Heifer won't take

Help Support CattleToday:

rgv4":24g3s71u said:
I don't know what kind of cattle everyone has that like to send everything to the salebarn. .

We have the kind that raise a calf Every year :lol: :cboy:

WORANCH":egpjns5m said:
rgv4":egpjns5m said:
I don't know what kind of cattle everyone has that like to send everything to the salebarn. .

Let me clarify: Registered or Commercial.

Most first calf heifers don't have their second calf within 12 months.

rgv4":3bi3hr9y said:

Most breed associations give a heifer 14 months to calve w/ their second calf. After that she better do it in 12.

rgv4":3r2ps556 said:
WORANCH":3r2ps556 said:
rgv4":3r2ps556 said:

We have a tight breeding season. If a heifer was the first to calve as a heifer and the last to calve the next year it would still only be around
12 1/2 -13 months.
It does cost something to feed a heifer if she has a calf or not. Pasture that a productive animal could be eating, minerals and whatever kind of supplement you might use. Slow breeders are slow breeders, doesn't matter if they cost 100 bucks or 10,000. If she can't raise a calf, keep growing and start cycling within at most 2 months post calving either there is a nutritional problem or a fertility problem.

dun

certherfbeef":2emylp37 said:
rgv4":2emylp37 said:

Most breed associations give a heifer 14 months to calve w/ their second calf. After that she better do it in 12.
Mine do it in 12 between the first and second.

dun":2jgwjj96 said:
We have a tight breeding season. If a heifer was the first to calve as a heifer and the last to calve the next year it would still only be around 12 1/2 -13 months.

dun

OOPS! SHould have read 11 1/2 to 13 months.
Just washed my hands and can't do a thing with them

dun

rgv4":21aaanli said:
WORANCH":21aaanli said:
rgv4":21aaanli said:

why would you expect less of your registered herd than you would of your commercial herd?

rgv4":2zc1910o said:
I don't know what kind of cattle everyone has that like to send everything to the salebarn.

But, if you own the land, own all of your equipment, spend anywhere from $2000 to $10,000. on a show heifer,

That's the way we do things at my house.

Number one I would not spend that on a cow, what you spend is your bussiness. My show heifers are shown in the pasture to the salebarn to my billfold. ;-) I raise cattle to sell and eat and we try to do it as cheaply as we can. We run the bull year around and we had actually better get calves every 10 to 11 months. They had better stay fat and healthy on grass. We run working cattle ,can't work no welfare here. Your Fired.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":3dllk0hi said:
You sound like "the Donald" Campground, "Your Fired" :lol:

Maybe so, but that's the right idea. They are employees, if a human employee is a shirker you would have no problem firing them. I provide the resources for them to do their job and expect a fair days work for a fair days pay.

dun

But, if you own the land, own all of your equipment, spend anywhere from $2000 to $10,000. on a show heifer, it doesn't hurt to give them a little extra time to breed back if they lose their first calf. I know that I'm not going to take one to the salebarn and maybe get $600 to $900 for her when she's not costing me anything to just give her some more time.

That's the way we do things at my house.

A lot of peopole do this and most people think its crazy. If you want to win you have got to be willing to shell out the big buck. There are the "great deal" from time to time but in Texas most of the time you have to spend it to win it. I know a lot of you are reading this going "no way that crazy". I used to say the same thing but once you get it in your veins you'll do it to win. I f you had the money you know you would do the dame thing for you own kids.

txshowmom":1sds2408 said:
I f you had the money you know you would do the dame thing for you own kids.
Nope! The best lesson for a kid is teaching them how to lose! Not that its okay to win at any cost!

Oh my kids still lose and they work their butts off at the house. We don't have cool rooms or custom fitters, they do all the work themselves. We just want to get our kids the best calf we can affors. If they start out with something to be proud of they work harder to keep it that way.

txshowmom":2fdez276 said:
We don't have cool rooms or custom fitters, they do all the work themselves.
Is this supposed to represent some kind of hardship? As you can probably tell, I'm not that familiar with the business of showing cattle.

Texan":gsy7tqr3 said:
txshowmom":gsy7tqr3 said:
Then you have NO idea how much work goes into showing cattle.
Gee. Guess NOT..... :oops:

Its about buying the ribbon. In Galveston county they have a commercial show and sell. The calves are donated by commercial cattle to the kids to raise and sell back to the area cattlemen. Mom and Dad can't buy this one. It's about the best heifer no matter the breed, not hair and paint. The judges are cattlemen. This sale and show is about and for the kids not Mom and Dad. I don't live in Galveston county but I make this sale it's for the kids. Every kid wins as all the heifers sell for way more than a fair price.

Its about buying the ribbon. In Galveston county they have a commercial show and sell. The calves are donated by commercial cattle to the kids to raise and sell back to the area cattlemen. Mom and Dad can't buy this one. It's about the best heifer no matter the breed, not hair and paint. The judges are cattlemen. This sale and show is about and for the kids not Mom and Dad. I don't live in Galveston county but I make this sale it's for the kids. Every kid wins as all the heifers sell for way more than a fair price.

I think that great but it really irritates me when people say that the parents are buying the ribbon. We have NEVER paid over 1000.00 for a shhow steeer. My kids only sell their steers. YES we do spend a lot more ofr heifer but they are OUR heifers NOT the kids. The kids do show then but the belong to us and they go in our pasture with our herd when the kids are done showing them. We have stood at the bottom of the class and at the top of the class and my kids work their butts off to get there. And on top of that my kids don't even get to spend their money the get from the sale of their steers. It ALL, every penny, goes into the bank for their college education. A lot of kids we show with get to keep their money and blow it on junk. What is THAT teaching the kids?

rgv4":1oyvhhe0 said:
spend anywhere from $2000 to $10,000. on a show heifer, That's the way we do things at my house.

Thats not trying to buy the show. Horsefeathers! Show cattle are an advertising outlet. Most aren't fit to breed as they are to fat, and fall apart when introduced to the real world. Not always 45 to 50 degrees outside in the rain, snow, heat. It reminds me of Little league its more for Mom and Dad not the kids.

Latest posts