"Herder" bull

Help Support CattleToday:

This is his third breeding season. And he's calmed right down thankfully. I don't think we would have kept him around if he hadn't! We're getting lots of blaze faced calves from him :)

JCcattle said:
This is his third breeding season. And he's calmed right down thankfully. I don't think we would have kept him around if he hadn't! We're getting lots of blaze faced calves from him :)

Usually as they get older they get smarter and do things like merely stand in the gate and prevent the herd from going where you've got them headed. I would not cull a bull due to the trait but I would not breed for it either.

Have seen it all my life. But the worst was a friends bull a few summers ago. His water was across the fence from the neighbors water. He wouldn't let his cows get close enough to water as long as the neighbors cattle were in their corner drinking. Think he finally moved his water further away. I wouldn't put up with that.

IMO compulsive herders are typically high libido bulls with excessive territorial behavior. My experience is they get more obsessive as they age and highly prone to instigating fights with other bulls during and after breeding season.
No correlation to docility or lack thereof of their progeny.

ClinchValley said:
I too have a young bull who is obsessed with herding the girls. Makes rotating a pain sometimes. I hadn't thought about neglecting his duties. Is this a very common problem with bulls who like to herd?

Have a young Hereford bull that does this. It definitely makes rotating pastures a pain. He bred everything within a 38 day window last year. He likes his ladies in a tight social group I reckon. :roll:

Latest posts