heifer bagging up

Help Support CattleToday:

linebacker

Reaction score
Went to check heifers today and noticed on of them bagging up like it was getting ready to calve. I am having a hard time figuring this out because the bulls were placed with them at the beginning of March. What might make her bag up?

Is she actually bagging up or did her udder just drop some? I don't mean to insult you or question your intelligence, but to the inexperienced eye the latter can - and has - been mistaken for the former. If she is actually bagging up - udder becoming more rounded and firm as it fills with milk, tits becoming engorged and distended - I would say the bull got to her without your knowledge. Just my thoughts.

THERE COULD BE SOMETHING NURSING HER OR IT COULD BE JUST A HORMONAL THING. I HAVE HAD A COUPLE OF HEIFERS THAT DID THE SAME THING WHEN THEY GOT OLD ENOUGH TO BREED AND THEN IT JUST WENT AWAY. I ALSO HAD A SIX MONTH OLD HEIFER DEVELOP MASTITIS THE VET SAID IT IS PRETTY RARE BUT IT HAPPENS.

Heifers can be very unpredictable when talking about "bagging up". Two cases just this year here: First was a heifer that dropped a bag and started filling over a month before she calved. Second was a heifer that went from hardly being able to see her teats to calving in 3-4 days. The second has one of the nicest bags I've seen.

I'd pay more attention to the rear end with a heifer.

Latest posts