help deciding on a headgate.

Help Support CattleToday:

TXMike

Reaction score
I am getting ready for fall and am going to worm, vaccinate, and ear tag my cows. As much as Id love to get a squeeze chute I dont think my 10 head justifys the price of one. Earlier this year i had a calf cut her leg and I just tied a piece of hog panel to the exit alley and closed a gate behing her and she was tame enough to let me doctor her up. it was kind of diffcult because she would walk forwards and backwards and id have to move back and forth to work on her. I saw on RFD a special on worming and they suggested using a oral drench and a pour on so I thought I would try it and decided now is as good a time as ever to invest in a head gate.

Ive looked at several brands and having never used one cant decide on what type of gate to buy. Id like to stay as cheap as possible but if one is a better system i wouldnt be opposed to spending more. The tarter cattleman auto seems to be the cheapest I found, $434, and I like that it seems easily attachable to wood posts as my pen is built out of railroad ties. I was curious if since its auto if it could be manually operated. I really like the priefert model 91, but it is on the higher end, $716. They also have the model 97 I found for $450, but its a manual and I dont know that if something happened and i needed to use it that i would have somebody here to run it with me. I dont know if id be able to attach the priefert to my posts easily or if id have to spend the money on their head gate holder. I looked at the tractor supply models but was confused about the standard and heavy duty models and they were expensive, $600 standard and $800 heavy duty. The WW seemed identical to the Tarter but more expensive.

Im open to any and all suggestions and if anyone knows better prices please let me know. I made a rough drawing of my pen to give an idea of my setup.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Go with the Priefert autocatch. It bolts up just fine to posts. They also have a heavy screen type deal that mounts to it and the cows front feet are on it. If they lunge it takes some of the pressure off the posts.
Another thing thats nice about the prifert is that if you decide later on to get a chute you can buy just the chute and mount the headgate to it.

Hello TXMike, One suggestion I would make on your pen is to have a recapture pen around your headgate or squeeze chute. That way if you miss one or forget to do something you have not lost them. For example when I bring my heifers in to AI them my bulls are in the lot next to them,so I can AI them and get them right back out. I'm not trying to cause you work or money but I think it is worth it. JMHO Also, you might have some luck finding an older squeeze chute at an Auction,CL or Farmtalk for bout what a new head gate will be. I bought an older Filson Squeeze Chute bout a year ago for $600. Good luck B+G

Black and Good":aib8xgud said:
Hello TXMike, One suggestion I would make on your pen is to have a recapture pen around your headgate or squeeze chute. That way if you miss one or forget to do something you have not lost them.
Excellent suggestion!

dun":28lbs1h3 said:
Black and Good":28lbs1h3 said:
Hello TXMike, One suggestion I would make on your pen is to have a recapture pen around your headgate or squeeze chute. That way if you miss one or forget to do something you have not lost them.
Excellent suggestion!
sometimes what we do is put panels around around the headgate in case we miss one instead of having another pen or having the headgate to where when you let one out it is back in the corral partly in my case and the way you have this drawn so you can still back up to the headgate to load. for a headgate i would get a priefert or foremost i have a priefert and right now can not think of the model but it was the best one they had 4 years ago and it was 650$ remember you can buy the headgate now and then later buy the squeeze chute without the gate and put yours on it.

I have two of the Priefert auto catch ones and one manual type. One of each is on a squeeze chute. They work very well. Even though I almost always work cows by my self. I prefer to manually catch them either in the chute or in the alley with a gate or a board behind them before opening up the head gate. To me it is less stressful for the animal when they don't slam the gate to trigger the auto catch. I catch them, then ease the gate open and as they start to move through it, shut it. Less noise and less stress for everyone.The cow is moving slower so you don't miss many. To me the Priefert auto catch's work better than others with swinging doors. The Priefert web site has a video where one of the Priefert's show you how to use one.

I appreciate all the advice. I don't have a recapture pen because the pens are in a small pasture, maybe 1-1.5 acre and all my cows come running if I shake a feed sack so I figure it shouldn't be to hard to get em back in the working pens if I had to and then I could use the gates to get specific ones I may have missed. I do like the priefert stuff a lot I went to mccoys and looked at some. And I agree that the way they open would be best so I could still back my trailer up to the gate to load. To add to my dilemma though I got $700 I forgot was coming to me so now I could either buy a brand new head gate or just spend the money I would have spent on a headgate and the extra cash to buy a used squeeze chute.... Does my 10 head really even need a squeeze chute? I don't have a brand and I don't AI so I can't think of any reasons I really need a squeeze chute....

If you can get and don't, you'll break your leg later trying to kick your own a55. After all it's an investment that you can always get rid of probably at a profit. And you won't really appreciate your investment until you HAVE to use it.

Squeeze chute.
Stop thinking for the now and think for the what if and for the future.

Automatic head catch. Don't throw labor away on pulling a lever. Everyone has better stuff to do.

Look around and see what there is for sale you might find a good used squeeze chute but if not like i said get the best priefert headgate and then the rest of the squeeze chute later the time i did this it did not cost anymore at separate times than in one deal.

I have worked lots of cattle in all brands of chutes. In my opinion the priefert is by far the best headgate and squeeze chute on the market. One handed operation, no latches yo release. The self catching gates that swing like the WW or Filson are not what they seem. I have seen cattle get there shoulders through and get caught at the hips then you have a real problem. The manual
prieferts are just fine. You can run them up close and put a pole behind the (if you only have a head gate) then open the gate and catch them. It is easier on your cattle that way. They don't hit the gate near as hard. I bought a new Priefert model S01 it is perfect with sliding rear gate. I worked 1500 steers in mine last year. Wouldn't take for it. Hope this helps.

Txmike - I ended up buying an automatic priefert headgate and squeeze chute. It cost $2,300 at Atwoods. It took me several side jobs to save up the money, but it is worth every penny. I do not have to worry about them dancing on my feet, breaking my arm or even worse. I have just gotten into the cow business and for me it was the best insurance I could get. Phil

Thanks for all the advice. Im gonna just get a squeeze chute. If anybody happens to see a decent deal around east texas area Id be interested. I cant pick one up until the next couple weeks anyways, last month a kid fell asleep and hit my truck and sure enough he doesnt have enough insurance to cover it so its taking a while...

I found a company called E&W squeeze chutes. they seem really reasonably priced at $1850 for a brand new squeeze chute. has anybody used or heard of them? I searched around but couldnt find any reviews on them. I like that you can completely open them up outwards so it wouldnt be in the way when loading up the trailer.

Have a friend with one and I don't care for it. Even he likes my Priefert better. Would strongly advise to spend a little more for a Priefert. Atwoods has the best prices that I have found.

Those swinging type of headgates are a real pain. That's one of the best things about the Prieferts is the sliding/scissors type of deal.

I like prieferts scissor catch myself but most of ours have horns. My suggestion is to build a crash cage in front of the head catch. Built ours out of some old pipe and mounted it right to the chute.If you miss one they cant get all the way through and it eliminates ever catching one by the hips. just simply back them up and try again.

I'm definitely a newbie with 6 head.
I got a old rusty used 30 year old manual Priefert headgate for 100 clams.
Priefert sent me all new shiny parts for free, not even shipping.
I mounted it on 6x6x8 posts concreted in.
My big ass Herefords cant even budge it. It works well and i didn't spend a fortune.
priefertgate.jpg

Latest posts