Cow cleaning off / triplets

Help Support CattleToday:

coachg

Reaction score
Had to be in town for an early appointment so I ran by my vet's office to ask him about our cow . He said typically he doesn't let them go over 4 days . He said about then the cervix closes off or constricts to the point it retains the tissue. He recommended gloving her and putting gentle pressure on the tissue to see if it would release . Before I did that I decided to pull on the tissue that was showing. It didn't take much and it came out . Not sure if she retained any but I got a lot. Vet gave me an oxytocin shot and he recommended a shot of LA 300 . I appreciate all the comments and encouragement on the calves . Upper 20's last night but we decided to leave them with momma in the lot . Went at bed time and gave a bottle and then got them to nurse momma this morning . So far so good .

Had to be in town for an early appointment so I ran by my vet's office to ask him about our cow . He said typically he doesn't let them go over 4 days . He said about then the cervix closes off or constricts to the point it retains the tissue. He recommended gloving her and putting gentle pressure on the tissue to see if it would release . Before I did that I decided to pull on the tissue that was showing. It didn't take much and it came out . Not sure if she retained any but I got a lot. Vet gave me an oxytocin shot and he recommended a shot of LA 300 . I appreciate all the comments and encouragement on the calves . Upper 20's last night but we decided to leave them with momma in the lot . Went at bed time and gave a bottle and then got them to nurse momma this morning . So far so good .
Yeah, gentle pressure is often all you need. Good to hear...

It used to be that every vet would put uterine bonuses in every cow they pulled. And if a cow retained placenta, they came out and unbuttoned it and gave uterine bonuses.
Modern research says NOT to give any antibiotic unless the cow is SICK.
The cows "bugs" eat up all the pieces left in the cow naturally.
If she is treated, the good bugs get killed with the bad, so the residue sits in her uterus and rots causing her to get sick.

It used to be that every vet would put uterine bonuses in every cow they pulled. And if a cow retained placenta, they came out and unbuttoned it and gave uterine bonuses.
If she is treated, the good bugs get killed with the bad, so the residue sits in her uterus and rots causing her to get sick.
You can massage the uterus of a woman with a retained placenta externally, so I'd bet you could sleeve a cow and do it internally. But I've never done it so I'm just speculating.

Any vets want to weigh in?

You are correct Jeanne except I think the good and the bad bugs are all the same bugs. If the membrane does not separate physiologically shortly after birth then it needs time for the decaying process involving bugs to work so any antibiotics are counter productive.

Ken

You are probably correct, but I trust my vets opinion. She was pretty druppy and the afterbirth I got out of her was starting to stink pretty bad . Next day she was heads up and acting like she felt better . Both calves are nursing on their own and she's back mothering them . Saw her give the heifer a good tongue bath .

We did move them to a temporary stable under the hay barn . Supposed to get an inch of rain tonight and over 3 inches by Monday/Tuesday

Vet mentioned the boluses but said since the cervix has closed by day 3-4 you couldn't get them into the uterus. He's never put boluses in after pulling calves for me .

Years ago there was a bolus in a cardboard tube kinda like a pill gun. They were sold at all the feed stores. Put it in and throw the tube away. If i mention it now they look at me funny.

Years ago there was a bolus in a cardboard tube kinda like a pill gun. They were sold at all the feed stores. Put it in and throw the tube away. If i mention it now they look at me funny.
Yes, they used to put uterine antibiotic boluses in all the time. Finally, learned they were actually hurting the healing process.

Latest posts