Simple hay unroller

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Britches

Reaction score
Many years ago I bought a drag type round bale unroller from a vendor on this forum but I cannot find them anymore. They were out of Waco, TX.

Dragging it was actually a pain in the neck for me because I was constantly picking it up, it was difficult to hook into the bales so I modified it to a 3 point. It pretty much stays on the tractor when I start feeding hay in the winter until spring green up. A few people asked me about it so I thought I'd share it.

It is made from 1" box iron. The arms fold in. The hay spikes are 1" diameter and 2' long. The handle was originally designed to hold the arms in but when I converted it to a 3 point and welded supporting angle iron on the back side, I didn't properly clamp it and it warped. The bungee cord is to hold it all together. The handle is nice when I take it off, which is a manual process. The whole thing probably weighs around 60-70 pounds. I put it in the barn in the off season and store it on end. Takes up minimal space and it is easier to pick up.
y4meG1QSiDR1pEx1oO6Lt933MkLov-J5G8yuRB0A0MUgjiCmdErL3CciJiNUu4G6cTTmliPuskj4XaR_4HOCcM_n0dS8QtjpjBlOjlVLI1cq49aKvKjfNOCCmRWaOfQP48q2_FfdAd_-gtx3UkmJGZsA-NJ652hFI14VvuprFrCSTgZ8JNX9OEFb5ITFr36ZOIA

I added the hitch pins to lock it open mostly so it won't slip while I back up to the bale. The pin drops into the holes that I added on the left (below) when opened. The bolt is held with a nylon lock nut and the arm has to slid in the slip joint that you see. There's a tab that slides into the back when the arms are open, but I'm not sure if it is necessary with the hitch pins.
y4mGEU0wwVT7AWIMtvWy5npQTELSTTo9rwz0HIkcGvqoAXMURxatEmLgUobESF8FuYE3kr0OWdLbPkz-zU_E8OgFQSGFoqHgc54bxtNaaBoNwe5E4FKXfJt6H-06decv4Wx4p2rO3XZo8nh49BpvyehaD8G_R6523aWMs1FdeMKA8s_KLNTbud5jcabV-4DXKbn

y4mztw8YaZBsZOII40FJWqDUAunurCSRLklc9R9JJH4coSIJ4Ckm1ec-jrIG-0on3QYwsuBoEEngEEU_cV40L_MgWKHQDtcxwo7JCBdfoxnQtSGX6wX_oFpOqlWauOvwSu7Bjq4enZ7ZLn4PTyKg0Po1Ej0Sr_EAwdJUCg4s7Syu-1j5mZ1_PxdSdoQTcIdmSYS

The rebar on the pins originally formed a T but rebar is brittle and part of the T broke. I'm sure the other half will eventually break, too, and when it does, I will use a different smooth metal that can handle the pressure. Occasionally the hay will roll up funky and the pins will not push nicely into the bale and I will have to use a hammer or adjust the arm to where it doesn't go into the center but slightly off center.
y4m90BKnORt1vbWf0hCHW89dVAFiGWKUEQAbNuDlQUeRDo0TbtAb21ZsikpG6LqU2HzKYLBQF3KzLKhRdHNFUYmpX-VKky0jcEdJHE5AK1sQ-umLYaVggDe3P6UEWwb1-qLvD9Hu57WHb81rTcaNSCnptlj3DeqBkkKkRMR_7LkHLWGGcAR2wy-WsQutZT1ukCH

Thanks for the write up and pics. Looks interesting.
I might like to try to build one. Do you have a video attaching it to a roll and using it?

My father was a Vo-Ag and shop teacher for over 30 years. I recently discovered that he built a 3-pt hydraulic unroller that was hidden in some weeds behind an old rusty disc. When I get the chance, I am going to replace the hoses and maybe the cylinder on it and see if I can get it going again.

We have a factory made hydraulic one and use the heck out of it. Especially in wet years when you can't get around with anything but a tractor.

Video is difficult because I usually am alone. I will see if I can get some pictures of it hooked up.

I don't know much about hydraulics and this was just something simple and cheap. I think the original set up cost $150 new. I have less than $200 for sure in the whole thing. Every now and then I will lose a spike but they are pretty easy to replace.

Oh! What I meant to say is the handle was originally designed to fold all of the way up and the top spike slides over it to hold the whole package together. When we added the angle iron, it warped and now the handle won't go all of the way over, hence the bungee cord.

I have been using this for the last 6 years works like a charm. I converted the top link to a hydraulic link, so I could tilt the bale higher when transporting and lower it closer to the ground when I'm unrolling to keep the bale in constant contact as it gets smaller.

Many years ago I bought a drag type round bale unroller from a vendor on this forum but I cannot find them anymore. They were out of Waco, TX.

Dragging it was actually a pain in the neck for me because I was constantly picking it up, it was difficult to hook into the bales so I modified it to a 3 point. It pretty much stays on the tractor when I start feeding hay in the winter until spring green up. A few people asked me about it so I thought I'd share it.

