heifer with coccidiosis/ Is it getting better or worse?

Help Support CattleToday:

mgaston":1ltk1bic said:
Hey. Thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate it. We haven't done anything with the heifer yet. She seems as if she's getting better. She was eating hay as if she was normal.
I'll keep your advice in mind though. Thanks!
:mad: What in the world is the matter with you? Why did you waste everyone's time in trying to help you ? I know I don't want you taking care of my animals.
Do you not understand if it is coccidiosis your other animals will be affected ? I guess next week it will be boo hoo because it died........

Jees, people. Calm down. I don't do things the way you do. If it had showed signs of getting worse I would have done something about it. My family lets the animal try to get better first and I know sometimes it doesn't pay off, but sometimes it does. Anyway, the heifer is doing better. She's eating more, drinking, chewing cud, and her poops aren't bloody or blue colored anymore. She's just got really watery diahrea. If she does end up dying, we'll know better next time, but I don't think that will happen. Some of you people are nice and then others treat people like crap. I'm new and I've got my own ways of doing things. I do appreciate all of you people who have given me advice.

mgaston":1td5gsxm said:
Jees, people. Calm down. I don't do things the way you do. If it had showed signs of getting worse I would have done something about it. My family lets the animal try to get better first and I know sometimes it doesn't pay off, but sometimes it does. Anyway, the heifer is doing better. She's eating more, drinking, chewing cud, and her poops aren't bloody or blue colored anymore. She's just got really watery diahrea. If she does end up dying, we'll know better next time, but I don't think that will happen. Some of you people are nice and then others treat people like crap. I'm new and I've got my own ways of doing things. I do appreciate all of you people who have given me advice.
i try too treat people equal. you may not do things the way we do.. but if you stay in this business long you will. not by choice by nessesity it all pans out the same. no matter your goals cant neglect problems or they will bite your ass. by the way good to hear she;s doing better :p

Watery diarheaa is one of my least favorite problems to deal with -- no matter what the initial cause is. It means the animal's rumen is NOT working, means the animal is NOT absorbing what it is eating, causes the animal's pH to become acidic (acidosis), causes dehydration, results in a weakened animal, weight loss, and weakened immune system, eventually results in the rumen entirely shutting down, and will kill the animal if it continues long enough. Sometimes it takes several weeks before they become downers or die, but it will happen.

For your information, for an animal to go from "bloody manure" to "watery diarheaa", that IS getting worse.

There's a million things that can make a cow have such watery diarheaa, but it is vital that it be stopped as soon as possible.

"Benign neglect" works for some livestock problems, but if you truly believe in treating diarheaa this way, you need your head examined. Of course, I can give you the benefit of the doubt -- you sound about 14 so perhaps it's only your family's viewpoint and not yours.

Ok forget it...I won't ever ask you people for help even though I need it now, but some of you are so rude, and I don't want to deal with it. :( Thanks a lot alright. Sorry for bothering all of you. Bye.

mgaston":d7lt7jp0 said:
Ok forget it...I won't ever ask you people for help even though I need it now, but some of you are so rude, and I don't want to deal with it. :( Thanks a lot alright. Sorry for bothering all of you. Bye.
How can you say the people on this board are rude? :shock: We all realize that you are young, but sit back & think about this whole thread. You asked for help, people were VERY concerned for you & your animal, took their time to post remedies - than you post you didn't do anything!! :shock: :shock: and say she ONLY has watery diarhea.
Now you say you need help again, go for it, ask what you need to know. IF YOU REALLY want some advice, people will answer. But, you can't keep crying wolf and not do anything.

Yeah, ok but you see I don't need dire help anymore. Its too late. Just to let you know when bloody diarhea turns into watery diarhea, it is getting better. Thats a good sign for the problem I was dealing with. I've done everything we can now for my herd. There are no new cases, but we are putting corid in our water tanks. 1 out of the 4 cows/calves that got it actually got too serious for anyone to do anything. Well, the coccidiosis got to her brain....very bad thing. Well, you guys helped me with this a lot and if anything else bad happens or if I have any questions I'll ask you. I now realize that most of you are older than me by at least 10 years. Just guessing, I could really learn something from all you experienced people.
Thank you! I might be back someday.

Latest posts