Hay wrap

Help Support CattleToday:

I can feed up to 13 bales a feeding. But, I feed 2 bales at a time to 5 different groups of cattle. Wrap goes in cab with me. Net and plastic. When we are just feeding dry bales, I keep a mineral bag in cab and stuff net into it.

Here's how it works in my world, but it's a 2-person job: Mr. TC in the nice, clean, warm tractor & listening to music as he brings a couple bales (one on the spear on the back). He may honk the horn a few times at the savages trying to tear into the bale even before he's remotely close to the ring while I'm playing linebacker, trying to push them out of the way. There may be swearing. Once I finally get the netting off, completely disregarding the 5 lbs. of residual hay that somehow made it down my shirt & in essentially every orifice, I roll it up and toss it in the back of my Polaris. Bonus points for me if it's wet, muddy or has an insane amount of burrs attached to the netting (which are subsequently embedded in my hands). But by golly, that tractor is clean as a whistle!!!
This should be a sticky up in the Beginners section so that young wives will understand to what level they should aspire to reach. As soon as my own wife gets woke up a little more, I will show it to her so she knows she needs to up her farm game a little.

(If yall don't see me post for a while you'll know that exercise didn't go well)
:oops:

This should be a sticky up in the Beginners section so that young wives will understand to what level they should aspire to reach. As soon as my own wife gets woke up a little more, I will show it to her so she knows she needs to up her farm game a little.

(If yall don't see me post for a while you'll know that exercise didn't go well)
Ditto, showing to my spouse tonight.

We have basically 4 pastures . 2 that join and 2 4 miles from the main farm in opposite directions. One of the pastures down the road has 11 open heifers we will breed this June. In the opposite direction we have 26 momma cows and 8 fall calves . At the main farm we have one pasture with 50 momma's and 20 fall calves . In the adjoining pasture we have 16 bred heifers due in April and about 15 first calf momma's with 8 fall calves and about 6 more odds and end cows . 1 bull in all the pastures with cows . And then a smaller pasture with 11 7-8 month old heifers that were just weaned last month . I put out hay 2 at a time on the main farm . We have a barn with over 300 rolls and have about 200 stored outside . And another 200 stored outside on the other side of the farm . I do not move it on a trailer . Short distance from hay to all 3 pastures and hay stored at both farms down the road .

How many cows do you have that you are feeding 8-10 bales at a time? If you are feeding that many bales at a time you must be using a trailer of some sort to haul them. Leave the wrap on the trailer. Maybe a box of some sort to put them in.
Do you wipe your boots good and clean before getting into the cab?
Yes and it has a removal mat when it gets bad .

What's this cab thing you talk about when feeding cows? 😒
If you have never driven across a pasture, in a open station tractor, with some sort of precipitation falling, a truck following for light because the tractor lights didn't work, to feed hay... you ain't no cattleman. 😉

Only thing that could have made that situation worse... is net wrap.

If you have never driven across a pasture, in a open station tractor, with some sort of precipitation falling, a truck following for light because the tractor lights didn't work, to feed hay... you ain't no cattleman. 😉

Only thing that could have made that situation worse... is net wrap.

Never anybody there to follow with the truck, I just hold a flashlight in my teeth.

If my baler wasn't paid for and in good shape I would trade it on a net baler tomorrow.

As for what to do with it when you take it off, hang a bucket on the loader or stuff it in empty feed bags then pitch it when you get back to the barn.

Never anybody there to follow with the truck, I just hold a flashlight in my teeth.

If my baler wasn't paid for and in good shape I would trade it on a net baler tomorrow.

As for what to do with it when you take it off, hang a bucket on the loader or stuff it in empty feed bags then pitch it when you get back to the barn.
😄 I wast old enough to drive so I drew the short straw.

My dad used to push snow for the service station in town. Was 10 miles from the house. I wasn't old enough to drive the truck so I got to drive the tractor. I was usually thawed out just in time to drive it home when he finished.

The best place I've found to put used net wrap on the Kubota is between the steps and fuel tank. Just wedge it in there pretty tight and be careful getting out. I generally just pile it up behind the seat though. I honestly hate feeding with the tractor so use the pickup with a Deweze 95% of the time. Net wrap goes in 5 gallon bucket used for feeding bulls and horses. Sometimes I remember to throw it in the trash can when I turn in the drive sometimes it goes in the huge net wrap pile at the barn. Net wrap is great for preserving hay but is a pain to get rid of.

Yes and it has a removal mat when it gets bad .
Got to kidd you just a little with a story.

A local farmer 40 years ago. Huge livestock farm at the time. John raised hogs. He had 900 sows, outside on pasture in the mud. Two hired men and two son in laws. They were hard on everything. John got a new farm truck every other year. So after morning coffee the guys were all standing around admiring the new truck. No body wanted to use it for fear of scratching it. John picked up a hammer, walked up to the new truck and put a huge dent in the box. "Ok boys, it's broke in. Now use it."
Pretty is nice, but when it's zero and the wind is blowing. Neither you or the cows will care if you drag dirty snow in the cab.

Dang, is that what I'm supposed to do. Well I got rid of my wife six years ago; best decision I ever made. Well maybe I will just have to show this thread to my future girlfriend, that is if I ever get one; in no big hurry for that. I have a buddy that has been trying to set me up with one, but I have been resisting.

I use old onion sacks (plastic mesh) tied to the loader bracket. Cabbage sacks and corn sacks work too. I use plastic twine and I can easily put 20 bales worth of twine in a sack. When sack gets full, untie it and throw it in the burn pile. Works good for me.