Help me understand these numbers

Help Support CattleToday:

jallen

Reaction score
I have tried to copy and paste some EPD numbers on a bull. I just wondered if anyone could take the time to help me understand some of this. I have done a good bit of reading and understand what most of the numbers stand for but don't know much more than that. I just trying to educate myself. Thanks if anyone doesn't mind helping.

CED
Acc BW 2.1
Acc WW 56
Acc YW 103
Acc MA 23
Acc CEM 5
Acc SC 0.6
Acc ST na
Acc DOC 13
Acc CW 44
Acc REA 0.5
Acc YG .01
Acc MARB -0.05
Acc $MTI 45
BW--82

jallen":2m4wks2u said:
I have tried to copy and paste some EPD numbers on a bull. I just wondered if anyone could take the time to help me understand some of this. I have done a good bit of reading and understand what most of the numbers stand for but don't know much more than that. I just trying to educate myself. Thanks if anyone doesn't mind helping.

CED----Calving Ease % -The higher the better(how easy the calves will be born)
Acc BW 2.1-----Birth Weight % - The lower the better(how big the calves will be)
Acc WW 56------Weaning Weight %
Acc YW 103------Yearling Weight %
Acc MA 23--------Marbeling
Acc CEM 5--------Someone can correct me on this but i think this is maternal calving ease
Acc SC 0.6-------Scrotal Circumference
Acc ST na
Acc DOC 13------Docility #
Acc CW 44-------Carcass Weight
Acc REA 0.5------Ribeye Area
Acc YG .01-------Yeild Grade
Acc MARB -0.05--Marbling
Acc $MTI 45------Not sure exactly, but some type of value added #
BW--82------------Actual Birth Weight of Bull

Hope this helps.

Look here:
http://www.ansc.purdue.edu/ibep/faq/epd-index.htm

Big thing to keep in mind is that epds are just a tool that can be used to compare expected differences between the calves of Bull A vs Bull B of the same breed - if bred to similar cows.
Accuracy(Acc.) is important, too. If a bull is young, or has few recorded offspring, his Acc will be low and the epds may or may not accurately reflect what the actuality is.
Keep in mind, too, that for most breeds, 'average' is not zero.

There are 'across-breed epd' tables, and I have used them for some breeding selections, but I'm not sure they're all that accurate.

One other trick is they are on a bell vurve so 33% of the offspring can be outside of the EPD numbers either above or below.
ACC is Accuracy, anything below .8 falls almost into the SWAG category

Latest posts