Help with newborn who won't nurse

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Good morning, I am new here and starting with an emergency situation. We raise a few (6-8) cattle for our freezer and family. Had a newborn calf yesterday, 5th for our cow Blackie, with contracted tendons. He could not walk normally and wouldn't latch on. After 3-1/2 hrs, I gave him a bottle of colostrum replacer, and 6 hrs later another dose. That was 9pm last night. As of this morning, still no evidence that he has nursed, though his front feet are looking better and he's putting weight on them, stumbling, but walking a little. Momma cow is very patient and seems to appreciate my help. She stands nicely while I try to get him on the nipple, but he just sucks 3-4 times and then spits it out. This cow had mastitis last year with a calf, which we had to bottle-feed. No obvious signs of mastitis this time around, so far. Her udders are full and I can get a small squirt from her teats, though I don't really know how to milk a cow properly. I have a small milking machine bought a few weeks ago just in case. Momma is trying to encourage him to nurse, but he won't.
What should I do? I've tried holding him to her, but he refuses the nipple. It's been about 14 hours since the 2nd colostrum feeding. Should I milk her with the machine and bottle-feed him, or give them a few more hours to see if he finally figures it out? How can I get him to nurse? I don't want a bottle calf!

Don't give him anymore by bottle , if she stands for him keep trying him . Eventually he will get hungry enough to nurse her .
Sometimes a calf will eventually nurse. Sometimes not and the calf may starve to death. A sign of malnutrition/starvation is a white eye and seeing the newborn eating dirt. Sell the bottle calf if you do not want to feed it.

How long is it safe to wait?
It takes a few days to starve to death.

If the calf is taking the bottle but spitting out mamas milk, I'd be concerned about the quality; it's possible she has mastitis still/again. If it's almost clear & watery or thick & yellow, there's a problem. You might try milking out a little more. Will the calf suck your finger? If I have a calf that needs help getting latched on, I'll get it sucking on my finger first, then guide my finger to her teat and pop it in while supporting the calf's rear end (so it doesn't back up).

Well now I'm worried. I did one of those paper/blot tests for mastitis - one quarter wouldn't milk, two quarters gave a little but it was watery (borderline negative test), and the fourth quarter tested a clear positive for mastitis. That teat didn't squirt out of the end of the teat --- I found a small puncture (defect?) in the side of the teat about halfway up, and that's where the milk came. Damn damn damn. The one teat I got the calf to suck on 3-4 times and he spit out, was one of the good ones but watery.

Sorry, but looks like you have a bottle calf for now. I'd suggest talking to your vet, but Today mastitis treatment MAY help. In my world, the cow would be culled, even if she does recover, because it will be a recurring problem.
Consensus with our cattlemen friends agrees. I hate to part with her because I raised her from a weaned calf, she is soooo friendly and calm, and she is my favorite. But I cannot have this issue with her again. We aren't into cattle for profit, but we don't keep them as pets, either. Also, I hate hate hate raising bottle calves, just to send them off to slaughter later. Sigh. We already have the doses of Today on hand, just because of this possibility. Will get her milked out and treated today.

Consensus with our cattlemen friends agrees. I hate to part with her because I raised her from a weaned calf, she is soooo friendly and calm, and she is my favorite. But I cannot have this issue with her again. We aren't into cattle for profit, but we don't keep them as pets, either. Also, I hate hate hate raising bottle calves, just to send them off to slaughter later. Sigh. We already have the doses of Today on hand, just because of this possibility. Will get her milked out and treated today.
Good job on catching the problem!
And for getting that calf it's first meals. Ya done a bang up job. Always tuff to let one go that has emotional attachment. Believe me I know.

Is it possible to get the cow cleared and get the calf going after a bit?

Well now I'm worried. I did one of those paper/blot tests for mastitis - one quarter wouldn't milk, two quarters gave a little but it was watery (borderline negative test), and the fourth quarter tested a clear positive for mastitis. That teat didn't squirt out of the end of the teat --- I found a small puncture (defect?) in the side of the teat about halfway up, and that's where the milk came. Damn damn damn. The one teat I got the calf to suck on 3-4 times and he spit out, was one of the good ones but watery.
With this news I'd go back to the bottle ! I'd sell mom soon .

If it is watery then Today will be of little use. It sounds like a coliform mastitis, very slight chance it would be klebsiella but the cow usually gets real sick and down with kelbsiella. Coliform often causes the cow to get sick but sometimes not. The mastitis medicines that are intra mammary are best for things like a staph or strep infection. If she had that problem before, then it will most likely happen again.
Do not let the calf keep sucking the watery crap. You will make him sick if not kill him with all that junk in his gut.
Get him on good milk replacer or whole raw cows milk and if you don't want a bottle calf, then advertise him or get him sold or given away. She needs to go. There is no way it is going to get better if it is affecting the whole udder. Sorry for the emotional attachment, but it is part of life. I have bottle raised hundreds of calves over the years, now mostly have nurse cows... and I have cried over selling a few. But practicality HAS to be a factor unless you want a lawn ornament pet cow.

