Hayfield Grass ID

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms":1s8ol2gn said:
Caustic Burno":1s8ol2gn said:
My coastal field fertilized will easily produce 24 to 30 rolls per acre/year.
My Hay guy is going to bail it the next week or so when we get a break in the rain. I will try to get pictures.

I have to fertilize heavily to get good quality and quantity. I have one of the best hayfields around my parts. If I fertilize exactly according to soil tests and UGA recommendations AND get good rainfall I can average (4-5) 4x6 rolls per acre across 3 cuttings. That's as good as it's getting here. In a perfect world I may get (4) cuttings in one growing season but that has only happened once in the last 7 years and my avg that year was 15 bales/ac/year.

Unfertilized coastal no problem getting 6 4x5's to the acre, fertilized it will turn out ten easy. Bahia will give you four unfertilized six fertilized all day.
Anything less than that we call pasture not a hayfield.

Caustic Burno":2yjth9qw said:
JMJ Farms":2yjth9qw said:
Caustic Burno":2yjth9qw said:
My coastal field fertilized will easily produce 24 to 30 rolls per acre/year.
My Hay guy is going to bail it the next week or so when we get a break in the rain. I will try to get pictures.

I have to fertilize heavily to get good quality and quantity. I have one of the best hayfields around my parts. If I fertilize exactly according to soil tests and UGA recommendations AND get good rainfall I can average (4-5) 4x6 rolls per acre across 3 cuttings. That's as good as it's getting here. In a perfect world I may get (4) cuttings in one growing season but that has only happened once in the last 7 years and my avg that year was 15 bales/ac/year.

Unfertilized coastal no problem getting 6 4x5's to the acre, fertilized it will turn out ten easy. Bahia will give you four unfertilized six fertilized all day.

One difference between our yields is my rolls contain 30% more hay than yours. But even with that I'm not getting those kinds of yields. And no one else around here is either unless they have a center pivot.

CB yield fertilized Bermuda = 785 cubic feet per cutting. (10 rolls/acre @ 4x5 size rolls)
JMJ yield fertilized Bermuda = 508 cu feet per cutting (4.5 rolls/acre @ 4x6 size rolls)

JMJ Farms":2tm3cnd2 said:
Caustic Burno":2tm3cnd2 said:
JMJ Farms":2tm3cnd2 said:

One difference between our yields is my rolls contain 30% more hay than yours. But even with that I'm not getting those kinds of yields. And no one else around here is either unless they have a center pivot.

CB yield fertilized Bermuda = 785 cubic feet per cutting. (10 rolls/acre @ 4x5 size rolls)
JMJ yield fertilized Bermuda = 508 cu feet per cutting (4.5 rolls/acre @ 4x6 size rolls)

That is my best field JMJ I have or ever had and it's only six acres. It has something that is just right. My Bahia hayfields routinely would yield 5 4x5's a cutting. That is fertilized at 400 pounds per acre. Where we get a jump most years we get first cutting in April.
My cattle prefer the Bahia over the Bermuda.

Caustic Burno":5n59hqp7 said:
JMJ Farms":5n59hqp7 said:
Caustic Burno":5n59hqp7 said:

That is my best field JMJ I have or ever had and it's only six acres. It has something that is just right. My Bahia hayfields routinely would yield 5 4x5's a cutting. That is fertilized at 400 pounds per acre. Where we get a jump most years we get first cutting in April.

Mine like the Bahia too. Got a question for you CB (or anyone else for that matter). I can take a fresh roll of the best (TDN, protein, nitrates, sugar and everything else) hay you can find and roll it out. Then I can take one that has been sitting in the rain for 3 years that at least 1/2 rotten and roll it out beside it. Mine will go to the old hay first every time. Why?

JMJ Farms":11qq6cze said:
Mine like the Bahia too. Got a question for you CB (or anyone else for that matter). I can take a fresh roll of the best (TDN, protein, nitrates, sugar and everything else) hay you can find and roll it out. Then I can take one that has been sitting in the rain for 3 years that at least 1/2 rotten and roll it out beside it. Mine will go to the old hay first every time. Why?

Hence the reason there isn't an IQ rating on your EPD sheet. Not saying your cows are stupid ..... but mine are.

Jogeephus":289ccn5q said:
JMJ Farms":289ccn5q said:

Hence the reason there isn't an IQ rating on your EPD sheet. Not saying your cows are stupid ..... but mine are.

As good of an explanation as any. As for cows being stupid. I've reached a conclusion. Either mine are the stupidest cows ever OR, when I want them to do something, they are taunting me. Idk which yet.

