affordable health care

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":2gegnl61 said:
hurleyjd":2gegnl61 said:
We have had several members with health conditions in the family that required a large amount of intervention. Would really like to hear about what they would have done without any health care insurance. If it is not to personal.
They would have done like all the others. Let the doctors/hospitals file on medicaid and let somebody else pay it and let the doctors/hospitals charge off what medicaid didn't cover. It's still being done everyday.

Exactly. Plenty of folks out there doing just this..don't have any form of insurance at all (not even the quality insurance offered by state or federal govt). Hospital/doctors eat the costs (translation: pass it on to everyone that does have a means to pay=increased costs).

Edit to add: or the doctor shuts down their private practice because they can't afford to operate and do not want to crucify those that can pay and just contract their services through the hospital while everyone tries to keep their head above water...

Got it!
thumbs_up.gif

(I assume that has something to do with kids' video games? )

greybeard":26r7pxha said:
"intervention"?
Is that a liberal code word for something else?

The intervention I am referring to is when someone needs an expensive medical condition that is a life or death situations. Such as cancer, heart surgery or any kind of intervention that requires a skilled doctor to perform. These can run in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. This is procedures that cannot be performed in the emergency room. There has been situations in my area when a young couple is starting out at minimum wage jobs an sometimes self employed. One young woman in the area needed test for cancer. M.D.Anderson needed $35000 up front before they would see her. This is just one case. I think that maybe I should have used a procedure to save someones life instead of intervention.

hurleyjd":rajbksil said:
greybeard":rajbksil said:
"intervention"?
Is that a liberal code word for something else?

The intervention I am referring to is when someone needs an expensive medical condition that is a life or death situations. Such as cancer, heart surgery or any kind of intervention that requires a skilled doctor to perform. These can run in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. This is procedures that cannot be performed in the emergency room. There has been situations in my area when a young couple is starting out at minimum wage jobs an sometimes self employed. One young woman in the area needed test for cancer. M.D.Anderson needed $35000 up front before they would see her. This is just one case. I think that maybe I should have used a procedure to save someones life instead of intervention.

An immediate life threatening condition (requiring cardiac cat for example) gets done, worry about pay afterwards. Pretty standard procedure for most facilities. Conditions where someone has 'time' and doesn't have private insurance, case management or social services will get involved and provide assistance or guidance for any and all programs the pt is eligible for..including steering towards medicare/medicaid.

I have a brother that's a deadbeat and has almost nothing. His health care is as good or better than mine. And he pays nothing, and we almost $900. a month. Go figure.

That is what gets me. I still say you are better off not to have anything than to work your life away and let the government take from you to look after the lazy ones. Indigent people receive better care by far than the ones paying. I saw it time and time again when my mother was in the hospital. We are still getting bills from EMT's and labs . She had insurance through the railroad and Medicare.
Every time my husband goes to Emory, a big bill follows and us paying insurance and Medicare. Nothing is fair anymore. I read somewhere that more people are on welfare than are working. How much longer can we go on keeping these people up? The children get three meals a day at school now and everyone eats free. What do the mothers buy with EBT cards, if children eat at school? I think we all know the answer to that.
I am thankful that I had it instilled in me to work and pay my way. Never wanted nor expected a handout from the government. Too many able bodied young men and women are living off the system. I see them every time I go to town during working hours, and think about all the days that I worked. Did not know what it was to take off a day.
Help people who really need it and stop giving to these young able bodied people. We are upholding their laziness.

An example of how the uninsured handle the situation:

My office is 3 blocks from the hospital in our town. One day I heard a commotion up front and went to check on it. I saw a woman in a pickup w/the door open and lying back in the seat. There was an ambulance, EMT van, firetruck and 3 cop cars blocking my parking lot. I walked up to one of the officers to inquire what was going on. He looked disgusted and said they see this practically every day. There was a waiting list at the ER, so she was using this tactic to get brought in an ambulance to go to the head of the line. All this gets paid by Medicaid whether it is a heart attack or sniffles. The hospital also likes it because they get to bill for all the expensive tests whether the patient needed them or not. One of the nurses at the ER told me that they regularly get street people who come in complaining of weakness or passing out. They give them a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and they leave happy. :bang:

ram":bz2tfdr5 said:
I have a brother that's a deadbeat and has almost nothing. His health care is as good or better than mine. And he pays nothing, and we almost $900. a month. Go figure.

