Bred Heifer Pricing ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
During the soft bred market here this winter - - young bred cows sold for more than bred heifers.
Last report out of Aberdeen SD had top bred heifers selling for 16% more than top young cows.
What do you see? Are bred heifer premiums vs. bred cows due to more optimism or something else?

Your neck of the woods, I guess not wanting to feed a young unproven heifer through the winter. Here, a bred heifer is still going to be discounted for possible trainwreck coming. Exception being animals in special sales....where opens (livestock show projects), heavy breds (short breds bring less), and young bred cows all bring about the same. Quality is the name of the game then.

A few good bred heifers went through the ring at West today. You could buy the better ones for $850.

Almost all short bred cows selling at packer prices or just over. Some deals here if you don't mind calving in the heat. I

MO-Ruminants said:
Is this an indicator to sell young bred cows, buy back open heifers and put a bull with them?

I think it is an indicator to haul young breds to SD. There is always a "bull market" somewhere.

Nearly 450 May calving ranch heifers sold on TEAM Auction today. They sold in groups of 32 and 25 for between $1725 and $1775 to 3 different buyers. One lot of 20 were passed at $1750.

The better end heifers have been about $1,100 here. Where as 3 and 4 year old cows have been bringing around $1,400. The kill cow market has pushed the broken and smooth mouth cows up over $800. Even into the $900's.

Sold a 3 year old cow on the rail couple weeks ago for $810. Not sure where $1700 heifers pencil out on that, but apparently it does somewhere.

Registered here $1,800-2500
$600-2,000
That is what my old man said it was on craigslist here. 🤣😂 sale barn always less.

Aaron said:
Sold a 3 year old cow on the rail couple weeks ago for $810. Not sure where $1700 heifers pencil out on that, but apparently it does somewhere.

Not penciling out here either. I think you need free hay. :cboy:

Word here is there is a large swath of upper plains that had as high as 35% open due to an extremely wet 2019. I think some of da boys waited till now due to hay shortages, and then used their Trump checks to buy breds.

Stocker Steve said:
Word here is there is a large swath of upper plains that had as high as 35% open due to an extremely wet 2019. I think some of da boys waited till now due to hay shortages, and then used their Trump checks to buy breds.

Lots of 25-30% open herds this year as well. Producers blaming it on weather, but vets know the real truth. Likely BVD rearing its head in the herds that don't spend a dime on vaccines. Deer population is loaded with BVD and is constant vector for transmission here if guys don't vaccinate.

Aaron Likely BVD rearing its head in the herds that don't spend a dime on vaccines. Deer population is loaded with BVD and is constant vector for transmission here if guys don't vaccinate. [/quote said:
Some of the vaccines call for a booster every 6 months. Do you know anyone doing that?

Stocker Steve said:
Aaron said:
Likely BVD rearing its head in the herds that don't spend a dime on vaccines. Deer population is loaded with BVD and is constant vector for transmission here if guys don't vaccinate.

Some of the vaccines call for a booster every 6 months. Do you know anyone doing that?

No. Majority use Bovashield FP5 VL5. Slim few used killed like Triangle 10. Probably 1/3 don't vaccinate at all.

February beef article calculated cost of developing a 2019 bred heifer at 1,336 bucks. I am sure you could do a little better in a BLM area or a low cost hay area. Question is what is the value of a bred heifer?

I think the guys spending 1,800 for a bred now are in the same boat as the guys who paid 2,500 in 2014 - - and later culled them for less than 1,000.

Stocker Steve said:
February beef article calculated cost of developing a 2019 bred heifer at 1,336 bucks. I am sure you could do a little better in a BLM area or a low cost hay area. Question is what is the value of a bred heifer?

I think the guys spending 1,800 for a bred now are in the same boat as the guys who paid 2,500 in 2014 - - and later culled them for less than 1,000.

Based on current heifer feeder values, I wouldn't be spending anymore than $1400 on breds ($1055 US). Too much volatility and uncertainty for me in 2020. I would much rather be investing in things other than those with 4 legs this year.

Main farm credit lender in this country is starting to get very worried about producers debt here - sending out notices about timelines on holding back on interest rate hikes and sending lots of literature out about farmers mental health.

In other news, horsey people are coming from 160 miles away to buy round hay (in bulk) for their pets at $150 US/ton in the yard. Not making cow economics look real good.

On the bright side, I can watch the shytshow going on in BC and Southern Ontario right now with the Indians and figure life is pretty good as a poor schmuck in the middle.

Stocker Steve said:

We have heifers contracted to a feedlot for an early August delivery. The price works out to about $1,200 a head. Putting the extra cost of breeding and holding for an additional 3, 4, or 5 months just doesn't seem a smart bet to me.

Dave We have heifers contracted to a feedlot for an early August delivery. The price works out to about $1 said:
Feeder prices here are up about U$S 20 in 2 months. My cull heifers are consigned for Wednesday. I have been moving one or two daily from the replacement/back to grass pen to the cull pen. Tough after paying for better bulls.

Replacements have not been profitable locally for several years, but they pay much better west of here. I may need to buy a bigger trailer.