Seriously though, I think its just that its something new. I think once they eat enough of it they'll soon learn its not that great for them and they want jump at it as quick. Only exception to this I think is bahia hay. It might be the rankest stuff there is but they seem to like it. Can't help but think its from the seed the get but IDK.

I sent some off today for testing , that I couldn't identify, on a custom patch . Good yield , I thought overmature. Then I read an article coincidentally on native grasses here in Oklahoma and it centered on only cutting once a year and generally in the first week or two of july, and maybe I did ok. I'll share if it's so, and keep it to myself if I baled 72 bales of garden mulch or bonfire feed . lol

JMJ Farms":3i6h3jmc said:
Caustic Burno":3i6h3jmc said:
JMJ Farms":3i6h3jmc said:

I have no clue.
I usually have hay left over from the previous year they prefer it, coastal is the least desirable no matter what.
I have always attributed that to my pastures are Bahia and crabgrass .

JMJ Farms":3oe8abvq said:
Caustic Burno":3oe8abvq said:
Texasmark":3oe8abvq said:
"My Bermuda would avg 12 rolls/ac/year." Which Bermuda do you have J? Coastal, Tifton 85, other?

My Bahia hayfield avengers more than 12 rolls to the acre a year.

CB, the Bahia I cut is what I call common Bahia. Not sure if that's the right name. I have a 17 acre pasture that is Pensacola. I fertilize it lightly each year and I can see how with proper management, fertilizer, and good rainfall it would do as good as the Bermuda. That stuff really puts out some forage.

Being new to the grass, I guess my (very) limited experiences weren't with "managed" crops. Will pay more attention to it. Maybe work up a little spot where it has taken over and see what happens. I don't have any idea as to what variety it is.

I identified another type of major grass in my field as Dallisgrass also. What's the forums opinion on this stuff? It seems to do very well in these low creek bottoms this time of year. Last year on my second cutting I got 90 4x5's off about 15 acres so about 6 bales per acre. I did have to supplement last winter though so it must be a little low on protein?

If it weren't for Dallisgrass our cattle would starve through summer. Makes good hay, just a little ugly in the bale from what i hear.

It really grows. I mean really really grows. It is a cousin to Bahia. Responsive to N. Mine is mixed with white clover and does pretty dang good. I thought it was crabgrass for the first year or so i was here.

Don't let the seed heads get nasty looking. Mow them off to prevent cattle from eating them. Makes them weird. Slow, stumble, and just plain off their rocker.

Reading on Dallisgrass --- https://extension.tennessee.edu/Wilson/ ... sgrass.pdf

jwimberly":19gtkyop said:
I identified another type of major grass in my field as Dallisgrass also. What's the forums opinion on this stuff? It seems to do very well in these low creek bottoms this time of year. Last year on my second cutting I got 90 4x5's off about 15 acres so about 6 bales per acre. I did have to supplement last winter though so it must be a little low on protein?

Cows eat it I had one Hay field that had quite a bit in it. It is just lower quality I finally sprayed that field with roundup and replanted Bahia.They like smut grass hay as well, that's another story.

Texasmark":3f3w4eyx said:
JMJ Farms":3f3w4eyx said:
Caustic Burno":3f3w4eyx said:
My Bahia hayfield avengers more than 12 rolls to the acre a year.

CB, the Bahia I cut is what I call common Bahia. Not sure if that's the right name. I have a 17 acre pasture that is Pensacola. I fertilize it lightly each year and I can see how with proper management, fertilizer, and good rainfall it would do as good as the Bermuda. That stuff really puts out some forage.

Being new to the grass, I guess my (very) limited experiences weren't with "managed" crops. Will pay more attention to it. Maybe work up a little spot where it has taken over and see what happens. I don't have any idea as to what variety it is.

My bet being east Texas it's Argentine.

Maybe not.
When I bought hundreds of lbs of Bahia seed in 2006-07-08, to get bahia jump started after logging, it was all Pensacola.....Got it at the Co-op in Bryan. it's the only variety they had at the time.

greybeard":2vtlw8gr said:
Maybe not.
When I bought hundreds of lbs of Bahia seed in 2006-07-08, to get bahia jump started after logging, it was all Pensacola.....Got it at the Co-op in Bryan. it's the only variety they had at the time.

In the last ten years yes if the grass is old stand it's Argentine. The improved varieties are fairly new compared to Argentine that everyone planted for improved forage.
It is easy to tell by look Pensacola has a longer narrower leaf than Argentine.

Dogs and Cows":3m80nqkj said:
I am fencing the entire spot with woven wire fence and figure I'll throw some goats in there early spring and pull them out and sell em in the fall...they should keep the brush down.
Tim

You didn't ask Tim but my :2cents: is unless you have lots of experience and time with them stay away from Boer goats. Buy some briar goats if you can.

Latest posts