Health care

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brandonm22":1onuwhkt said:
No Frankie. Reread the post, it says that 1) she works and 2) has health insurance through her employer. She pays for and gets excellent service through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama. Of course in two years she gets dumped into Medicare with all the other old people.............who will receive $550 billion worth of cuts in services under the Senate plan as most recently written.

Each knee surgery only cost a $75 copay.

Brandonm22, it sounds like your mother works for the government in some manner - maybe a teacher or something. If so, she does have excellent insurance through her state's group policy with Blue Cross but this is not the same coverage offered to private individuals who do not qualify for group coverage.

I think everyone should be allowed the opportunity to buy good affordable insurance and ALL insurance should be standardized. However, this is not the case. My sister was a teacher and she got cancer. Unfortunately when she got sick she could no longer work so she no longer qualified for the state's insurance and she had to pay as an idividual and her premiums went though the roof until she could no longer afford it. This could happen to anyone but it should happen to no one.

Personally, I don't really like the idea of government run health care. I'd rather see a standardized insurance coverage that offers the same coverage for a reasonable price to everyone. If the insurance companies feel they can make a profit within these constraints I think they should be given the opportunity to do so. If not, I'd just as soon see the government handle it cause we really don't know how good our insurance is until we need it and by then its too late.

This might have been brought up already but I quit reading and went straight to post.

How about that "cash for clunkers" program? The Govt. did a real bang up job there huh? The program was equivilent to a tax credit or rebate wouldn't you agree? Look at how many people ran out and took advantage of it. How many billion did they go through and in how many days did it take to do it? I cannot remember the exact numbers but I can garantee that if given that kind of incentive on health care people would jump on it too. The Govt. has NO BUSINESS WHATSOEVER in the decisions of my healthcare! For those of you that think it would be such a success let me ask you this.... Why won't the so called leaders pushing this crap go on it themselves? And also why not expand medicare/medicaid to cover the ones that can't afford insurance and leave the ones of us satisfied with our healthcare alone? It appears to me that the government covering only the ones that can't afford healthcare would be a sight cheaper than covering ALL AMERICANS.

:tiphat:

There is no more efficient system than a free market system. The one thing that will have to occur for a free health care market system to function properly is to get rid of medicaid and medicare. If this does not occur, costs will never be controlled, and there will always be people without insurance, getting dropped, or have too high premiums.

There is no other way.

Any other system will succeed for a while as long as the citizens have cash to prop it up.

HerefordSire":39srv19x said:
There is no more efficient system than a free market system. The one thing that will have to occur for a free health care market system to function properly is to get rid of medicaid and medicare. If this does not occur, costs will never be controlled, and there will always be people without insurance, getting dropped, or have too high premiums.

There is no other way.

Any other system will succeed for a while as long as the citizens have cash to prop it up.

I've never researched it but have always felt like medical cost begin to skyrocket when medicare became effective, followed by medicaid.

TexasBred":2fw27k0f said:
HerefordSire":2fw27k0f said:

There is no other way.

I've never researched it but have always felt like medical cost begin to skyrocket when medicare became effective, followed by medicaid.

You can see the proof by researching any medical treatment not covered by medicare and medicaid. Prices come down over time like computer technology as the result of competition and ingenuity. If the government started subsidizing computer technology, I could be making more than a doctor.

HerefordSire":222a66oz said:
TexasBred":222a66oz said:
HerefordSire":222a66oz said:

There is no other way.

You can see the proof by researching any medical treatment not covered by medicare and medicaid. Prices come down over time like computer technology as the result of competition and ingenuity. If the government started subsidizing computer technology, I could be making more than a doctor.

What a crock. People don't have to have computers; they do have to have medical care.

Medical costs have gone up, up, up over the last ten years as have health insurance premiums. There is no competition to speak of. That's what a public option offers: competition to the insurance companies. If the insurance companies keep their rates sensible and take care of their customers, no one would buy into the public option. Why are they so scared of it? Because they envision more and more money rolling in from higher and higher premiums and paying out fewer and fewer dollars for actualy medical care! If we get an alternative to private insurers, they'll actually have to compete. What a concept!

jdot":c01rzpz7 said:
This might have been brought up already but I quit reading and went straight to post.

How about that "cash for clunkers" program? The Govt. did a real bang up job there huh? The program was equivilent to a tax credit or rebate wouldn't you agree? Look at how many people ran out and took advantage of it. How many billion did they go through and in how many days did it take to do it? I cannot remember the exact numbers but I can garantee that if given that kind of incentive on health care people would jump on it too. The Govt. has NO BUSINESS WHATSOEVER in the decisions of my healthcare! For those of you that think it would be such a success let me ask you this.... Why won't the so called leaders pushing this crap go on it themselves? And also why not expand medicare/medicaid to cover the ones that can't afford insurance and leave the ones of us satisfied with our healthcare alone? It appears to me that the government covering only the ones that can't afford healthcare would be a sight cheaper than covering ALL AMERICANS.

:tiphat:

You're absolutely right: the government has no business in the decisions of your healthcare. But I assume it's ok with you if your insurance carrier has decisions in your healthcare? You know, like refusing to cover surgery that your doctor recommends? They do that and do it on a regular basis. One family watched their 17 year old daughter die from liver failure while they were in court trying to get their insurance company to pay for a liver transplant. They refused because she had lukemia. She was in remission, but the insurance company felt that she was a risk to have a recurrence. So why spend the money for a liver transplant? After all, the CEO needed another new jet or new mansion.

If you're satisfied with your healthcare, keep it. No one is suggesting that you HAVE to go with the public option. NOONE.

As long as Medicare and Medicaid, or any non-capitalist component exists where free markets cannot operate, we will always have the same issues. That is just the way it is.

Well I would like to talk to someone who had experienced both US and Canadian health care -----cause I'm sure as h@ll no wiser now, than I was when I started this post
Have a great weekend
carl

Status
Not open for further replies.