Hereford Bull Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

mrvictordomino

Reaction score
A few pictures of some of last falls bull crop. Ages are 10-11 months. To be scanned in about six weeks.

967 202

475 280

475 232

960 262

Nice calves. Are they creep fed?

Not to be critical but it seems like it is hard to get less than year old bull calves to look like that without significant creep feeding.

Jim

Bull calves are put on the best grass available in the spring and have access to a 13% ration consisting of soy hulls, gluten, rice bran,
some cotton seed hulls if I remember correctly. No corn in the ration. They run in a thirty acre pasture all summer. Note the grass
is very good this year, abundant rainfall therefore less feed consumed. Normally, the ration is to help with the summer time fescue
when the grazing value is decreased, just keeps them moving forward. After scanning, they will be hand fed.
DM

SRBeef":209fwhqa said:
Nice calves. Are they creep fed?

Not to be critical but it seems like it is hard to get less than year old bull calves to look like that without significant creep feeding.

Jim
I don't think you are critical Jim, this management system is used to let them express what they can do without truly pushing them
like some do. No dry lot feeding and no high energy rations. All bulls developed on the same regiment so I can compare bull crops with as
much consistency as possible. My records are for me since I am my first customer.

mrvictordomino":2oeu3v45 said:
Bull calves are put on the best grass available in the spring and have access to a 13% ration consisting of soy hulls, gluten, rice bran,
some cotton seed hulls if I remember correctly. No corn in the ration. They run in a thirty acre pasture all summer. Note the grass
is very good this year, abundant rainfall therefore less feed consumed. Normally, the ration is to help with the summer time fescue
when the grazing value is decreased, just keeps them moving forward. After scanning, they will be hand fed.
DM

What yo are doing is not that different that how we finish the bulls that do not go on test. The big difference is you are able to feed fall calves on green grass and grain we have to feed them hay all winter.
Believe me when i say there is one hellova difference in the results.

Do you hold them over another winter or do you sell them in the fall?

3waycross":2iw7ayps said:
mrvictordomino":2iw7ayps said:
DM

What yo are doing is not that different that how we finish the bulls that do not go on test. The big difference is you are able to feed fall calves on green grass and grain we have to feed them hay all winter.
Believe me when i say there is one hellova difference in the results.

Do you hold them over another winter or do you sell them in the fall?
Bulls are offered October 1st since by that time I would have all information back from scanning and yearling data processed.
You are correct, having good grass is an advantage. I used to calve in the spring years ago and I know what you are talking about.

The bull calves look good as does the pasture they are standing in. I am looking forward to seeing the cows and calves as well. Hopefully the good moisture continues!

Just to add my 2cents in. I have had the pleasure of going to see Mr. Vic Domino's cattle twice and they look great in pictures and look even more impressive in person. Excellent animals and "Bubba" is a specimen for sure to see, can't wait to see his offspring. Thanks again for the tours Mr. Vic Domino.

Latest posts