Hay Protein Level

Help Support CattleToday:

IMHO, A little lesser quality hay, fed with DDG is cheaper than high quality hay. Protein tubs are an expensive alternative to a simple problem.

I think hay waste is our biggest enemy in Ky. Either from storing outside, or cattle tromping it in the mud. Although I store 75% of my hay inside, I also don't think that a hay barn will pay for itself in hay saved. Just my :2cents:

Bigfoot":2mvmi3zn said:
IMHO, A little lesser quality hay, fed with DDG is cheaper than high quality hay. Protein tubs are an expensive alternative to a simple problem.

I think hay waste is our biggest enemy in Ky. Either from storing outside, or cattle tromping it in the mud. Although I store 75% of my hay inside, I also don't think that a hay barn will pay for itself in hay saved. Just my :2cents:
:D Yeah...why should that 3rd of a bale they waste be good hay anyway..... :)

I think size of scale come in to play on that....20-30 bales to store...maybe not....4-500 might be a different story. However, 3 of the barns I store in were built for small squares with drive in access so at the time it was "necessary". Another is a brooder house...it's old, leaning, and has a leaky roof, but it still better than setting outside in the weather. Another was built to replace one brooder house that all but blew down. Built an equipment shed on to the side of it that has become storage space. It was built before we had cab tractors so they won't fit under the eave. Have two more that were hog barns. Put a sliding door and filled the pits under it with dirt several years ago. Only problem with it is I no longer have a tractor that will fit in it. It's has an 8 ft ceiling height. It will have to house small square bales if I ever bale small squares again. Right now it is used for junk storage.

Had I not had these barns, I would have to change my hay program from baling what I have when I have it to looking for a yearly source. Surely the last hay I baled and in 2012 and using this year would be mostly compost by now.... baring the telephone poles, crossties and tarps I used before I had access to the barns...a less expensive alternative dollar wise but more labor intensive.

For long term storage, a barn is a must. Squares or rounds. That MY :2cents:

I had to decide whether to buy the $20 4x4 junk hay or the $65 4x6 top shelf hay . When the 4x4's weigh 6-700 lb and the 4x6 weigh 1500 lbs . I have not weighed them to be exact but I know long it takes them to eat through the hay . The 4x6 hay fills up every bit of the hay ring . Same hay ring I can force 3 of the 4x4's into with the loader .

Highgrit you mention $65 into the bottom line , I have multiple pastures and could have a hay pasture , I have some of the best pasture in this country . With $1000+ calves I think it makes sense for me to run cows and buy hay . I could get it rolled for $18 a bale and have more hay than I need setting outside going downhill . Or put 10-15 cows and a 1000 lb bull over there . They easily pay the hay bill for all my pastures and then some

I have thought about this many times

BobbyLummus1":35otxere said:
I had to decide whether to buy the $20 4x4 junk hay or the $65 4x6 top shelf hay . When the 4x4's weigh 6-700 lb and the 4x6 weigh 1500 lbs . I have not weighed them to be exact but I know long it takes them to eat through the hay . The 4x6 hay fills up every bit of the hay ring . Same hay ring I can force 3 of the 4x4's into with the loader .

Highgrit you mention $65 into the bottom line , I have multiple pastures and could have a hay pasture , I have some of the best pasture in this country . With $1000+ calves I think it makes sense for me to run cows and buy hay . I could get it rolled for $18 a bale and have more hay than I need setting outside going downhill . Or put 10-15 cows and a 1000 lb bull over there . They easily pay the hay bill for all my pastures and then some

I have thought about this many times

You and I are on the same page Bobby. It really galls me to see us growing hay behind perfectly good fencing when we've got other fields leased to row crop guys that should be our hay fields. Alas, I'm not in charge so all I can do is make suggestions.

At least I got all the tobacco stands moved out of the fenced in pasture areas last year. That was progress.

depends on your cows. knew an old guy years ago would say people laugh at my old Herefords & calves may sell for a little less ,but I can buy the poorest hay in the country & they winter in good condition

Bigfoot":2egjlmuw said:

I agree. I buy "cheap" fescue hay and supplement as needed. It has proved to be the most cost effective method for me over time.

After spraying, fertilizer and $18 to have it baled we figure to have $30 in each bale but it's pretty good Bermuda hay but we have never had it tested. Last winter we only filled the liquid feeder once all winter while feeding this hay where the previous two winters we were filling the liquid feeder once a month feeding crappy hay during the drought.

We cut rake and pay to have it rolled with net wrap. When we factor in every thing lime,fert,fuel, eqt. cost and time. It cost more than 25 bucks a 4x6 roll. Now that not even factoring in land value. People sell hay here all time for 30 a roll I don't under stand this, but I will not price another mans stuff. Here one would be better off leaseing the decent ground for crops and just buying the hay. But I know different places and different prices and lease prices.

Latest posts