heifer preg-new record

Help Support CattleToday:

I would classify that as a record I wouldn;t want to achieve.

Planned to sell 15-20 older cows this winter, guess I'll keep them another year and sell the heifers.
What worries me most right now is the "why?"
The bull was semen tested before sale day, but I will have him checked again as a starting point.

You're supposed to keep the bull in longer then 3 days. :lol:
Tough luck, think I would be calling the guy I bought the bull from.

I can see plenty of room for failure without pinning it all on the bull. I need more info before I feel to sorry for you. ;-)

I have had two bulls this year pass a BSE, and never bred a cow. Did you notice the heifers recycling?

The only problem with a BSE is that it doesn;t test their libido.

something def. went very wrong. we had a bull this year 2 year old, that passed the bse with flying colors. We turned him out with a group of cows (21), I kept track of the cows he was breeding, all seemed well, then 3 weeks later they started repeating. After the 4th cow in a row, We pulled the bull and moved them up by the buildings and I AI'd them. 18 settled on 1st ai service. We re-tested bull, and crazy thing was he was still ok, but "something" wasn't working when he was actually breeding. Vet was really puzzled, said he must be a "AI bull" :) . I know others have had a crazy breeding season too this year, even with the fairly cool weather.?

That's why I asked how long had the bull been with the heifers. Cowgirl has it figured out, all you have to do is pay attention and he or she will tell you if their bred.

skeeter swatter":6pqnfs5z said:
26 hef with yearling bull, 26 preg open!
Under investigation.

How long ago did you pull the bull? Any chance they got bred less than about 7 weeks ago?

Chris H":v6fba52y said:
skeeter swatter":v6fba52y said:
Under investigation.

How long ago did you pull the bull? Any chance they got bred less than about 7 weeks ago?
I am assuming that since he and I are in central MN, most of us folks focus on spring calving season and usually let bulls bred the cows in late May to early June.

Taurus":fc391090 said:
Chris H":fc391090 said:
skeeter swatter":fc391090 said:
Under investigation.

I am assuming that since he and I are in central MN, most of us folks focus on spring calving season and usually let bulls bred the cows in late May to early June.

Well, you know what they say when you 'assume' something, that's why I asked.

One illness that spikes a temp might not be real noticeable if he's not around every day & the bull recovers, but it can quickly make the bull infertile and it will take 60-63 days to have live sperm again. His bull was tested before he got him, he could have gotten sick between the time he was tested and the time he took delivery. If the bull was pulled 2 months ago, he could test fertile again and skeeter might lay all the blame on the heifers.

Put bull in June 20, pulled Aug 21.
Heifers born April-May 2012, bull early March 2012.
Leased pasture from a retired dairy farmer. He is 73 and just likes something to do, so I just drop them off early May and he does the rest unless he sees a problem. I've only seen them 4 times all summer.
Last year had 2 open of 27, year before 1 open of 32.
Even if there is a problem with hef, I can't believe they would ALL be open.
Taking bull to vet Tuesday.

skeeter swatter":2r8z2rp6 said:
Put bull in June 20, pulled Aug 21.
Heifers born April-May 2012, bull early March 2012.
Leased pasture from a retired dairy farmer. He is 73 and just likes something to do, so I just drop them off early May and he does the rest unless he sees a problem. I've only seen them 4 times all summer.
Last year had 2 open of 27, year before 1 open of 32.
Even if there is a problem with hef, I can't believe they would ALL be open.
Taking bull to vet Tuesday.

Well, he's been out long enough that the preg testing would be valid. I agree with you about not blaming the heifers on this. However, there's always a chance the bull will test OK now. A high fever could have rendered him infertile for 60 days, right during your breeding season.

It's a shame to lose a nice set of heifers due to 1 bull. Is there any market for fall calving cattle in your area? Or will they make a better return putting them on the feedlot right now?

Latest posts