Hay String

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Always hated cutting hay string with my good pocket knife and dulling the heck out of it.
Hung a folding linoleum knife on the tractor, works great as the hook blade gets under the string easily.
Really don't care if it gets dull as it's not my carry knife.

CB, I use a sickle section cut in half welded to a piece of 1/2 pipe. If it get dull, just sharpen it on the grinder. gs

Caustic Burno":3ow68t1t said:
Always hated cutting hay string with my good pocket knife and dulling the heck out of it.
Hung a folding linoleum knife on the tractor, works great as the hook blade gets under the string easily.
Really don't care if it gets dull as it's not my carry knife.
zackly what I use.

plumber_greg":1aj6l2vi said:
CB, I use a sickle section cut in half welded to a piece of 1/2 pipe. If it get dull, just sharpen it on the grinder. gs
Greg
I will send ya a hay knife Jed got one when he was here last week
I wonder how long it will be before you lose it :lol: :lol:
RedBuull's better half has already put her order in for one

Hayknife.jpg

Here is what I give my hay customers
pocketknife.jpg

The wife has a custom one and Jed wants one JUST like hers with his name on it :lol: :lol: :hide:

we used to use pocket knives to cut the plastic off the bales.but that was pretty slow.so we switched to kitchen sheers.an now we cut them real fast.

bigbull338":25fgmbhq said:
we used to use pocket knives to cut the plastic off the bales.but that was pretty slow.so we switched to kitchen sheers.an now we cut them real fast.
That's what we use for twine or net

bigbull338":2o704q9t said:
Takes less than 2 seconds to cut it with a sharp knife don't know how a set of scissors would be any faster and a he77 of alot harder to carry in your pocket or on your pocket
one swipe across the bale and its is done

Angus Cowman":2a8wwdfr said:
Suzie Q":2a8wwdfr said:
You do know that if you use another piece of baling twine and see saw that it will cut the baling twine very quickly don't you?
Not near as quick as a sharp knife :lol:

It is not that slow either and you can always find some, if someone has borrowed the knife, scissors, shears, etc and not put them back.

Suzie Q":2227f5r6 said:
It is not that slow either and you can always find some,
Not around here I use net wrap
if someone has borrowed the knife, scissors, shears, etc and not put them back.
That is why I never loan a knife and I always carry it in my pocket 2 actually
1 for cutting string and the other is my good knife
my pet peeve is someone who don't carry a knife because around a farm a person always needs a knife

When I have my utility belt on I have everyting. Mobile phone, camera, leatherman, sewing kit, compass, women's pads, fold up frisbee, umbrella, backpack, shopping bags, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

But one day I went down on the tractor without it to feed round bales and hubby had removed the knife from the toolbox. ARGH!!

I found it was easier to unwrap the bale before putting it down. Much easier than using a knife for my bung arm.

Angus Cowman":mq3pwqce said:
Suzie Q":mq3pwqce said:
It is not that slow either and you can always find some,
Not around here I use net wrap
if someone has borrowed the knife, scissors, shears, etc and not put them back.
That is why I never loan a knife and I always carry it in my pocket 2 actually
1 for cutting string and the other is my good knife
my pet peeve is someone who don't carry a knife because around a farm a person always needs a knife

The part I love is a guy will spend 1000 dollars on a rifle 500 dollars on a scope that is used maybe two to three times a year. When they pull out their pocket knife it cost maybe five dollars, something you carry everyday and could get you out of a real jam.

Caustic Burno":2n04xnqq said:
The part I love is a guy will spend 1000 dollars on a rifle 500 dollars on a scope that is used maybe two to three times a year. When they pull out their pocket knife it cost maybe five dollars, something you carry everyday and could get you out of a real jam.
I would like to have a dollar back for every high dollar knife I have lost over the years. I really should go to those 99 cent Chinese jobs and buy them by the box as many as I loose. There just seems to be something about a good Case in my pocket that makes me keep replacing them.