heifers- which one's better?

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
blackheifer9_51107.jpg

blackheifer12_51107.jpg

Critique 'em for me. ;-) You can be blunt... they're just cows; you won't hurt my feelings.
TIA

OK. :p So... point out their strengths and weaknesses to me, please. What's good or bad about them?

FYI, they're around 10-11 months.

I like the first better than the second, more capacity. Plus she has white on her bag, just a personal preference.

Are they related? Both have the same weak rear quarter, but I have some much worse that produce good calves. Proof's in the pudding.

I'll go with #1.

cfpinz

i actually like the second one better but only b/c i see her face and shes slicker, lol. in fact she looked brangusy at first GLANCE.

granted the first one does appear to have more capacity and they are both lacking in the rear. i assume they are holsteinxangus?

2 also appears to have more length. she may be more feminine in the front, but i cant tell, not seeing the others face kind of throws me off.

pros: they are both alive and healthy.

You would have a more successful picture-taking experience if you would pose them with their heads up.

Heifer #1 - will mature into an average, mediocre cow, with poor musculature and less than optimal functional traits.

Heifer #2 - is less desirable as a Beef Cow than is #1, with less capacity, is shallow-bodied, ewe-necked, has a pinched heartgirth, and lacks hindquarters.

Both heifers are funnel butted and light boned.

DOC HARRIS

to REALLY compare the two i'd like to see them side by side in a pic.

#1 for sure would be my choice, she has a little more capacity.

blk mule

Well... I tried and tried, but I can't get both of them in the same picture. :p

Here's slightly different pics of the two though...

heifer9resized.jpg

heifer12resized.jpg

They are holstein/angus crosses. Same sire.

That second set of pics nails it. Definitely #1. They are both too.....dairy for my taste, but both should be good cows. I think 1 has more length from her hooks to her pins, a little better top, more depth of rib, more guts, and in general will be the easier keeping cow.

I like them both but #1 is probably the better looking of the 2. I know that neither is perfect but I like Angus Holstein cross cows. Put a Charolais bull on them and you will have some good calves. I have a pasture full of cows that look like that and they do pretty good in raising calves.

No hindquarter; not enough heart girth nor flank girth. We would not use them.

Nurse cows... breed in the fall, calve in the spring, sell one cow, keep the other. I won't make my final decision on who gets kept until after I see their performance; breeding, calving, maternal instinct, udders, milking ability, but if all things are equal, the better looking, easier keeping heifer gets kept. Thanks for the input.

Like this steer better than the heifers?
steer10_51307.jpg

He's a half-brother to the other two. He's going to be dinner this fall. :p