help deciding on a headgate.

Help Support CattleToday:

When I was looking for a chute and headgate a few years ago I started out looking for used ones.

I came to the conclusion that if I bought a used chute I would have to buy a welder also... Chutes are just something you should buy new. And get the palp cage on it also if you have cows.

Remind yourself that a new chute and headgate is much cheaper than the doctor bills from not having a chute. And it is something you need whether you have 5 head or 500.

Vets around Wisconsin will usually bring their own chute (trailer) if they can back it up to your alley.

I bought a For-most setup which is a very simple basic system. I have the A25 self catch swinging headgate. It works well on any animals over about 300 lb up to my 2100 lb bull. My vet has a For-most chute but with a manual headgate. The manual works on smaller calves better than my self catch.

Good luck.

Jim

I found a priefert rancher 81 squeeze chute with trailer in good shape for $2000. It's got the auto or manual headgate, sound like a good deal?

TXMike":yx5cdxjz said:
I found a priefert rancher 81 squeeze chute with trailer in good shape for $2000. It's got the auto or manual headgate, sound like a good deal?
If it works it is a good deal

I've seen several head gates in E Texas on Cragslist lately, some look better than others.
There's one in a little town called Sacul in Nacadoches county for $200, but the pic is so vague ya can't tell anything about it. Laying down in the tall grass. An American Farmland chute in Lufkin. A W&W chute in Como. A Powder River chute in Ennis. An E&W in Moody which is east central Tx. One in Bryan.
None are as good as Priefert imo.

MODEL 93 Prefert Chute and headgate on a wishbone trailer in Burnett.

I'm always leery of CL ads tho.

(hope this doesn't violate the "NO ADS" rule.)

TXMike":1pb4ti9n said:

Suggest you avoid the older priefert squeezes where the squeeze is operated by a foot pedal. The squeeze mechanism is located in the neck area of the chute and interferes with neck access for shots. That is why Priefert redesigned their chutes a few years ago. Bought a like new SO4 at an auction last year for $2000 and the Rancher SO1 model can be bought new for less than $2500 last time i checked.

edit-Atwoods usually has the best prices for new Priefert products with McCoy's usually being slightly higher. Both will usually sell quite a bit under list price.

Just another 2 cents worth.

Texas PaPaw":11vjdnk0 said:
TXMike":11vjdnk0 said:

Suggest you avoid the older priefert squeezes where the squeeze is operated by a foot pedal. The squeeze mechanism is located in the neck area of the chute and interferes with neck access for shots. That is why Priefert redesigned their chutes a few years ago. Bought a like new SO4 at an auction last year for $2000 and the Rancher SO1 model can be bought new for less than $2500 last time i checked.

edit-Atwoods usually has the best prices for new Priefert products with McCoy's usually being slightly higher. Both will usually sell quite a bit under list price.

I'll second to avoid the shin cracker pedal.

dun":15zealmb said:
Texas PaPaw":15zealmb said:
TXMike":15zealmb said:

I'll second to avoid the shin cracker pedal.

Excellent point Dun!!

If you buy a foot operated squeeze you will also need to invest in shin guards for you're entire crew.

Well it appears to be foot operated.... Haven't seen it in person yet. Was headed out there today and found out it was Columbus day and couldn't get any cash. Here a picture it looks like it has a foot pedal to me. I only have 6 head right now and plan to have a total of 10 for breeding stock and sell the calves so I shouldn't run to many through the chute. Would the foot pedal still be a dealbreaker to y'all for the price?

215B6015-1078-4B96-B80C-153503C3C57D-1583-0000027404A365F5.jpg

dun":8tdpy9o4 said:
TXMike":8tdpy9o4 said:
Would the foot pedal still be a dealbreaker to y'all for the price?
It would be for me!

Me too. Should be able to get a used late model one for that price. Call the nearest McCoy's and price a new one. The "Rancher" model should work just fine for you for just a few 100 more or keep an eye on craigslist for a late model used one.

Texas PaPaw":ito1ncvx said:
dun":ito1ncvx said:
TXMike":ito1ncvx said:
Would the foot pedal still be a dealbreaker to y'all for the price?
It would be for me!

Me too. Should be able to get a used late model one for that price. Call the nearest McCoy's and price a new one. The "Rancher" model should work just fine for you for just a few 100 more or keep an eye on craigslist for a late model used one.
I wouldn;t be able to afford all of the Mercurochrome I would need for shins

I thought I would share this info. Just FYI yesterday I bought a Preifert headgate manual with the grate they stand on. Bout ten years old I'm guessing. The guy brought it to me for $275.00. I just thought I'd let you all know for reference. I think that was a pretty fair price.
:tiphat:

And for further reference I bought a powder river manual Headgate used lightly but not very shiny for 400 bucks a year or so ago. Just tonight picked up a tartar auto catch squeeze and dolly for 3k brand new.
Whole lot of price range in equipment depending kn where you are located

A lot of good ideals on what head gate to get here. I have a Priefert auto catch and works better than any I have ever tried.

jltrent":2mbiias5 said:
A lot of good ideals on what head gate to get here. I have a Priefert auto catch and works better than any I have ever tried.
I never could find a used Priefert here but I'm tickled to death with my new one! It's a life time tool and the pain of buying new has long worn off with how well it has performed.

I have a Big Valley that is permanently installed that I use a lot (probably similar to a Tartar or Behlen since it's from Southern States). I hate it. I've replaced the headgate on the squeeze with a cheaper type the folds back. I've had cattle slip through those before though. If they enter with their legs just right they can squeeze a shoulder though. I had a heifer stuck between her ribs and her pelvis once. We got her out but it solidified my hate of the design. The other thing I hate about them is cattle hitting them and backing up. They can pull it back without it latching.

I have a mobile Priefert squeeze that I love. I like it because it comes in from the sides instead of folding in on their neck. So it fits all sizes of cattle. Although mine is an automatic, I don't use it as that...I've had cattle hit it just right and it burst back open in auto mode so I just open it for them. It's also mobil. I got the dolly that goes with it. It's great for satellite farms with no facilities. I've bought an extra Priefert tub system to go with my chute to keep in other places.

As far as costs...figure it up this way. How much is it worth to catch and vaccinate a cow? I get charged at least a dollar to weigh a calf at the local buyer. You will pay about 15 dollars between cow and calf vaccines each year. If you AI you will pay another 60 bucks a head to run them through this chute. Take how many times you will run an animal through it a year and charge them all a dollar. You'll find it's really easy to justify good facilities. Given that mine is mobile, I probably use it for 700 times each year. If it costs 3000 and has a salvage value of $1500...it doesn't take long to justify it.

EDIT: I'll add that I use it to help my neighbors out too. I charge them for supplies, per hour labor, and $1 per head run through the chute plus $20 set up.

VirginiaCattle":3njio9bz said:
I have a mobile Priefert squeeze that I love. I like it because it comes in from the sides instead of folding in on their neck. So it fits all sizes of cattle.
That's one of the things I like about the Priefert. We catch baby clves upto a ton bull with no adjustments