Heard a rumor yesterday.

Help Support CattleToday:

bball":173mm8sq said:
Wow man! Just wow! The lack of empathy and understanding on here is astonishing. I have dealt with many aspects of suicide because of my career; everything from doing one on one's until we can get them placed, to coding those who have tried or suceeded. I sure don't pass judgement on a 14 year old boy who hangs himself because he didn't make the sports team. But I sure don't believe he is a coward. Probably hurting real bad in some other areas of his life. Or the countless number of teens and pre-teens who take bottles of pills. Some want attn and some have issues in their brains where the chemicals don't work like mine or yours do. Worst part is you can't just look at them and tell. Another little tidbit- for those who are truly suicidal, the time frame from suicidal ideation to physical action is less than 5 minutes. Under 5 minutes! Another tidbit, if a white middle aged man tells you he has been struggling with suicidal thoughts, you best get him some help- because there is no category of people more likely to act swiftly and completely. Before some of you hard azz fellas go spouting off your rhetoric, please realize there are many chemicals in your brain that impact how you think, cope and react. Sorry. It's real and it's science. Just because you are blessed to think clearly most of the time, doesn't mean everyone else is. Some folks are tortured in their own minds. I can't truly fathom such a thing-but I have dealt with enough to know it's real.

bball, we needed that lecture! Thanks.

I don't know if in my entire life, I have seen a victim of suicide blamed. I have always been part of the crowd that assumed they were lost in the darkness of their thoughts. Hopeless. In tremendous pain.

I never thought about a teen committing suicide for not making the baseball team. Seems there would have to be other factors.

My son Clint was in elementary school soccer. He was average at best but he enjoyed it. He was playing goalie and missed a ball. His teammates booed him. Poor guy walked over to me and said, "Dad, I want to go home." I said all the things a parent says at those moments but it did no good. He looked at me and was not crying or distressed. Just simply said it was no longer important to him. I took him home. I was amazed that he was not upset.

So, hard to believe that young man you used in the example did not have other things going on. Like you said, there was something in his life causing him tremendous pain.

inyati13":2janvlpx said:
bball":2janvlpx said:
Wow man! Just wow! The lack of empathy and understanding on here is astonishing. I have dealt with many aspects of suicide because of my career; everything from doing one on one's until we can get them placed, to coding those who have tried or suceeded. I sure don't pass judgement on a 14 year old boy who hangs himself because he didn't make the sports team. But I sure don't believe he is a coward. Probably hurting real bad in some other areas of his life. Or the countless number of teens and pre-teens who take bottles of pills. Some want attn and some have issues in their brains where the chemicals don't work like mine or yours do. Worst part is you can't just look at them and tell. Another little tidbit- for those who are truly suicidal, the time frame from suicidal ideation to physical action is less than 5 minutes. Under 5 minutes! Another tidbit, if a white middle aged man tells you he has been struggling with suicidal thoughts, you best get him some help- because there is no category of people more likely to act swiftly and completely. Before some of you hard azz fellas go spouting off your rhetoric, please realize there are many chemicals in your brain that impact how you think, cope and react. Sorry. It's real and it's science. Just because you are blessed to think clearly most of the time, doesn't mean everyone else is. Some folks are tortured in their own minds. I can't truly fathom such a thing-but I have dealt with enough to know it's real.

I don't know if in my entire life, I have seen a victim of suicide blamed. I have always been part of the crowd that assumed they were lost in the darkness of their thoughts. Hopeless. In tremendous pain.

I never thought about a teen committing suicide for not making the baseball team. Seems there would have to be other factors.

My son Clint was in elementary school soccer. He was average at best but he enjoyed it. He was playing goalie and missed a ball. His teammates booed him. Poor guy walked over to me and said, "Dad, I want to go home." I said all the things a parent says at those moments but it did no good. He looked at me and was not crying or distressed. Just simply said it was no longer important to him. I took him home. I was amazed that he was not upset.

So, hard to believe that young man you used in the example did not have other things going on. Like you said, there was something in his life causing him tremendous pain.

Sorry it came off as a lecture. Going on minimal sleep in the midst of a long work stretch. Tad edgy.

That one hit close to home because I had a son at the same age when it happened. My children knew his sister. He left her a note explaining why. Sounds like he felt lIke sports was his only escape. Sad. His dad is a pillar in the community.
Chemicals, synapses and neurons have an awful lot tod o with how we cope, perceive, value. Again, I apologize if I became salty. Humanity is rarely as simple as we would like to boil it down to sometimes.

Can not believe I'm posting this. But, maybe I should. I have a family member (female 20 years old). I suspicion she is depressed. Mental illness/depression/ and suicide are actually quit common in her mothers family. I've thought about her 100 times in the last couple of days. Due to her quit nature, and my boisterous nature, we're not very close. She still lives at home, how in the world do you approach something like that? I believe that she would tell her parents if she was in very bad shape. I also believe they would see the signs. The signs are fairly obvious to me though (if I'm not imagining them). She is plastering social media, with how happy and blessed that she is. She may be that happy, and I hope she is. My gut tells me other wise. A sprinklin of our users probably have some training on stuff like this. Do people sometimes overly portray themselves as happy, when they are depressed.

Bigfoot":39vsqil6 said:
Can not believe I'm posting this. But, maybe I should. I have a family member (female 20 years old). I suspicion she is depressed. Mental illness/depression/ and suicide are actually quit common in her mothers family. I've thought about her 100 times in the last couple of days. Due to her quit nature, and my boisterous nature, we're not very close. She still lives at home, how in the world do you approach something like that? I believe that she would tell her parents if she was in very bad shape. I also believe they would see the signs. The signs are fairly obvious to me though (if I'm not imagining them). She is plastering social media, with how happy and blessed that she is. She may be that happy, and I hope she is. My gut tells me other wise. A sprinklin of our users probably have some training on stuff like this. Do people sometimes overly portray themselves as happy, when they are depressed.

