Hay String

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":2pn2e7km said:
Angus Cowman":2pn2e7km said:
Suzie Q":2pn2e7km said:
It is not that slow either and you can always find some,
Not around here I use net wrap
if someone has borrowed the knife, scissors, shears, etc and not put them back.
That is why I never loan a knife and I always carry it in my pocket 2 actually
1 for cutting string and the other is my good knife
my pet peeve is someone who don't carry a knife because around a farm a person always needs a knife

The part I love is a guy will spend 1000 dollars on a rifle 500 dollars on a scope that is used maybe two to three times a year. When they pull out their pocket knife it cost maybe five dollars, something you carry everyday and could get you out of a real jam.
:nod: :nod:
That is also why I carry 2 knives if some one need one they sure don't get handed my good knife

I have found that utility knife works well for cutting twine. The ones I use have a spring loaded retraction, keep one in tractor, one in truck and one usually on my in my side pocket. When blade gets dull, just open it up and change the blade. Replacement blades are real cheap too.

kenny thomas":7bsl8df7 said:
What good is a farmboy(girl) without a knife? :lol:
Gave the two oldest grandsons a Case for Christmas that has the farm name engraved on the back. Have same for the other two boys and the two girls but they either aren't old or mature enough yet. :) Told them if they ever forget and have it in their pocket when they get to school, keep their mouths shut and their hands out of their pockets - automatic 10 day suspension pending expulsion hearing! :roll:

Use sisal twine on all your bales. You'll never need to worry about a knife because all the twines are broke by the time you start feeding them. :D

novaman":320evkaz said:
Use sisal twine on all your bales. You'll never need to worry about a knife because all the twines are broke by the time you start feeding them. :D

I know your probably joking but that is exactly why I use sisal. I feed hay and silage and only get off the tractor one time for about 20 seconds to remove the spears from the bucket so I can load silage. I don't even have to get of the tractor to hook up the feed wagons. Now I just need to get that heated shop and a tractor with a cab and grapple bucket and things would be really sweet.

LOL at the amount of times that I have been in Town and used my leatherman. They laugh at me when I pull it out, but not when whatever job has been fixed in seconds. Even as a hammer to hit down a nail on the dance floor. A knife to cut off the label on a shirt scratching someone. Little things like that.

I was talking about net wrap when I said I unwrapped the round bale before putting it down. We use baling twine on the small square bales. Our silage has the netting and then the green plastic around a round bale. I need a knife for that and HATE the smell.

now my new pocket knife cost $40 that was my christmas present.no 1 gets it less im standing right there.

I carry my dad's old Case....been sharpened so many times the blade looks like an ice pick and the handle is worn smooth. Wouldn't swap it for adozen new ones.

TB your lucky to have your dads knife.i think we may have 1 of my dads old knives.because he usually lost them.i think he lost 3 or 4 of my old timer knives.

Suzie Q":hl1j3gjw said:
You do know that if you use another piece of baling twine and see saw that it will cut the baling twine very quickly don't you?

Yeah, it will, but not nearly as quickly as a knife will.

Suzie Q":2umhu5h7 said:
Angus Cowman":2umhu5h7 said:
Suzie Q":2umhu5h7 said:
You do know that if you use another piece of baling twine and see saw that it will cut the baling twine very quickly don't you?
Not near as quick as a sharp knife :lol:

It is not that slow either and you can always find some, if someone has borrowed the knife, scissors, shears, etc and not put them back.

That is what pockets are made for - hence the name pocket knife. :lol:

Yes men seem to carry pocket knives. My leatherman has knives in it, but is on a belt. A bum bag (fanny pack) I usually put it on to leave the farm, but not around the farm. It has cash, cards, etc, etc in it. It is instead of a hand bag.

Suzie Q":zgnj68z6 said:
Yes men seem to carry pocket knives. My leatherman has knives in it, but is on a belt. A bum bag (fanny pack) I usually put it on to leave the farm, but not around the farm. It has cash, cards, etc, etc in it. It is instead of a hand bag.

I would be completely lost without my leathermen on my belt.
However our hay bales are net wraped and I just stand them on the end and unwrap them. Don't ever have any net wrap lying around in the pasture that way.

Cal

Suzie Q":tr3vhg29 said:

Women do too. Don't get me wrong - I support what works, however, my pocket knife is always in my pocket. That way I have it whenever I need it and I don't have to worry about a fanny pack getting caught on something and creating problems. ;-)

If people ask me if I have a knife, I tell them if I have my pants on I do. Also have a leatherman on my belt. Setting a round bale in the rain with my rain suit on so it was difficult to get to either one. Put a linoleum knife in rain suit pocket. It did work really good. May start to keep one on the tractor.

TexasBred":3pb9j1sc said:
I carry my dad's old Case....been sharpened so many times the blade looks like an ice pick and the handle is worn smooth. Wouldn't swap it for adozen new ones.

I have Dad'd Case improved muskrat in the drawer, looks the same way. His had Damascus steel blades man would those things hold an edge.

I use an old Swiss Army knife. It is part of me. I got it from Marlboro for buying cigs. It isn't the best tool for any job, but it sure will cut bale string. And tighten loose screws. And open bottles. :D
I think I'll try the mower section idea because I have some old sections out there in the barn, but my main problem with bale string is the ones stored outdoors in freezing weather. It is rough breaking the string loose from the frozen section of the bale.

TexasBred":2ix4mr96 said:

Loved reading this... my dad gave my grandpa a knife and when my dad died in a car accident it made grandpa real nostalgic about that knife. He carried it EVERYWHERE. I remembered him coming home from the hardware store and making the trip BACK to town because he was so distraught that he'd left it on the shelf in the store. This knife reminded me of what you said...sharpened so many times it looked like an ice pick...thanks for stirring that memory. Grandpa is now 94 and in a "home"... but I guarantee that knife is safe and secure in the top drawer of his dresser with his other prized posessions.

Latest posts