Heifer Retention ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Cull the duds in the best way that makes a profit: sell at weaning if the price is up or retain and put on pounds. Expose all retained heifer. Sell breds that you do not prefer , if there is a drought or if there is a demand. Otherwise calve out and keep the ones that work. Heifers are the way to deal with drought. If it comes, sell the less preferred heifers or cows that need to go. If it doesn't come, there are plenty of calves. If prices zoom up, sort the heifers harder. Money is made on turnover and not on retention unless the retained animals have a solid package to offer genetically. And tax issues also can speed or delay sales. More than a one answer question.

For those who would never use a terminal bull - I agree if you run all your cows together and retain replacements. But for a person that has multiple herds, what would be the problem with separating by type? A herd of balanced cows with good maternal traits (longevity, good udders, milk, good mothers, good growth, good disposition, etc) and use a balanced bull with similar qualities. Good growth and good maternal. Retain replacements from that group.

Other group of cows that have good growth but might not be quite as good as the first herd as far as maternal traits. (Or maybe they are identical to the first herd because all the replacements developed well and made top cows.) But use a very high growth bull on that second group without regard for milk, udder quality, disposition, longevity, and other maternal traits. Higher growth than that maternal bull. Maximize pounds (or maybe carcass traits depending on when and how they will be marketed). Sell every calf from that group. Who cares if they can't calve, won't milk, crippled at 2 years, won't let you tag their calf, will abandon their calf, etc. Because they will be slaughtered and sold by the pound.

Another way to ask the question - if one herd will produce sufficient quantity of replacements, why sacrifice any pounds on the calves in that second herd that will not be used for replacements? If the answer is that there is not a bull to be found with higher growth than your balanced maternal bull, then congratulations on that success. But are you sure?

And yet, I believe the term "terminal bull" is also subjective. Let's not forget the cows and environment in which these calves are raised. Woody is supposed to be a terminal bull. But I've kept quite a few of his heifers. Why? Because their dams are some of my best in docility, milking, breeding back in a timely manner, good udders/feet, etc. And I won't keep crazy or even an attitude.

And yet, I believe the term "terminal bull" is also subjective. Let's not forget the cows and environment in which these calves are raised. Woody is supposed to be a terminal bull. But I've kept quite a few of his heifers. Why? Because their dams are some of my best in docility, milking, breeding back in a timely manner, good udders/feet, etc. And I won't keep crazy or even an attitude.
Oh come on, a little snot blown in your pocket when your trying to tag a new calf keeps you young 🤪

The heard I used to manage ran almost 200 cows on 8 small pastures. We always had 10 bulls around. We finished all our own calves so I took advantage of terminal bulls. Had one or two very maternal that the best cows went with to make replacements. The rest went with high growth, carcass type bulls.

I plan to cull the bottom 10% of our heifers and expose the rest for 2 cycles. Beef the initial culls and those that don't get bred in the 45 days window.

Calve them. Then cull again what doesn't breed back in 2 cycles. Treat them the same as cows the whole time. Probably cull 25-50% of them by 3 year old?

10% for me is only 2 animals. ☺

Once the grass is growing good everywhere I expect replacement prices to explode.

Last edited:
Talking to the local guys in their 50s and up, none are looking to expand beyond their pre-drought cow numbers. Equipment, land and labor is too expensive to hang a fresh new rope of 1M debt around your neck at age 55 and 8% interest.

Most are looking to hit the cows hard this fall (15-20% cull rates) and be steady in heifer retention. Which means the long term movement is still contraction in the cowherd.

I would like to expand but pasture around here is limited, $7 corn ended the cattle here for the most part. There's pockets here and there of pasture but they're getting fewer. People are planting ground that should be left to sod.

Aaron, glad to see you.

Talking to the local guys in their 50s and up, none are looking to expand beyond their pre-drought cow numbers. Equipment, land and labor is too expensive to hang a fresh new rope of 1M debt around your neck at age 55 and 8% interest.
You got that right. Granted, we would like to get our numbers up again slightly over 100 head. In regards to debt, why would we want to take on new debt over age 55. Sure there will be the odd one we can't get around, like replacing a tractor if an existing one blows up, but buying 'new' equipment to expand........ no thanks, not with equipment costing more then a firstborn, second born, all your cows and the clothes off of your back.

As to what is considered a hobby operation?! If the cow cheque doesn't cover all the expenses, pay your bills and let you live with a full belly.......... it becomes a hobby, because one of you, or both, have to get a job in town.
We have about 90 head.......... hobby operation, because the bank wants to get paid and we like to eat, we had to add a full time job in town 15 years ago.

As to retaining heifers. I don't think there is a straight answer to that, there are so many angles one could look at it, financial, herd management, personal preference. In the end we all try to end the year with at least a little bit profit. PROFIT LOL who here is making profit off of cows which isn't taken immediately by the bank for expenses or debt.

Anyway, there is no right or wrong (within reason). Whatever works for you.

Latest posts