Hay unroller

Help Support CattleToday:

I ended up having about $600 in that one including painting supplies. I went a little overboard and build all the frame out of 1/4" thick 2" square tubing.

kentuckyguy said:
Got mine finished and painted. Anxious to see how much improvement this makes on my pasture.

ja4w3kC.jpg

That looks good, you'll see improvement. I'm probably switching to an electric winch before hayin time.

Here's a moldy bale I unrolled to make sure it worked before I painted it.
I made mine to haul a 5x5 bale.

7FC2LEA.jpg

x5tLI6U.jpg

oBeLQ4U.jpg

Uv7Dgc6.jpg

Baler broke a few belts & didn't get strings on the last roll. I unrolled it by hand today & teddered it. I'll say anything is better than pulling hay off & pushing it by hand, by yourself, lol. Tried to push it with the tractor but it just kept trying to get on top of it. One of those unrollers would have sure been handy. My back & bleeding fingers would have appreciated it.

I'm going to make one (someday) with the back half of an anhydrous tank running gear. All it needs is a little tongue work and the bale frame built. It has 6 lug 15' implement tires. I'll post when I get there.

Kentuckyguy I LOVE yours!! I've searched youtube for a long time but I like yours better than any of those. I may try to duplicate it if I can figure it out. Are you confident in moving hay a mile or so across a pasture with it?

As far as I know it should. It doesn't bend any at all with a 5x5 roll on it.

I must have the spindles welded on pretty straight because I towed it home from my dads at 60mph. It pulled straight as an arrow.

Perfect. If you got a chance to PM me some close ups I'd be grateful!!!

These are some serious contraptions for manual designs.

I'll look for pictures of mine, but I bought it in Waco from the manufacturer about 20 years ago. He was selling a drag type the hooks with a chain over the ball of a truck or AVT. It is 2" box iron that folds out.. You flip out the arms and push them an inch back in to lock in place. The ends of the arms have metal 2" pipe to slide 1.75" rods into and into the bale. The rods are about 18".

I got tried of dragging it because I still had to pick up the bale to move it so I converted it into a 3 point.

So, after the many threads on CT about unrolling hay I tried unrolling a bale in a pasture the other day.
What should I expect for usage rate? It's been 3 days and there is still quite a lot of hay on the ground.
My pasture looks a bit more dormant than the pictures above, but there is still some green grass here and there.

So, after the many threads on CT about unrolling hay I tried unrolling a bale in a pasture the other day.
What should I expect for usage rate? It's been 3 days and there is still quite a lot of hay on the ground.
My pasture looks a bit more dormant than the pictures above, but there is still some green grass here and there.
I unroll when I can (down hills-I am in East Tennessee). My cows clean up 90 percent of it in the Winter.

How good is the hay? How many head did you roll out a bale for?

Rule 1. Only unroll what they will clean up in a few (two or three) hours.

If you still have good green forage, they will probably prefer that over your hay and you may not even need to be feeding any.

How good is the hay? How many head did you roll out a bale for?
It's road ditch hay -- which is neither the best nor the worst. Good cured grass hay.

They actually cleaned it up a bit more today.

Rule 1 should probably get moved up higher in the thread ;)

Latest posts