Hereford cows in working clothes pics

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
As per Dylan Biggs' request

Registered cows on veld. The veld is very acidic and is mostly brush, except for Aug, Sept, Oct and part of November when there is supposed to be grass if it rained that winter.
veld-1.jpg

100_4400.jpg

It doesn't matter who you are all the cattle gets equal treatment, heifers, first calvers and mature cows graze together, the better cows just seem to handle the conditions better like the two below. Incidently both bull calves was used in the herd, the first one is still here.
RobertsonVeldbeeskampioen2008.jpg

05330816-1.jpg

Same bull calf as a 21 month old bull
IMG_5353.jpg

Good average cow with a weaning age heifer
IMG_7294.jpg

First calver in 2007 when the veld was good, this calf is the same heifer on the other thread
100_2226.jpg

Replacement heifer, paternal halfsib to all three heifers on the other thread, never seen grain or even hay in her life, did have access to straw last winter untill I ran out after the fire
IMG_7290.jpg

Two more halfsibs, one a 21 month old heifer and the other a first calver, as you can see there is irrigation, but if it doesn't rain there isn't underground water to irrigate with. Hopefully I'll have some oats there his winter. The heifer was shown in February, but her 2 months of luxury is something of the past and she'll have to work like the rest.
IMG_7307.jpg

I try to calf on pasture, but it doesn't always work out like planned, the last time it happened was in 2008
100_3331.jpg

100_3300.jpg

Weaning time, I try to have decent grazing for the weaned bull calves, but that is even more of a hit and miss than having pasture at calving time. These are the same two cows pictured above just to illustrate that they ran with the rest on veld even though I had plans of keeping the bull calves as herd sires.
05290810.jpg

100_5104.jpg

It is amazing to me as how they can survive much less flourish on the veld. It just goes to show you what a good job of breeding and culling can do. I have praised your work before and resist the urge to continue. Just couldn't help it this time.

as usual you have some goodlooking cattle that are well bred.an they thrive in your country very well.where did your breeding stock come from there england or the US.

What strikes me is how much you Veld looks like our high country(except that it's several thousand feet lower) only we have Sage brush instead of whatever you have there. It is however always at the level where they are grazing and easily as hard on the eyes. We also face the same issues relative to precip. If there is not enough rain the BLM grazing permits are just about worthless.

It looks to me like your cows are well adapted to the conditions though. With that much brush I can see why they need to have a good eyeset otherwise they would wear themselves out pretty quick.

Nice looking cattle as always Harley, it's nice to see some of your country and your working cattle. I would gladly ship you some of our rain if I could ... it comes with the mud too.

Alan

3waycross":368atm6y said:
What strikes me is how much you Veld looks like our high country(except that it's several thousand feet lower) only we have Sage brush instead of whatever you have there. It is however always at the level where they are grazing and easily as hard on the eyes. We also face the same issues relative to precip. If there is not enough rain the BLM grazing permits are just about worthless.

It looks to me like your cows are well adapted to the conditions though. With that much brush I can see why they need to have a good eyeset otherwise they would wear themselves out pretty quick.

At least you start off wet every year with the snow melting.

KNERSIE":22xo8irl said:
3waycross":22xo8irl said:

At least you start off wet every year with the snow melting.

Some years, but this is sandy rock country and the low country snow doesn't make for much grass unless we get a lot of spring precip. All that snow on the mountains goes to the irrigation ditches but if you don't own water rights yer screwed.

What is the frame score on your cattle, just an average? The cattle look good!

They look as though they might be shorter sided and smaller framed then a lot of the cattle over here.

Cattle look good Knersie. Looks like interesting country side.

Some interesting colour variation in the cattle. The bull calf with the red patch on the muzzle is a marking I haven't seen before.

What kind of system do you irrigate with?

JHH":1s7vasju said:
Very nice. What do other breeds look like if run like you do yours? For example angus or simmy

Thanks Jay H

The right type angus do OK, but they become increasingly hard to find, simmental will raise one helluva calf, but only one and never breed back

oakcreekfarms":2p9j02ko said:
What is the frame score on your cattle, just an average? The cattle look good!

They look as though they might be shorter sided and smaller framed then a lot of the cattle over here.

They are all between a frame 4.5 and 5.5

Dylan Biggs":2tpm4i5m said:
Cattle look good Knersie. Looks like interesting country side.

Some interesting colour variation in the cattle. The bull calf with the red patch on the muzzle is a marking I haven't seen before.

What kind of system do you irrigate with?

The cheapest permanent kind, ie old used vineyard posts and polypipe with a cheap poly sprinkler, scattered 15m x 15m

Love the cattle, lot's of natural thickness, natural fleshing ability ...moderate. I just love to see those type of females raise calves like that !!

Thanks for sharing your pic's with us

jenran":1gua1b9y said:
Love the cattle, lot's of natural thickness, natural fleshing ability ...moderate. I just love to see those type of females raise calves like that !!

Thanks for sharing your pic's with us

so maybe you would share some of your pics - maybe your champion bull. (unless you are not who i think you are)

what do your calves typically weigh at 205 days old, a few of those look to be fairly hefty

Latest posts