Heifers nursing each other. Problem?

Help Support CattleToday:

4x4dually

Reaction score
What is everyone thoughts on heifers nursing each other? We have two that won't leave each other alone. They are due to calve in 4-8 weeks. I tried separating them but barbed wire won't keep them apart. Other than locking one up in the pipe lot fence, I'm not sure what to do. Is this a problem? Will it take nutrients away from the onboard calves? Thoughts? The heifers are three year old now and they are carrying their second calves.

Its a habit that they will continue. They will drink all the colostrum meant for the calf and once calved it a pretty good chance the will continue and the calf will starve to death.

Really if you are asking why this is a problem, i guess you dont want to grow any calves. Most of the time they will continue this behavior with any cow that will let them.

Ship the one you like the least and get a supply of replacement colostrum for the others calf

or ship them both and be done with it...........

of course if you like worrying then keep one or both and spend all you time wondering why your calves are dinky or dead.

life is too short for this kind of crap. Now if they are flush quality registered cows you might want to build them both a Fort Knox pen of their own and keep them.

Well, they are registered quality heifers bought last year so I'm trying to figure out what to do with them other than sell and re-buy bred ones at $2800 a pop. Dammit. Salers with great EPD's. This my first year with mommas so I'm trying to figure it all out. I figured it was a stupid question but I'll never claim to be an expert at it so that's why I'm here. :)

This is actually one time I'm glad to have a tie stall barn, where I tie my replacement heifers up. Seems to get them weaned good and proper, tames them down and let's me keep a close eye on intake and growth.

4x4dually":1bm3vj23 said:
Well, they are registered quality heifers bought last year so I'm trying to figure out what to do with them other than sell and re-buy bred ones at $2800 a pop. Dammit. Salers with great EPD's. This my first year with mommas so I'm trying to figure it all out. I figured it was a stupid question but I'll never claim to be an expert at it so that's why I'm here. :)

the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. The replies are blunt but its not meant in malice. If all you have are just a few cows then you may have time to try and salvage the situation. I would also watch and make sure they are not sucking themselves.

I have thick skin. Blunt replies don't bother me, this is daycare compared to the diesel forums. LOL

We have 12 of these girls and will buy 8 more come end of Feb. Maybe it will be 10. These two are standing side by side sucking each other. I've seen them. The others at least have the decency to fight them off. What makes me mad is they are my favorite two out of the bunch personality and calf wise. The one is named after the kids dog that got ran over so I'm sure that will go over well with the kids.

Who knows what we will do. I'm not the boss anyway, I'm just the guy that welds all the fence, feeds, and fights all the physical battles. :lol:

Separate them as best you can.. And give it time.. I've seen them grow out of it, once they have a calf on them. Would be great if you could tie them up, or even move them away from one another for a season.

You can also put ring in their noses if it comes down to it.

As well as electric fences..
I have a yearling heifer that tries to nurse any cow around.. If she doesn't straighten up in the next 2 months she's outta here

I was thinking of getting dog training collars so I could zap them manually when I see it happen.

Thanks. I'm going to try to separate the other one off from the herd tonight. Lexi has proven she can escape. We will try Josie in the pen. Names...ya, I know....hell, our kids even name the calves. LOL

All my cows have names, Up until recently even the steers all had names, but I've run out of ideas now.

A piece of very scientific advice.. Josie is the better one. I've had both a Lexi and a Josie so I know :hide:

Nesikep":1i8h5flp said:
As well as electric fences..
I have a yearling heifer that tries to nurse any cow around.. If she doesn't straighten up in the next 2 months she's outta here

I was thinking of getting dog training collars so I could zap them manually when I see it happen.

I DO NOT RECOMEND IT. not saying it wont work. I have had several dog shock collars and they work on the dog and before I ever put one on a dog I try it on my arm at full blast to make sure it is not going to hurt them. It does shock and it is not painful but will cause the muscle to spasm some. I made the mistake of trying it on a horse on time and he tore all my stuff up before I could get him caught and the collar off of him. I have actually used the collar on my sore muscles in my back and it gives me some relief.

Latest posts