
You said it better than I.

I'd go with Remitall Embracer 8E. A good all around bull, calving ease, good growth and just about the right milk epd for me. He around 300 Reg. daughters in production and has sired some decent bulls, he would also be a good base for linebreeding or mix it up right away with an outcross like M326 to help the larger frames you get by using that older styled bull, but still keep those numbers up.

I could sure live with a large group of 8020 daughters. I bought all the semen in Canada a couple years back so I'm going to end up with some eventually.

I've been thinking of Foundation Sire(s) for my future herd and have come up with four:

Braxton Giant 1
CMF 103T Victor 262D
CJH Harland 408
OXH Mark Domino 8020

Of course they will all be subject to change.

Well, I guess I will have to say Circle-D Wrangler 832W and SBR Marathon Man 257T, along with JR Network and Remitall Keynote 20X. Those would be my foundation sires.

THG

CPL":2wnv0cv8 said:
I've been thinking of Foundation Sire(s) for my future herd and have come up with four:

Braxton Giant 1
CMF 103T Victor 262D
CJH Harland 408
OXH Mark Domino 8020

I'd not quarrel much with any of those except Harland - and the only quarrrel I'd have with including him is that there is little data available on him yet. But he may end up the best of the 4!

I'm curious why you chose them. Tell me WHY you'd choose these bulls!

George

Herefords.US":3swuvsl1 said:
CPL":3swuvsl1 said:

Braxton Giant 1
CMF 103T Victor 262D
CJH Harland 408
OXH Mark Domino 8020

I'd not quarrel much with any of those except Harland - and the only quarrrel I'd have with including him is that there is little data available on him yet. But he may end up the best of the 4!

I'm curious why you chose them. Tell me WHY you'd choose these bulls!

George

Had to dig up my notes :lol:

Its funny that you brought up that Harland has little data right now, because that is the exact reason I am using the other 3 bulls. All of the other three have good accuracies and have quite a few progeny reported.

Braxton Giant 1-
Low birthwieght, do ability, and I like the cattle I've seen from him.

CMF 103T Victor 262D-
Again, like the looks of his progeny, including his son 634L. His growth and he has some good bulls in his background.

CJH Harland 408-
Love his phenotype, also his ratios are top notch. I like his dam too.

OXH Mark Domino 8020-
He's a very maternal bull. Fertility, milk and udders. Indexes and carcass value.

Do I think they will set me up for immediate success? No, but will they help me set a foundation for the program I intend to run. Absolutely. Open to suggestions.

My foundation sires are directly marshal m33, m326. Most of my cows all go back to 20X or 517

Well if we can chose young bulls I'm going with my Lad bull hope to have a couple hundred daughters from him fairly quick. He's out of an 8020 granddaughter.

I think the original question was: If you had 40 registered Hereford cows (a hodge-podge) and you could breed them to one bull for the start of your foundation herd, what ONE bull would you use?

Achiever, 8020, 8E, and Braxton Giant 1 are all good proven choices, IMNTBHO.

I'm also curious what particular Line 1 Hereford bull would be favored. My choice for a Line 1 bull would be CL 1 Domino 501.

Which sire would you pick, redfornow?

George

I suppose I'd go with HH ADVANCE 767G 1ET. His daughters are fairly moderate and milk very well. Even with all the milk they produce they are still known to be very fertile. 767 is also a true curve bender with great calving ease and growth.

Runners up for me would be GB L1 DOMINO 250, CL 1 DOMINO 484 and CL 1 DOMINO 824H

Herefords.US":22tbuyph said:
I think the original question was: If you had 40 registered Hereford cows (a hodge-podge) and you could breed them to one bull for the start of your foundation herd, what ONE bull would you use?

I'm also curious what particular Line 1 Hereford bull would be favored. My choice for a Line 1 bull would be CL 1 Domino 501.

George

Well Master Cyber Warrior,

I would go with 606, now the reason is simple. I have seen the problems ie high BW, calving problems. But I have also seen the results. He is a cow improver. He stamps heifers, he just does.

So with that first bull choice.
I have to go with a TRUE CE bull back on em.
Not a curve bender in pretending to be a CE bull.
To many problems.
I lean toward a 774 son.
But interesting Harland was brought up, as i an many others I am sure have my eye on him.

Bet not many agree here.....

MD

redfornow":jl5wmvx7 said:
Herefords.US":jl5wmvx7 said:

George

Well Master Cyber Warrior,

I would go with 606, now the reason is simple. I have seen the problems ie high BW, calving problems. But I have also seen the results. He is a cow improver. He stamps heifers, he just does.

So with that first bull choice.
I have to go with a TRUE CE bull back on em.
Not a curve bender in pretending to be a CE bull.
To many problems.
I lean toward a 774 son.
But interesting Harland was brought up, as i an many others I am sure have my eye on him.

Bet not many agree here.....

MD

Since we're kind of-sort of- not really talking about new bulls, what are some thoughts of PCR 286 MR ADVISOR 502R. I know he doesn't have many calves at all, but the 3 or so they have on the PCR website look pretty nice.