heifer preg-new record

Help Support CattleToday:

Sorry about your your open heifers... We started testing bulls for customers as they buy them, afraid your situation would happen to a customer.. not good! Dun is right though, no test I know of for libido, except preg testing..;(

If your in a place with a bull stud nearby they can "jump" the bull instead of electroejaculate which will give some indication to libido but even this is not fail proof.

A few years ago I had a group of cows and heifers in with a 2 year old bull. I started noticing cows coming into heat a second time. I went to keeping a closer eye on them. About a week later I walked into the pasture. Two cows were riding each other and the bull laying in the corner chewing his cud totally ignoring them. I loaded up the cows and took them to another pasture where there was another bull. I loaded up the bull and took him to town. The next spring all of those cows and heifers started calving on a date that matched the timing of the move. The 2 year old had passed a BSE but he had zero libido. I have had lots of steers with more libido than he had.

Jake":25xfhg3z said:
If your in a place with a bull stud nearby they can "jump" the bull instead of electroejaculate which will give some indication to libido but even this is not fail proof.

Jake, we have a bull stud nearby, Genex. They will NOT jump your bull on live animals until your bull goes through WEEKS of quarantine and blood tests because the bulls on stud there can not be exposed to possible diseases because of shipping requirements on the semen.
We took our bull in on Monday to collect, and they can only electro ejaculate him because he can not be near their bulls. It gives a smaller sample, but for what we needed it worked for us. He will be a year old at the end of the month, and we collected 156 straws on him. Not bad!

My bulls got tested on-farm, on top of one of my heifers... I thought that would have been standard for a BSE. The technician promised me he wasn't going to let them get her pregnant during the test.

Well, the vet said he has a "banana penis" (medical term?) I asked if this should have been caught on original test and she said "maybe"
I called bull breeder and informed him of it, I think they were more upset than I was. They covered the cost of the test, reimbursed me the cost of the bull, and offered me 1000 credit on a future sale. I said that sounded fine and what should I do with this bull, they told me to do whatever I want, he's mine. Also offered use of a bull to breed my heifers but I declined as that would put them 3 1/2 months behind the
cows.
Heifers will go to a sale, they'll weigh about 875-900.
I cut the bull :D he'll go on some feed and into my freezer this winter.

how did you test the heifers , palpate , or blood test, if you sent in blood, re -test the heifers with a new blood sample , make sure you wait atleast 30 days post breeding(after you take the bull out), if you used a vet and palpated , have a different vet come and check behind the first vet. it is odd that the bull didnt get a single cow bred if he had just passed a BSE , but it can happen .do an indepth investigation before you cull the bull or sell the heifers

Good to hear your dealing with good people. Good thing is if you sell those 26 900lb heifers you could go buy 20 or more good bred cows and not be behind. I know this is a very unusual situation but it ls things like this that are why I only keep a few of my very best heifers now, then sell the rest and buy cows.

polledbull":3lwttxzv said:
.do an indepth investigation before you cull the bull or sell the heifers
Too late--he said he already cut the bull..Unless he meant he cut him out of his herd.

3waycross":2k3k4vry said:
greybeard":2k3k4vry said:
bigbull338":2k3k4vry said:
sounds like your bull is shooting blanks
Or not shootin at all.

Isn't that the point of the BSE. That they have to extend and ejaculate?
Yes, but just because it all "works" in a test, doesn't mean it does or will during actual breeding. The electro test all but "forces" ejaculation, but that doesn't guarantee ejaculation will happen or even complete erection will maintain itself during real world service.

Ever had a car or truck that behaved badly on the road, but they couldn't duplicate it in the shop?

Yes, but just because it all "works" in a test, doesn't mean it does or will during actual breeding. The electro test all but "forces" ejaculation, but that doesn't guarantee ejaculation will happen or even complete erection will maintain itself during real world service.

Ever had a car or truck that behaved badly on the road, but they couldn't duplicate it in the shop?[/quote]

Actually about 99.9% of the time it actually does mean that it works. This one is apparently an anomoly. However the so called "banana penis probably should have become apparent if he was caused to extend and ejaculate. I guess my question would be to the Vet who performed the original test why he couldn't see this condition. As much as anything so that maybe more of those wouldn't get by him!

Latest posts