Heifer Retention ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
The small local hobby guys like to cherry pick a couple heifers each year. They don't worry about feed prices unless as long as they or a neighbor has enough. The thing that has changed here is a number of these small operators are aged and using this market rally to do a total dispersal.

The bigger local operators still remember 2016 and are cautious.

The western plains is still in a drought...

When do you think there will be a significant heifer retention?

I find you cherry pick comment interesting. Curious why you think that would mean they are hobby people?

What is the alternative? How would a "for profit" operation do it?
For profit operations usually use one of these restocking approaches:
- Never retain heifers, just buy mature cows and terminal bulls.
- Retain about the same $ worth of heifers per year, so more retention when calves are cheap.
- Only retain heifers during the bottom portion of the price cycle, so culling the cow herd size down a bit during the high price and declining price periods. Extra credit if you switch to terminal bulls during the rising price part of the cycle.

Last edited:
For profit operations usually use one of these restocking approaches:
- Never retain heifers, just buy mature cows and terminal bulls.
- Retain about the same $ worth of heifers per year, so more retention when calves are cheap.
- Only retain heifers during the bottom portion of the price cycle, so culling the cow herd size down a bit during the high price and declining price periods. Extra credit if you switch to terminal bulls during the rising price part of the cycle.

Although those are all good options... the basis for your theory is nonsense.

We both "work a job in town" so to speak and yet we are running 125+ brood cows so how does that figure into whether we are a hobby farm or a for profit operation?
We did not retain many heifers this spring with the high prices, but will retain more out of the 2022 fall calved cows that will be getting brought in and calves weaned off of... IF they are good enough to be retained "normally"..... We have culled a little more heavily this spring with the prices.... and because we have lost 2 places that have been sold.....
And we do strive to be a "for profit commercial operation".... they need to pay the bills....

I am of the same school of thought. We know we have X amount of cows that have to come out every year. That is a given.

There is a constant production line producing those replacements that is in motion long before any one knows what market price will be at a given time.

Our production line works in the bottom side or the top side of the market so why would I not lock that in with retained heifers? I darn sure don't want to ride the wave like Stocker Steve is describing. That sounds horrible.

I have never seen a financial down side to retained heifers. It has minimized daily operational costs, increased production, and even the culls have made money being sold to others or at a heavier weight.

Steve, I'm a small timer who retains a few here and there. I'd like to say I'm not offended. I also wouldn't use a terminal bull, but if I was someone else I don't know that I'd take my advice either.

Latest posts