Heifer price

Help Support CattleToday:

At our county sale commercial bred heifers averaged about $1,900 and they were a little further along than yours .

I just paid 1500 a piece for three very nice, bred, Semmi/Angus heifers. They are bred to a real nice Angus bull and will all calve around end Sept to first of October. They were preg checked prior to me picking them up.

Just saw 20 head of registered Angus heifers for sale for $ 1400. Ready to bred this spring.

The prices suggested wouldn't touch one around here, at all, for a good type second stage black angus heifer, much less registered.

What part of the country you in?

Actually Tom is close for commercial, but registered, forget it.

talltimber":2azwe7un said:
The prices suggested wouldn't touch one around here, at all, for a good type second stage black angus heifer, much less registered.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

poorfarmer":27yegnhw said:
talltimber":27yegnhw said:

Papers don't mean anything to commercial cattlemen. It's the quality of the animal not the piece of paper. Lots of commercial heifers out sold the registered heifers last week in Perry, and if will happen again at the end of the month at the Tifton - UGA heifer sale.

True Grit Farms":2hi525g8 said:
poorfarmer":2hi525g8 said:
talltimber":2hi525g8 said:
Papers don't mean anything to commercial cattlemen. It's the quality of the animal not the piece of paper. Lots of commercial heifers out sold the registered heifers last week in Perry, and if will happen again at the end of the month at the Tifton - UGA heifer sale.

Yup, seen that happen a lot lately. :tiphat:

rollinhills":2z0p04rv said:
I have a registered angus heifer, she's a nice young girl not great but nice. My neighbor runs a commercial herd and he's wanting to buy her, she's 4mo's bred, AI'd to Southside then exposed to my registered bull. My question is what would be a fair price to ask for her?
$1950
He obviously wants her, I would ask what he's thinking.
Had a guy coming to look at an old piece of tillage equipment we wanted to sell.
Asked my brother what we had in it, he said it's gotta be worth at least $800
I said Okay, I'll ask 1200 and take $950
Guy came and looked it over, I asked what he'd give....he said $2,000
I said Okay, I'll help you load it and then let's get lunch, I'm buying.
(Everyone happy)

your talking about a reg angus bred heifer.now i dont know what reg angus heifers are worth.but i know what i get for weaned reg beefmaster heifers.had a man call me last week wanting 3 reg beefmaster heifers.i told him that my cows having bulls this year that i had 2 left to calve.he said ill wait to see if they are heifers.so on your heifer id say $2000.

True Grit Farms":3s5m11xb said:
poorfarmer":3s5m11xb said:
talltimber":3s5m11xb said:

What?? I agree that the eye test is important, but papers to back up what you are seeing has some value.

Down here those registered cows can only use those papers to swat the flies and mosquitos. A brimmer type or Brangus type, Gert cross, Beefmaster cross, or F1 Tiger will run circles around any papered straight bred cow down here. Whether it be Angus in ponds or pink eye in Herefords or Limos and Simmentals not shedding off and sweating like a Kardashian in a church. When that registered girl is about to give out at her 9th or 10th calve that Brahman crossed cow is just warming up and going to give you at least 8 or 9 more calves. And papers can't buy that.

poorfarmer":yhaqhhmt said:
True Grit Farms":yhaqhhmt said:
poorfarmer":yhaqhhmt said:

What?? I agree that the eye test is important, but papers to back up what you are seeing has some value.

True Grit hes right the papers add value... The value added is they are a bonus and are great for starting fires in the fireplace.

quote]

Papers don't mean anything to commercial cattlemen. It's the quality of the animal not the piece of paper. Lots of commercial heifers out sold the registered heifers last week in Perry, and if will happen again at the end of the month at the Tifton - UGA heifer sale.[/quote]

I will tell you that no, the papers don't mean squat to me. But I will also say that knowing how they're bred means a LOT to me. And before I take them home, I've got to outbid the guys who the papers DO mean something to.

Price her at $2750, emphasis heavy that she is registered and see how bad he wants her. If he don't want the papers cut it to $2500

talltimber":brn4oqsb said:
quote]

Papers don't mean anything to commercial cattlemen. It's the quality of the animal not the piece of paper. Lots of commercial heifers out sold the registered heifers last week in Perry, and if will happen again at the end of the month at the Tifton - UGA heifer sale.[/quote]

I will tell you that no, the papers don't mean squat to me. But I will also say that knowing how they're bred means a LOT to me. And before I take them home, I've got to outbid the guys who the papers DO mean something to.
True I will give you a roll of toilet paper with every one of my heifers.
Paper doesn't mash scales and means nothing to the commercial cow an as stated.

Caustic Burno":3dqplwyn said:
talltimber":3dqplwyn said:
quote]

Paper doesn't mash scales and means nothing to the commercial cowman as stated.

Caustic Burno":14515vsu said:
Caustic Burno":14515vsu said:
talltimber":14515vsu said:
quote]

Paper doesn't mash scales and means nothing to to me as stated.

FIFY. I might should have not capitalized LOT, but I do have an interest in that info. But I guess I don't qualify as commercial cowman, since mine are not registered and all. I have a neighbor that couldn't care less about knowing how his cows are bred, but he gets most of his at the sale barn. Not a lot of info there normally, and wouldn't matter if there was. But he also don't cut, doubt he vaccinates/worms, doesn't care if he has two calves that matches out of 75. But, he's still in business, so he's doing something right. There are a number of commercial guys here buying purebred cows and putting registered bulls on them so they know what they have. Those seem to be the ones that looks like they have a cookie cutter calf maker, and that's what I am trying to do. Even five head that match will get a few more cents a pound here it seems.

TB, your are in the ballpark (and up from there) for bred heifers, unregistered, through the show me select sale here. Registered will be a little to quite a bit higher. Usually there will be some background on the commercial heifers, particularly their sire.

With a little homework a guy can determine which way they lean with their breeding by talking to the owner of the farm they came from. Carcass, maternal lines, milk, etc. That is was interests me, not the papers themselves. I like all the info I can get, to supplement what I'm seeing. Papers, or breeding info, doesn't trump what I see. But what you see can be misleading as well. Another neighbor has been at it a long time, he cuts the lower and upper heifers, if he doesn't keep them all. Said he's been burned too many times by the prettiest/biggest.

Latest posts