Hayfield Grass ID

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":viq2uhx1 said:
sim.-ang.king":viq2uhx1 said:
Now that I look at on my computer, it actually looks more like Foxtail, with those purple blotches, let it head out and find out.

Also FYI 2-4d will kill crabgrass, and is quite effective against it at higher rates.

That's interesting. Why would it be effective on a "grass" type plant? Not arguing - wanting to learn because that is totally opposite from what I "knew". It is safe to use around corn because it is considered a grass.

I have a pasture full of red river crabgrass that gets sprayed every year.

jwimberly":1a9v344h said:
27zf1ns.jpg

Well I guess I told y'all wrong. Looks like it does have a seed head after a second look.

Johnson grass

Dogs and Cows":3md94417 said:
It is not johnsongrass!!! I too have this grass in NC. JG has a white midrib on the leaves and is 5 to 6 feet tall. This grass does not grow that tall or look like JG. The cows will eat it...but don't seem to "relish" it. I don't know what it is, but can definitely say it ain't JG or crabgrass.

Tim

I have looked and looked at pictures of Johnsongrass on the Internet. Some pictures look identical to the OPs field. Others definitely show the tell tale white midrib you mentioned. So I am no closer to identifying it than I was yesterday. Are there more than one species of Johnsongrass? What we call Johnsongrass here doesn't look exactly like the OPs picture. Could be a regional thing. Whatever it is I feel like it's it the sorghum family, as is Johnsongrass. But then again that may be wrong as well. I'm still interested to see what the final verdict is.

JMJ Farms":1dh3ixcm said:
Dogs and Cows":1dh3ixcm said:
It is not johnsongrass!!! I too have this grass in NC. JG has a white midrib on the leaves and is 5 to 6 feet tall. This grass does not grow that tall or look like JG. The cows will eat it...but don't seem to "relish" it. I don't know what it is, but can definitely say it ain't JG or crabgrass.

Tim

I have looked and looked at pictures of Johnsongrass on the Internet. Some pictures look identical to the OPs field. Others definitely show the tell tale white midrib you mentioned. So I am no closer to identifying it than I was yesterday. Are there more than one species of Johnsongrass? What we call Johnsongrass here doesn't look exactly like the OPs picture. Could be a regional thing. Whatever it is I feel like it's it the sorghum family, as is Johnsongrass. But then again that may be wrong as well. I'm still interested to see what the final verdict is.

It looks like wild rice grass that grows here to me.

Dogs and Cows":1gqb5utx said:

Tim
I'm of the opinion with Tim. Def not johnson grass. This stuff doesn't get that tall. Maybe 24 inches or so and then it'll bow over and not hold itself up. My girls seem to love it though.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2qd59xom said:
sim.-ang.king":2qd59xom said:
Now that I look at on my computer, it actually looks more like Foxtail, with those purple blotches, let it head out and find out.

Also FYI 2-4d will kill crabgrass, and is quite effective against it at higher rates.

That's interesting. Why would it be effective on a "grass" type plant? Not arguing - wanting to learn because that is totally opposite from what I "knew". It is safe to use around corn because it is considered a grass.
2-4d won't kill most grass, but it does affect all plants. It can kill young grass sprouts, and can de-flower grasses while in bloom, and even kill some grasses. Crabgrass and nutsedge are the least resistant grasses to 2-4d. Spraying 2 pints of 2-4d, or 1 pint dicamba, sprayed on crabgrass before it matures, or before tillering works better, will kill most varieties of crabgrass. Some varieties are more resistant to it than others. It's a common miss conception that 2-4d doesn't not harm all grasses in any way. Being resistant to a herbicide does not mean that the herbicide doesn't affect the plant still. Even round-up can kill round-up beans, or set them back, if sprayed at the wrong time, or at a high rate.

I too have this in one pasture . 75% this and 25% fescue . Spray 2-4D evry year . My neighbor thinks its bahia . Im know nothing about bahia . Whatever it is its def a summer grass

jwimberly":1dxongou said:
Burno I'm having trouble finding good info on wild rice. Is it the same as jungle rice?

Looks similar like what some call barn yard grass. The wild rice is more prolific here. Came in from the west coast where most of our seed is produced.

BobbyLummus1":3rdluq3w said:
I too have this in one pasture . 75% this and 25% fescue . Spray 2-4D evry year . My neighbor thinks its bahia . Im know nothing about bahia . Whatever it is its def a summer grass

It's not Bahia as that is the forage of East Texas.
I have Argentine,Pensacola and Paraguay bahias.

Definitely not bahia or crabgrass. At first I thought it might be johnsongrass also. But something about it, at least in these pictures, didn't seem to let me make that match definitively. Not trying to be rude, but I assumed everyone in the southeast that does any kind of farming knows what johnsongrass looks like since it is so prolific here, especially in hay fields. My guess is that it is foxtail millet. But the seed head you pictured doesn't match that either. The seed head matches more closely with johnsongrass than foxtail. So evidently, I'm no help at all. :D

Okaye, send a good sample of grass, seed heads, and a clump of undisturbed roots to your state A&M U. If they won't accommodate you send it ti TAMU Ag, Extension service, in Overton, Tx.

jwimberly":24b3bmzu said:
27zf1ns.jpg

Well I guess I told y'all wrong. Looks like it does have a seed head after a second look.
Looks like one of the sprangletops but dunno which one. The long flagleaf sticking up over the seedhead is a clue tho. I have a slow connection today and couldn't get this to load but it's usually pretty accurate.
https://plants.uaex.edu/weed_id/display ... gory=Grass

I hope you don't mind me commenting, but I have been researching this too. Look up Redtop and see what you think.

Dogs and Cows":4b4pez12 said:
CB...I think you may be right...looked at a picture on google and very similar...even with the purple tips of the leaves...anyone else think this may be it? Also, I think this grass likes to grow in wetter soils...areas that don't drain very well...is that what you are seeing jwimberly?

Tim
Definitely a wet soil until the miserable July/August days dries it up real well. What gets me is the seed head looks just like a sorghum/johnson grass but doesn't get anywhere near as tall. I'll snap some better pics in a few weeks before my next cutting. Maybe it'll be easier to ID then.

Latest posts