On my way to work. But I will PM you a little later.

callmefence":15q4bqfj said:
inyati13":15q4bqfj said:
Rafter S":15q4bqfj said:
I heard somewhere that suicide is the most selfish thing a person can do. I don't have any personal experience with it, but I'd have to agree. Most people that do it seem to leave a terrible mess behind for family and friends to deal with.

If you did, this post would have been authored by your ghost!!!

Gosh man, where do you guys come up with this?

No one gets up in the morning and says to them self, "I am going to be selfish and kill myself."

These cases are associated with mental illness. Depression, etc. I don't think a person who functions well would ever do more than simply image shooting them self.

People get up and decided to kill themselves all the time.
It's very common after a major market crash.
Simply to weak and cowardly to clean up their own mess. You can paint anything from Suicide to murder to sexual predators with the term mental illness. A man that bails on his family or the life God gave him , is a coward.

A person that is terminal ill is a entirely different situation.

Fence, nothing involving the mind is simple. I am not picking on you. You are too big for me to pick on. Plus, you are the Noble Knight of Bright Raven Simmental Farm. BTW: You need to get back to the castle and start killing Black Vultures. I got calves coming in six weeks. 8)

bball":9ohsm5t6 said:
Bigfoot":9ohsm5t6 said:

On my way to work. But I will PM you a little later.

Appreciated

bball":1rd9w1ei said:
inyati13":1rd9w1ei said:
bball":1rd9w1ei said:

Sorry it came off as a lecture. Going on minimal sleep in the midst of a long work stretch. Tad edgy.

That one hit close to home because I had a son at the same age when it happened. My children knew his sister. He left her a note explaining why. Sounds like he felt lIke sports was his only escape. Sad. His dad is a pillar in the community.
Chemicals, synapses and neurons have an awful lot tod o with how we cope, perceive, value. Again, I apologize if I became salty. Humanity is rarely as simple as we would like to boil it down to sometimes.

I don't want to poke a tired ball.
But he topic here was a grown man who took his life over a business loss.
To compare a disturbed youth is like the save the children battle cry.
A poor comparison to a man in the other post who committed sucicide because of a dwi. He should have paid his fine, did his time and quit drinking. Made his wrongs right. You can blame it on chemicals in the brain , you can blame any human action on that.

You and Prince can yell from the rafters that it's ok. And chase it with modern science. Good luck.

I will continue to teach mine that it is a disgraceful and cowardly act. The ultimate disgrace to yourself and God. The way it was seen generations ago.
Wonder when suicide rates were lower???

Fence:
I will go with you on this. You want to stay on the subject of the "grown man" who is rumored to have committed suicide. Fine.

What do we know about his suicide? This thread is nothing more that second, third, fourth hand commentary.

What are the circumstances of his suicide. Maybe he found out he has terminal cancer and it just so happens he also lost money on a cattle trade.

inyati13":36nmlrlm said:
Fence:
I will go with you on this. You want to stay on the subject of the "grown man" who is rumored to have committed suicide. Fine.

What do we know about his suicide? This thread is nothing more that second, third, fourth hand commentary.

What are the circumstances of his suicide. Maybe he found out he has terminal cancer and it just so happens he also lost money on a cattle trade.

Agreed the entire discussion is based on a speculation. But the speculation is he committed suicide because of a failed business venture.
I've already stated a terminally ill person is a separate matter. Like a mortally wounded soldier taking a lethal dose of morphine.
It's as different as murder and self defense

callmefence":3p988l4u said:
inyati13":3p988l4u said:
Fence:

Agreed the entire discussion is based on a speculation. But the speculation is he committed suicide because of a failed business venture.
I've already stated a terminally ill person is a separate matter. Like a mortally wounded soldier taking a lethal dose of morphine.
It's as different as murder and self defense

I am good with that. I have to think that other factors in his life were lining up against him. Maybe marital issues, health problems, etc. Maybe he was chronically depressed.

I've been in some dark, dark places. But it never got that dark for me. I agree with some of the early posters that some people are tortured in their own mind. I've definitely seen several people that I knew very well commit suicide and I couldn't believe it. Doesn't make suicide the right answer for sure, but you never know what someone's going through.

bball":1m9354ju said:

The human mind is much more complex than I can even comprehend so no need for me to even try to understand the how's and why's make these decisions. I know if you ever find me shot, call the police.

TexasBred":3hujwhby said:
The human mind is much more complex than I can even comprehend so no need for me to even try to understand the how's and why's make these decisions. I know if you ever find me shot, call the police.

If you ever find me shot call an ambulance first. I hope whoever shot me, because I ain't shooting myself, didn't kill me and I'm still alive.

JMJ Farms":1t1khvgq said:
I've been in some dark, dark places. But it never got that dark for me. I agree with some of the early posters that some people are tortured in their own mind. I've definitely seen several people that I knew very well commit suicide and I couldn't believe it. Doesn't make suicide the right answer for sure, but you never know what someone's going through.

Well said. One could argue that Jesus committed suicide by going into the Garden of Gethsemane and I don't think this in any way was being selfish. Until you walk in another man's shoes you have no right to judge.

Bigfoot":21p10dxp said:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...ty-pennsylvania-runner-showed-only-part-story

I thought this article sounded a lot like what you are talking about as far as masking depression while showing themselves to be happy on social media. I read this a while back and felt I learned something from it.

Latest posts