Heifers nursing each other. Problem?

Help Support CattleToday:

I manage the cows, won;t have on that manages me. That's what this is.

We had a few over the years. Dad had some ruff ways of doing things now and again. He made a halter with two rows of horse shoe nails drove thru the back of the nose band of the halter. You need two of these. In a day they won't even stand close to one another. Nor will any other cow let them nurse. Easier to just sell them.

I usually put a bull ring with 4-5 inches of chain hooked to it in their noses, It makes it real hard to suck with the chain in the way. works on most all of them. couple of years the chain wears in to & falls off

Supa Dexta":51yea4qo said:
Separate them as best you can.. And give it time.. I've seen them grow out of it, once they have a calf on them. Would be great if you could tie them up, or even move them away from one another for a season.

You can also put ring in their noses if it comes down to it.
Had a yearing steer that was waiting for his mom for four months.....then push off his younger sister and suckled. The momma did fight off but gave in.

I've talked to a few folks in the industry that told me to put a bull ring in their noses. For a few dollars....I'll try it, but after they calve. I switched which ones I had in the 6 acre pen the couple I have in there now seem content. We will be getting 8 more in a few weeks so I'll just dump the new ones in there with them. If calving doesn't cure it I'll just try the rings.

Person number ...whatever..... who comes here and asks for advice looking for someone who agrees with what he already planned to do........this really used to bother me and then I realized................

I DON'T REALLY CARE ANYMORE. :(

I hadn't planned on doing anything when I originally posted the question because I didn't know what my options were at the time. Since all I read was sell sell sell sell sell, I decided that I should investigate this more as that was not an option that I wanted to explore. I am familiar with forums and the fact that anyone with the ability to type with an index finger on each hand can sign up and post their opinions. I wanted to see what folks on this board thought so I could weigh their opinions and get ideas. Then I questioned some other folks and found that selling is not the only option. If I can try a ring for a few dollars and it works, would you think I made the right decision? If it doesn't work and I have more problems, then yes, selling will be an option at that time. I may know a lot of stuff, but this is my first year for cow/calf and I have a lot to learn. I'm the first to admit that. I'm glad it doesn't bother you anymore. Arguing on the Internet is like the special Olympics...regardless of who wins, you are both special. LOL So, thanks for your help. LOL

Seaduck fan. LOL At least he probably doesn't wear flip-flops, Gary. LOL

Anyway, I do appreciate all the ideas and opinions, everyone. Not trying to be a walking cane, but I'm not going to give up just yet either. :cowboy:

Latest posts