It is made from 1" box iron. The arms fold in. The hay spikes are 1" diameter and 2' long. The handle was originally designed to hold the arms in but when I converted it to a 3 point and welded supporting angle iron on the back side, I didn't properly clamp it and it warped. The bungee cord is to hold it all together. The handle is nice when I take it off, which is a manual process. The whole thing probably weighs around 60-70 pounds. I put it in the barn in the off season and store it on end. Takes up minimal space and it is easier to pick up.
y4meG1QSiDR1pEx1oO6Lt933MkLov-J5G8yuRB0A0MUgjiCmdErL3CciJiNUu4G6cTTmliPuskj4XaR_4HOCcM_n0dS8QtjpjBlOjlVLI1cq49aKvKjfNOCCmRWaOfQP48q2_FfdAd_-gtx3UkmJGZsA-NJ652hFI14VvuprFrCSTgZ8JNX9OEFb5ITFr36ZOIA

I added the hitch pins to lock it open mostly so it won't slip while I back up to the bale. The pin drops into the holes that I added on the left (below) when opened. The bolt is held with a nylon lock nut and the arm has to slid in the slip joint that you see. There's a tab that slides into the back when the arms are open, but I'm not sure if it is necessary with the hitch pins.
y4mGEU0wwVT7AWIMtvWy5npQTELSTTo9rwz0HIkcGvqoAXMURxatEmLgUobESF8FuYE3kr0OWdLbPkz-zU_E8OgFQSGFoqHgc54bxtNaaBoNwe5E4FKXfJt6H-06decv4Wx4p2rO3XZo8nh49BpvyehaD8G_R6523aWMs1FdeMKA8s_KLNTbud5jcabV-4DXKbn

y4mztw8YaZBsZOII40FJWqDUAunurCSRLklc9R9JJH4coSIJ4Ckm1ec-jrIG-0on3QYwsuBoEEngEEU_cV40L_MgWKHQDtcxwo7JCBdfoxnQtSGX6wX_oFpOqlWauOvwSu7Bjq4enZ7ZLn4PTyKg0Po1Ej0Sr_EAwdJUCg4s7Syu-1j5mZ1_PxdSdoQTcIdmSYS

The rebar on the pins originally formed a T but rebar is brittle and part of the T broke. I'm sure the other half will eventually break, too, and when it does, I will use a different smooth metal that can handle the pressure. Occasionally the hay will roll up funky and the pins will not push nicely into the bale and I will have to use a hammer or adjust the arm to where it doesn't go into the center but slightly off center.
y4m90BKnORt1vbWf0hCHW89dVAFiGWKUEQAbNuDlQUeRDo0TbtAb21ZsikpG6LqU2HzKYLBQF3KzLKhRdHNFUYmpX-VKky0jcEdJHE5AK1sQ-umLYaVggDe3P6UEWwb1-qLvD9Hu57WHb81rTcaNSCnptlj3DeqBkkKkRMR_7LkHLWGGcAR2wy-WsQutZT1ukCH
That is really nice! I have been wanting for a while to build one, it looks like I might just copy this one here. Quick question how do the spears stay in place? just by holding on to the hay bale? or is there some type of locking system? Thanks!

Before we added the angle iron and distorted the main cross bar, when the arms folded for storage, the carry handle folded all of the way up and the spikes slid in to lock it in place. I have to use a bungee cord to hold the handle up, which holds the spikes.

You can see it in the top pic. I'll see if I can do a picture that shows how it was before we distorted it.

That is really nice! I have been wanting for a while to build one, it looks like I might just copy this one here. Quick question how do the spears stay in place? just by holding on to the hay bale? or is there some type of locking system? Thanks!
Sorry, I have a tendency to overthink things and it just occurred to me what you were asking. Yes, the spears push into the bales and stay in. The bales are tight and I usually have trouble and have to stomp/ kick the spears in with my foot. Oftentimes I have to go slightly lower or higher than dead center but try to do the same on both sides so it unrolls more evenly.

Also I can unroll a partial bale, unhook and move it with my front end tractor spear.

My Grandpa did something similar when I was a kid using what I'm pretty sure was a driveshaft from an old Model T or A type of vehicle. It was about an inch or so in diameter and 5' or so long. We'd drive it through the center of the round bales (not very tight bales back then) and hook a chain to either side, then drag it with the tractor to unroll the bales. A fair amount of work, but it was all scrap metal from around the place and he had a couple grandsons that needed to burn off energy.

My dad and I built this one in 1984. It has unrolled north of 25k 5x5 bales and the only thing I have did to it is replace the cylinder twice. I bent the shaft on one cylinder and another started leaking bad.

G0KrOw3.jpg

I just got done unrolling 4 5x5 bales and will go latter and unroll 2 more.

sVi5S5O.jpg

My dad and I built this one in 1984. It has unrolled north of 25k 5x5 bales and the only thing I have did to it is replace the cylinder twice. I bent the shaft on one cylinder and another started leaking bad.

G0KrOw3.jpg

I just got done unrolling 4 5x5 bales and will go latter and unroll 2 more.

sVi5S5O.jpg
That is exactly like the one my Dad built. I still haven't gotten around to working on it.

Latest posts