Heifer off to herself UPDATED she gave birth

Help Support CattleToday:

You still need to have the vet out tomorrow to check her out. He can palpate her and also check for proper rumination, or ping for a displaced abomasum(although unlikely). To me it sounds like antibiotics are possibly a waste of time. You have two choices here, either get the vet out, or ship her before you give any antibiotics, and the withdrawal time that goes with them. I would definetly have the vet out.
Good Luck!

The vet came out and thinks it is a twisted gut or she ate plastic bag from neighboring construction sight. We arent doing anything but waiting and watching at this point I guess.... She isnt pooping at all...

If it really is a twisted gut the only cure would be surgery. I would suggest shooting her instead of culling her if you want her to not suffer. If you are still hoping that she may improve then make sure she has lots of water and give her some regular blue salt. Cows love it and it entices them to drink more, fluids will help pass the object if that is the problem. Only you are with her and can see her eyes. If she looks like she has given up or is in a lot of pain I would just put her out of her misery if I were you.

She made it and seemed to be doing ok.. Until last night when she gave birth to a stillborn heifer calf. It looked to be a couple weeks early but it was easy 60 lbs or so. Anyway she stayed out at the spot she calved all night and all day and kept trying to steal another heifers calf. We went to the local dairy and bought a $30 bull calf and am currently trying to get her to accept him. He is 5 days old. I have rubbed a rag all over the dead calf and then all over him and have put some of her milk on him too. He will nurse on her when I put her in the squeeze chute but otherwise isnt to aggressive at trying and she isnt mean to him but doent show much intreat either. Any suggestions??

Well by the time I had gotten off work the varmets have already taken care of the calf, so skinning isnt an option. Im not sure I could have done it anyway.. :oops: But I have worked with them all day and as of 6pm when I left for work she was letting him nurse a little without kicking and moving as long as she has food in front of her. (without being it the chute) They are still in the small pen together. Been about 28 hrs now they have been together but she just started letting him touch her an hour or so ago.

We had a heifer last year that would not take her calf so we put her in a small pen and 3 times a day we would put her in the head catcher and let the calf nurse. We did this for about 3 days and then we would just feed her some grain and while she was eating the calf would nurse. As the calf grew stronger she would worry the heifer to death till the heifer finally would let her nurse. We left them in the pen together for about 3 weeks and then let them out with the others and they did fine. Alot of time involved but it was worth it. I love to save those calfs!
Kate

We had a heifer lose her calf last year and she was not real happy to have a new calf but eventually she gave in. We used hobbles on her and that way she could not kick the calf. As the calf grew stronger the calf would pester her enought she would give in. Or, if you were around watching her she would let the calf nurse. After a bit we took off the hobbles and they got along great. We have also had situations with Charolais where a cow absolutely would never accept the calf.