Heard a rumor yesterday.

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
One of the main buyers of the high priced cattle in the area in 2014 and 2015 shot himself. I do not have any names just that someone told me that.

hurleyjd":2913efb8 said:
One of the main buyers of the high priced cattle in the area in 2014 and 2015 shot himself. I do not have any names just that someone told me that.

I hope a rumor. The mind can become a dark place. I would not call him a coward. I am thankful I have not gone into the deep well that many do not climb out of.

The mind is a tricky thing. Love and money will sometimes trigger a bad reaction.

callmefence":126vt35d said:
If I shot myself for every cow I paid to much for, I'd need to sell a few to buy enough ammo.

No one shoots themselves over a cow. First, may only be rumor.

There may have been a history of mental illness.

inyati13":1v4rff95 said:
callmefence":1v4rff95 said:
If I shot myself for every cow I paid to much for, I'd need to sell a few to buy enough ammo.

No one shoots themselves over a cow. First, may only be rumor.

There may have been a history of mental illness.

Yeah that's what Hurley said. I heard him.
I just spoke on the subject. Pardon me...

Fwiw plenty of people kill themselves over less.

I heard somewhere that suicide is the most selfish thing a person can do. I don't have any personal experience with it, but I'd have to agree. Most people that do it seem to leave a terrible mess behind for family and friends to deal with.

Rafter S":7etzhm1h said:
I heard somewhere that suicide is the most selfish thing a person can do. I don't have any personal experience with it, but I'd have to agree. Most people that do it seem to leave a terrible mess behind for family and friends to deal with.

If you did, this post would have been authored by your ghost!!!

Gosh man, where do you guys come up with this?

No one gets up in the morning and says to them self, "I am going to be selfish and kill myself."

These cases are associated with mental illness. Depression, etc. I don't think a person who functions well would ever do more than simply image shooting them self.

Rafter S":bmkfavc6 said:

From personal experience I've seen the reverse to be true.

I know three who did it because of their love for their families because the family would be better off if they were dead than alive. All had a choice to either leave their life's work to their family or to give it all to a hospital as they withered and died. Given the choices these people had I can't say I wouldn't have done the same because when I can no longer wipe my own t-hiney I think its time to leave this world.

I want at least once in my life as an adult, to get the satisfaction of making the world have to wipe my t-hinney.

inyati13":2exm9rej said:
Rafter S":2exm9rej said:

No one gets up in the morning and says to them self, "I am going to be selfish and kill myself."

These cases are associated with mental illness. Depression, etc. I don't think a person who functions well would ever do more than simply image shooting them self.

By personal experience I meant I've never been close to someone that's done it. And I don't believe that the people that do it are intentionally selfish.

Jogeephus":9xwh5p57 said:
Rafter S":9xwh5p57 said:

From personal experience I've seen the reverse to be true.

I know three who did it because of their love for their families because the family would be better off if they were dead than alive. All had a choice to either leave their life's work to their family or to give it all to a hospital as they withered and died. Given the choices these people had I can't say I wouldn't have done the same because when I can no longer wipe my own t-hiney I think its time to leave this world.

Everyone looks at things different. I know there are some topics we aren't supposed to get into, so I'll just say that I don't believe that decision is mine to make and leave it at that.

inyati13":3hh15i8x said:
Rafter S":3hh15i8x said:

People get up and decided to kill themselves all the time.
It's very common after a major market crash.
Simply to weak and cowardly to clean up their own mess. You can paint anything from Suicide to murder to sexual predators with the term mental illness. A man that bails on his family or the life God gave him , is a coward.

A person that is terminal ill is a entirely different situation.

Wow man! Just wow! The lack of empathy and understanding on here is astonishing. I have dealt with many aspects of suicide because of my career; everything from doing one on one's until we can get them placed, to coding those who have tried or suceeded. I sure don't pass judgement on a 14 year old boy who hangs himself because he didn't make the sports team. But I sure don't believe he is a coward. Probably hurting real bad in some other areas of his life. Or the countless number of teens and pre-teens who take bottles of pills. Some want attn and some have issues in their brains where the chemicals don't work like mine or yours do. Worst part is you can't just look at them and tell. Another little tidbit- for those who are truly suicidal, the time frame from suicidal ideation to physical action is less than 5 minutes. Under 5 minutes! Another tidbit, if a white middle aged man tells you he has been struggling with suicidal thoughts, you best get him some help- because there is no category of people more likely to act swiftly and completely. Before some of you hard azz fellas go spouting off your rhetoric, please realize there are many chemicals in your brain that impact how you think, cope and react. Sorry. It's real and it's science. Just because you are blessed to think clearly most of the time, doesn't mean everyone else is. Some folks are tortured in their own minds. I can't truly fathom such a thing-but I have dealt with enough to know it's real.

bball":2b1wmis9 said:
Wow man! Just wow! The lack of empathy and understanding on here is astonishing. I have dealt with many aspects of suicide because of my career; everything from doing one on one's until we can get them placed, to coding those who have tried or suceeded. I sure don't pass judgement on a 14 year old boy who hangs himself because he didn't make the sports team. But I sure don't believe he is a coward. Probably hurting real bad in some other areas of his life. Or the countless number of teens and pre-teens who take bottles of pills. Some want attn and some have issues in their brains where the chemicals don't work like mine or yours do. Worst part is you can't just look at them and tell. Another little tidbit- for those who are truly suicidal, the time frame from suicidal ideation to physical action is less than 5 minutes. Under 5 minutes! Another tidbit, if a white middle aged man tells you he has been struggling with suicidal thoughts, you best get him some help- because there is no category of people more likely to act swiftly and completely. Before some of you hard azz fellas go spouting off your rhetoric, please realize there are many chemicals in your brain that impact how you think, cope and react. Sorry. It's real and it's science. Just because you are blessed to think clearly most of the time, doesn't mean everyone else is. Some folks are tortured in their own minds. I can't truly fathom such a thing-but I have dealt with enough to know it's real.
Thumbs Up!

hurleyjd":33h4tygo said:

Sort of old news. Yes. It happened. If you are referring to the big buyer out of Fort Worth it happened back in the spring. We had discussion about it here in the forum. Late March or early April time frame. It had affects on the market. Some folks are still blaming a down turn in prices on our level.

bball":2iv8uxa4 said:
Some want attn and some have issues in their brains where the chemicals don't work like mine or yours do. .

The last one close to me was a felony DWI case. He didn't show at court. Bondsman went looking for him and found him. Sad. Good man. Good cattleman. I would have never thought it. But it happened.

Latest posts