After being a licensed doctor for 30 years, this kind of claim is hard to read.

To claim that someone on Medicaid has the same or better coverage than a privately insured individual is so much hogwash it's hard to express.

But I guess the pendulum is required to have two extremes.

Williamsv":h7azzz7d said:
I am thankful that I had it instilled in me to work and pay my way. Never wanted nor expected a handout from the government.

This is a great place to remind people that at my age of (64) I also was taught to be self supporting. But the U.S. economy is not what it was back when I learned these lessons. I was taught at a time when jobs were plentiful and worth a lifetime commitment to an employer. When one's first job after college could easily be the job they retired from after 30+ years.

What is instilled in our youth today is to take everything you can for yourself and let everyone else fend for themselves. If you gain wealth, you have to hide it from "our" country, that gave you the opportunity and not pay your fair share of taxes.

I grew up at a time when personal handouts were less necessary than today.

gimpyrancher":2htztjaq said:
ram":2htztjaq said:

After being a licensed doctor for 30 years, this kind of claim is hard to read.

To claim that someone on Medicaid has the same or better coverage than a privately insured individual is so much hogwash it's hard to express.

But I guess the pendulum is required to have two extremes.
See that's where your wrong. Blue cross blue shield gets subsidized from the government for his Silver series health plan. Sorry I miss spoke he pays $40.00 a month and we pay the rest.

How many of you complaining voted for barry or didn't vote at all??

Your getting what u deserve... Sorry but it's true.

quartermeter":ai1i3ax8 said:
How many of you complaining voted for barry or didn't vote at all??

Your getting what u deserve... Sorry but it's true.

There ain't many on here that voted for barry. I'd imagine there's quite a few that didn't vote though. 2012 was the first year that the blacks out voted the whites, percentage wise.
Politics is off limits on this board, so I'll leave it at that.

Ok didnt know that. Thanks for sharing. Just wanted to put some truth out there. Either way I hope people learn from their mistakes. Nothing wrong with that statement.

quartermeter":1bb20d36 said:
Ok didnt know that. Thanks for sharing. Just wanted to put some truth out there. Either way I hope people learn from their mistakes. Nothing wrong with that statement.

I've been voting in every (and I do mean every, counting little local stuff) election since the 1970's. I did NOT vote for the current resident of the Whitehouse.

I've sent letters and e-mails to representatives, senators etc., over the years voicing my concerns. Signed petitions when applicable, attended county meetings, etc.

Perhaps that's the so-called "mistake" (as you put it) that I made!

For those of us that have done our due diligence and are now paying out the wazoo for the dishonest leeches, we get a little riled up when "we" are being told that we did it to ouselves.

Workinonit Farm":1yjsofm5 said:
quartermeter":1yjsofm5 said:

I've been voting in every (and I do mean every, counting little local stuff) election since the 1970's. I did NOT vote for the current resident of the Whitehouse.

I've sent letters and e-mails to representatives, senators etc., over the years voicing my concerns. Signed petitions when applicable, attended county meetings, etc.

Perhaps that's the so-called "mistake" (as you put it) that I made!

For those of us that have done our due diligence and are now paying out the wazoo for the dishonest leeches, we get a little riled up when "we" are being told that we did it to ouselves.

Well if you didn't vote for Obummer, then I don't believe you are the "we" quartermeter is talking about.

Your right I didn't say WE. Because WE didn't do it. I said how many of YOU. Meaning YOU and YOU and YOU.....that did do it. Now have a nice day.

TexasBred":276e3cak said:
sim.-ang.king":276e3cak said:
Well if you didn't vote for Obummer, then I don't believe you are the "we" quartermeter is talking about.

Actually he didn't say "we". He said "you".
But "we" can be used for a group of "you's". :lol:

Latest posts