heifer with coccidiosis/ Is it getting better or worse?

Help Support CattleToday:

mgaston

Reaction score
I've got a heifer about 8 months old and she's lost her appetite and she poops out blood. I don't know whats wrong with her. One thought is that she ate a piece of metal like a nail or staple and got punctured somewhere inside. This is bad news for me. If you got any advice......fill me in.

mgaston":27aez9sf said:
I've got a heifer about 8 months old and she's lost her appetite and she poops out blood. I don't know whats wrong with her. One thought is that she ate a piece of metal like a nail or staple and got punctured somewhere inside. This is bad news for me. If you got any advice......fill me in.

Might be a real good thought...internal bleeding...take her to a vet before it's too late.

Alice

Either vet her or sell her. It depends on how much you have invested in her. If she is a $600 cow take her to the sale barn and put her in the kill pin.

mgaston":3ozew9u1 said:

I'd take her to the Vet, a stomach issue comes to my mind, perforated, we had a cow when we first started milking, that had a stomach perforation, caused bloody poop. She didn't make it.

I had one that pooped blood when I bottle fed one a couple years ago. I called the vet, he gave me a shot and she never gave me another problem. I don't exactly remember what it was though.

The same heifer that all you guys thought had coccidiosis. Well, I think she does. I researched the virus on the net. There
is no cure, but to give the calf some drugs to make it easier to overcome. I don't think my dad gave her any drugs yet, but her
poops are blooding anymore..the color changed from the blood red color to a cool blue color. Looks like the oil you put in a car. She did eat some alfalfa, but not much. She seemed like she liked my accompany when I was out with her cus as soon as I left she followed me down the fence line and I don't know if she went back to eat cus it was dark out. So is the heifer getting worse or better???

mgaston":3qpcwmsd said:
The same heifer that all you guys thought had coccidiosis. Well, I think she does. I researched the virus on the net. There
is no cure, but to give the calf some drugs to make it easier to overcome. I don't think my dad gave her any drugs yet, but her
poops are blooding anymore..the color changed from the blood red color to a cool blue color. Looks like the oil you put in a car. She did eat some alfalfa, but not much. She seemed like she liked my accompany when I was out with her cus as soon as I left she followed me down the fence line and I don't know if she went back to eat cus it was dark out. So is the heifer getting worse or better???

What virus are you referring to? Coccidiosis is a parasitic disease, not a virus. There are effective treatments.

dun

If it is coccidiosis, treating with Corid is really simple and very effective - just put it in her water (and all of the other cows too)

they die quickly if you do nothing and since it is a parasite the other cows are running the risk of being infected each and every time they go near where she was infected.

I think all cattle/farms have coccidia present. It becomes a matter of how much concentration, and how much stress will make it a health issue. Easily treated with Corid in the water, easily prevented with Lasalocid (Rumensin or Bovitec) in the mineral, fed year round.

Hey. Thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate it. We haven't done anything with the heifer yet. She seems as if she's getting better. She was eating hay as if she was normal.
I'll keep your advice in mind though. Thanks!

You can take a stool specimen to the vet and within minutes tell you if it's coccidiosis, worms, etc.

dun

mgaston":13q9fp82 said:
Hey. Thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate it. We haven't done anything with the heifer yet. She seems as if she's getting better. She was eating hay as if she was normal.
sounds more like you want folks just too tell you it well be aright . the key too being a good herdsman is staying on top of situations.

mgaston":11xoz766 said:

I can't believe you just wrote this? :shock:

You have done nothing this entire time? I've had a few I thought was getting better, also...and I was doing something...and they tanked. Good luck to you and your animals...

Alice

Alice":13687i9r said:
mgaston":13687i9r said:

I can't believe you just wrote this? :shock:

You have done nothing this entire time? I've had a few I thought was getting better, also...and I was doing something...and they tanked. Good luck to you and your animals...

Alice

I had a calf die a month ago I really thought was getting better and I was doing everything I could possibly think of.

How many times have we read that on here. The animal acts like it is getting better then goes belly up.

Latest posts