Hereford angus F1

Help Support CattleToday:

If you use a Hereford you will get about 50% red white face calves and 50% black white face. An Angus bull will give you more baldies as well as some solid blacks. If the dock for red calves is bad in your area, and you don't want any heifers, then it would probably be better to go angus, or some sort of homo black continental composite, (balancer, limflex, simangus, etc.)

fitz":1lvo3ie1 said:
bmoore87":1lvo3ie1 said:
we are crossing back over our baldies with gelbvieh since its got good growth and maternal traits.

Just realized I misspoke. We are actually breeding to a gelbvieh "balancer" for are cross over the baldies with end goal of being at roughly 50 angus, 25% hereford, 25% gelbvieh doing around a 10 year rotation to replace the herd on each different cross. We are about in the middle of the first cross over to baldies but are currently using some terminal balancers on the bottom 2/3 of the cows that we dont breed to hereford and the baldies that we have put into the herd so far. We will switch to some more maternal balancers (I like Judd Ranch) when we start keeping out of the baldies for the third cross.

I like Balancers. We bought a small herd of Longhorn cows that had balancer calves by their side. I liked the way they grew. Also, all but about 3 or 4 came out solid black and I believe everyone knows how hard it can be to get a solid black calf out of a Longhorn cow.

First off there is no Black Hereford as it is not recognized by the AHA.
Secondly I wouldn't want to wade off in that gene pool.
If you want one I got several in the pasture we refer to them in this part of the world
as Black Baldies. I will give you a roll of toilet paper to go with him be of more use than the
papers on a scam.
You would giving up pounds IMO as you are going to loose hybrid vigor with that cross.
Depending on your location Brangus or Gelbvieh would make a good terminal calf.

Gators Rule":3uu30gud said:
I see no advantage to using a so-called black Hereford,but I do see several disadvantages. Since we are talking about terminal and possibly some heifers to sell as breeding stock, I would much rather consider going with a Simmy or GV. Both will give you a great three-way cross, and also deliver some very good maternal traits to your F1 Angus/Hereford. If looking for strictly terminal, I would look at Simmental, limousin, or Char. If you are in the deep South, then a good solid Beefmaster or Brangus bull might also be a good choice. Or Simbrah. Of course, if I were breed pimping, I would go with the Simmental. LOL. If everybody is being honest, there are a lot of solid directions you can go with your cattle.

Go ahead and pimp them Simmentals Gator, you a can do that as long as you keep them old limi's in the back pasture to pay there way!! :p

Hi-Bra is the way to go. Good Brahma Highlander cross bull could improve anything. Brahma makes them thrive in the summer, highlander makes them thrive in the winter. If your going to use a composite bull you might as well go on and use one that brings a lot of different traits to the table.

Red Bull Breeder":2egb16eo said:
Gators Rule":2egb16eo said:
I see no advantage to using a so-called black Hereford,but I do see several disadvantages. Since we are talking about terminal and possibly some heifers to sell as breeding stock, I would much rather consider going with a Simmy or GV. Both will give you a great three-way cross, and also deliver some very good maternal traits to your F1 Angus/Hereford. If looking for strictly terminal, I would look at Simmental, limousin, or Char. If you are in the deep South, then a good solid Beefmaster or Brangus bull might also be a good choice. Or Simbrah. Of course, if I were breed pimping, I would go with the Simmental. LOL. If everybody is being honest, there are a lot of solid directions you can go with your cattle.

Go ahead and pimp them Simmentals Gator, you a can do that as long as you keep them old limi's in the back pasture to pay there way!! :p

You know, I never really thought about it that way! Hmmmm. Maybe I need to flip flop their pasture arrangement! :clap:

No need to be a hater :)
Hereford and Angus are both good breeds, black hides sale better than red in most places. Many breeds have their positives and negatives.
Basically Rniemann you need to follow what you want to produce and sale. There are many good and bad suggestions alike on this forum (some are put your decisions down for being different) but your F1s will be the best mothers on the hoof. By putting some purebreed blood back in your cross will give you the best results.

Not bashing on black herefords, but I see several disadvantages using black Hereford on black baldy cows. Lack of heterosis means no pounds for the sale. Have a black hide doesn't mean they will sells well at the sale if the calves looks like a hereford.

The heterosis is there when the black hereford is hasthe higher percentage hereford blood line, not with the F1 cross bulls that some people are using. The markings have made a difference on the market, look how the black white face has changed commercial cattle sales.
But as always every barrel has its monkeys in it :).
Great conversation.

sim.-ang.king":10f41jgp said:
There would be some but near the same as using a non-english.
In reality you'ld be slipping back towards the breed regression rather then heterosis.

dun":2cye76e2 said:
sim.-ang.king":2cye76e2 said:
There would be some but near the same as using a non-english.
In reality you'ld be slipping back towards the breed regression rather then heterosis.
Hence, some calves will looks like more hereford with a black hide than your typical black baldy.