Where are you located? I've been itching for another bottle calf… yes call me crazy lol. Probably nowhere near me but worth a shot!
We are in western Missouri, so probably more than a few hours' drive ;) We're going to keep him, but as soon as momma's clear, she's going away. :'( We were not able to strip her milk at all, even with a canula. Her udders are hard but not hot, and she doesn't seem to be in any discomfort.
Still...
(Last year we lost a good cow to undetected mastitis - took her overnight. Saved the calf. Second cow was a bit psycho, so we couldn't get close to her. Too late, we found the mastitis in her, too. Calf died. Healed her up, then took her to auction. Third cow is the same one in question now - she had mastitis too, but we treated it and bottle fed the calf. We were warned this could happen again... and look where we are.)
Tried to milk her out, nothing. Tried the canula, still nothing. Did get a couple of clots. Administered the Today treatment anyway, couldn't hurt. Still have a full bottle of last year's oxytetracycline in the fridge (from the mastitis fiasco, vet dr. supplied), so we gave her 1st of three doses of that tonight. Bottle feeding started on the calf. Momma still calls to her baby and stays close, cleans and licks him - so we left the calf with her. He's not interested in nursing anyway, and I plan to keep his belly full.
Done all I can do.
We shall see.
Thank you, Everyone, for the kind encouragement and advice. I'll post updates.

We are in western Missouri, so probably more than a few hours' drive ;) We're going to keep him, but as soon as momma's clear, she's going away. :'( We were not able to strip her milk at all, even with a canula. Her udders are hard but not hot, and she doesn't seem to be in any discomfort.
Still...
(Last year we lost a good cow to undetected mastitis - took her overnight. Saved the calf. Second cow was a bit psycho, so we couldn't get close to her. Too late, we found the mastitis in her, too. Calf died. Healed her up, then took her to auction. Third cow is the same one in question now - she had mastitis too, but we treated it and bottle fed the calf. We were warned this could happen again... and look where we are.)
Tried to milk her out, nothing. Tried the canula, still nothing. Did get a couple of clots. Administered the Today treatment anyway, couldn't hurt. Still have a full bottle of last year's oxytetracycline in the fridge (from the mastitis fiasco, vet dr. supplied), so we gave her 1st of three doses of that tonight. Bottle feeding started on the calf. Momma still calls to her baby and stays close, cleans and licks him - so we left the calf with her. He's not interested in nursing anyway, and I plan to keep his belly full.
Done all I can do.
We shall see.
Watch the withdrawal times on your antibiotics. She may have to stick around longer than you want.

Still...
Done all I can do.
We shall see.
What sort of cows do you have? You seem to have a lot of mastitis in your cows.

Ken

Sounds like you have done all you can do and made the right decisions. Good luck on the calf ! My son lost a cow a couple of weeks ago with a month old bull calf . I went up to try to catch him and start the bottle feeding but he had taken up with another cow who raised a similar calf last year . So I left him to her . I'll keep an eye on him and her calf and make sure both are doing well .

Still...
Done all I can do.
We shall see.
So sorry it's turned out to be this way… not fun especially if she's your favorite cow. It's a difficult call to make. I commend you for jumping in here right away for help. This place is full of knowledge and experience! Best wishes with your calf and mama cow.

What sort of cows do you have? You seem to have a lot of mastitis in your cows.

Ken
The two that had mastitis the worst last year were both scrub cows - mixture of simmental, hereford, and lord knows what else. Both were babies found abandoned in a neighbor's field and bottle-fed. They were about 5 years old when we lost them. Blackie (current case) is a beefmaster/angus cross, we bought at auction when she was just weaned - she is 6-7 years old. We have two more first-time heifers, due to calve in September. One is Blackie's calf from 2 years ago, the other same age from one of the scrub cows. Their (heifers) sire was also a scrub bull from the neighbor. They, and Blackie, were bred (two years ago) with a herefordXangus (black baldy) from registered parents. Our current bull, Blackie's baby's sire, is just 2 years old, also a black baldy, different set of registered parents. He's spending his spring break at my son's place with last year's 2 bottle-baby steers.
We suspect our "pond," if you can call it that, is the source of the infection. It's really just a shallow run-off pool that gets very stagnant in the summer. The cows, especially Blackie, love to stand out in the middle of it to cool off. We need to treat it, and next week have plans to fence it off from the cows permanently. Eventually, it will be filled in. Our property is cross-fenced, so we have moved the 2 pregnant heifers and 2 more young balancer heifers to another section away from the pond/muck. Blackie and baby are in the corral.

Watch the withdrawal times on your antibiotics. She may have to stick around longer than you want.
I believe the withdrawal time is about 45 days. We had to do this last year with the one heifer we saved, but lost her calf. She went to auction for slaughter. Blackie, unfortunately, will have the same demise.