Heat Tolerance and the Cattle Market

Help Support CattleToday:

JWBrahman

Reaction score
I am not trying to start a fight, just want to share a few observations from the Bayou.

It is a whole lot easier to get rid of ear and leather than it is to get rid of spots. You can breed a Brangus bull to a Jersey/Angus cow, or even a Charolais bull to a Simbrah cow, and the ears get tiny and the skin is tight.

But if you put a Longhorn in there, trying to get heat tolerance, you will never get rid of the spots. I've seen 7/8 Angus 1/8 Longhorn cows that are still covered with white spots.

the fact that some even think that Longhorn is more that a novelty is so hard to understand. It is what it is...unless you are a UT Longhorn fan, not sure why you have them...

While the longhorns are cool critters to be look at, they and their crossbreds weren't impressed me enough and they shouldn't be in commerical business. They do makes great rodeo stock through.

You got doctors telling their heart patients that they can eat all the beef they want, so long as it is longhorn. I don't own one. Never have.

Red Bull Breeder":u2jjm4g3 said:
I no a few who have done well with longhorn cows in the commerical market. Not how much a calf brings at market that determines profit.
I failed to see how they can do well with longhorn cows in a commerical market.

Taurus":24sg85ri said:
Red Bull Breeder":24sg85ri said:
I no a few who have done well with longhorn cows in the commerical market. Not how much a calf brings at market that determines profit.
I failed to see how they can do well with longhorn cows in a commerical market.
they bring less money, but cheaper input.....

Thats alright! Most can't seem to figure is out. Mostly them guys make money because they don't have to spend money on them ole longhorn cows.

A longhorn with a solid pattern such as solid red or one with the larger color pattern is easy to bread out the spots. Ths small spot pattern is harder. But bred to a Charolais bull it is rarely a problem. I feel the longhorns i have are by far the most profitable cows in the herd. Plus they keep the dogs and yotes out.

Red Bull Breeder":qw8cdt8w said:
Thats alright! Most can't seem to figure is out. Mostly them guys make money because they don't have to spend money on them ole longhorn cows.
They may be cheaper and low input cows but they still has few downsides, especially that longhorns took up lots of space in the corrals, chutes and trailers. Last summer, a customer needs my help with corraling up his herd (mostly Longhorn x Highland x Hereford x Jersey X Corriente crosses cows) and I can tell you the cows hate to touch each other in the corral!

I can understand that longhorns makes great low input cows but dealing with their large horns can be a pain in butt.

I usually have one or two long horns in my herd. I almost always breed to a Charolais bull. Maybe one in ten calves looks like a long horn to me. It might just be my luck, but the Charolais seems to cover the spots pretty good.

I've just rented 80 acres for nothing. It has about 15 acres of pasture and the rest is clear cut with a lot of grass in it. I had some angus cross cows on it and all they did was graze the pasture and never in the clear cut. So I sold those cows and I'm gonna pick up some LH and put a char bull on them and sing all the way to the bank.

heath":cgdbcqex said:
TexasBred":cgdbcqex said:
heath":cgdbcqex said:
All but one of my LH crosses had their horns sawed off at the salebarn when they were bought.
lol, hard to lead one home. :lol:
A horse and a couple of dogs and I can put them anywhere I want
:cboy:
Do you pull the teeth outta them dogs just in case you fall off the horse?? :shock:

i had a horse buck me up in the middle of 3 chained gaurd dogs,, they were chained across from each other at a old gas station and there he was bucking right in the center and them, biting his legs back and forth till he unwedged me.. i hit the ground like hawkeye hinson and never looked back till i was clear of em ,, they were to hot on him, are they would have gotton me... horse ran across the field, went down the bank, running down the Interstate eyes big as saucers... :lol:

ALACOWMAN":2bwp3tku said:
i had a horse buck me up in the middle of 3 chained gaurd dogs,, they were chained across from each other at a old gas station and there he was bucking right in the center and them, biting his legs back and forth till he unwedged me.. i hit the ground like hawkeye hinson and never looked back till i was clear of em ,, they were to hot on him, are they would have gotton me... horse ran across the field, went down the bank, running down the Interstate... :lol:
Boy, there's a name you don;t hear much anymore!

Latest posts