Hay prices in your area

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes, Write out that $6082 check for fertilizer and weed kill. Then you can turn around and sell that hay for a loss if you'd like. Not me.

You can bet tire kickers will come around wanting to dicker on prices. Same folks will spend a fortune on supplements and buy cheap hay.

If I could buy good hay for some of the prices I am seeing on here, I would not bale any.

backhoeboogie":3bdr84wc said:
Yes, Write out that $6082 check for fertilizer and weed kill. Then you can turn around and sell that hay for a loss if you'd like. Not me.

You can bet tire kickers will come around wanting to dicker on prices. Same folks will spend a fortune on supplements and buy cheap hay.

If I could buy good hay for some of the prices I am seeing on here, I would not bale any.

What he said. Not to mention tractor payments, baler payments, cutter payments, keeping tires on the trailers, insurance against theft, and then there are the REPAIRS. You'd better learn to fix a lot of it yourself and be prepared to be laying underneath a lot of gritty grimy equipment with sweat rolling down your back and into your eyes. A thankless job, for sure. At least my cows appreciate it.

These are the results from our local hay auction last Sat.
http://cla.casauction.com/2013/05/hay-results-april-27-2013/
You couldn't touch anything halfway decent for less than $300/ton
I watched some small squares sell for $617/ton :shock:
I managed to by some crappy rounds for $220 / ton :cry2:

We had about 2 ft of snow (wet and heavy, too) in April.
We got about 1-1/2 of rain Tuesday night followed by 8" more snow yesterday.
But NOBODY sees hay prices coming down in the foreseeable future. The cities are still saying they won't put out the leases for ag water this summer.

bigbull338":2s3utach said:
cypressfarms":2s3utach said:
I feel guilty. Just talked to my "hay" guy today about the up-coming year. We always talk price once per year, usually early spring, and then don't discuss it again until the following year. This year will be $20-$22 per 4x5 bale delivered next to my barn....but the pasture he makes the hay for me is adjacent to my property, so he'd rather drop it at my barn then load it on a trailer and haul off. Good guy; we normally "horse trade" calves/heifers back and forth. This is for mixed Bermuda/Bahia. I've also sent him a bunch of business; I guess he figures he can just break even with my small needs.
am i reading your post right.your buying hay for $22 a bale to your place.thats not even covering the cost of baling cost of standing grass or a small fee for putting it up to your barn.

Yes BB,

But there are alot of factors at work. I sell/buy cattle from him, have let him use my tractor before to bale, referred him large customers, and the land he bales on now - next to my pasture - is because I set him up there with the owner. I only need around 150 bales a year, so I'm sure he factors all the above before asking a price. He was less concerned with the hay price than he was talking to me about buying heifers. Ofcourse I'll take that into consideration when selling to him :)

But, where we we are in Louisiana we do not have a shortage of hay, thank god.

I've bought 50 bales for next year already for $30/bale plus $2 per bale for barn storage. Its straight coastal and clean as a whistle. I have not tested it. I feel sorry for you guys having to pay those prices, you can get junky round bales here for under $20 bale if you want. The best of the best would not get much over $40/bale.

jallen":3anx545z said:
I've bought 50 bales for next year already for $30/bale plus $2 per bale for barn storage. Its straight coastal and clean as a whistle. I have not tested it. I feel sorry for you guys having to pay those prices, you can get junky round bales here for under $20 bale if you want. The best of the best would not get much over $40/bale.

Oh, sure, just rub a little more salt in the wound!! :lol2:

Large rounds of mostly grass hay are selling at auction in WI MN and N IA right now for $200 per bale +.

The world looks a whole lot different with $200/bale hay. What are you going to do? Can't let the cattle starve. Drought reduced hay supplies last summer, long winter increased consumption, late spring has delayed start of pasture growth.

Transportation costs for hay are high, especially for beef hay.

If you have hay then be thankful. I lot of cattle being sold because there is nothing left to eat. Need about another 2 weeks for pastures to really start. Prices should go down then. But what will they be around here this summer???

Univ of WI predicts 30% fewer hay acres to be harvested in the state this year than last. Ground being planted to corn.

Jim

SRBeef":2gjyhkmt said:
Univ of WI predicts 30% fewer hay acres to be harvested in the state this year than last. Ground being planted to corn. Jim

Math majors have calculated that we should spend more on fertilizer when forage cost goes up. :shock:
Now I just need to decide if hay is going to be worth $50, $100, or $200 a roll. :help:

cypressfarms":95wjjh86 said:
I feel guilty. Just talked to my "hay" guy today about the up-coming year. We always talk price once per year, usually early spring, and then don't discuss it again until the following year. This year will be $20-$22 per 4x5 bale delivered next to my barn....but the pasture he makes the hay for me is adjacent to my property, so he'd rather drop it at my barn then load it on a trailer and haul off. Good guy; we normally "horse trade" calves/heifers back and forth. This is for mixed Bermuda/Bahia. I've also sent him a bunch of business; I guess he figures he can just break even with my small needs.

Makes a fellow feel good when he realizes he's developed that kind of relationship with another good man. I might be tempted to buy him a bottle of his favorite "spirits" in addition to the $22 a roll. I'm sure if he is loosing anything dealing with you he finds a way to make it up somewhere else. Hang on to this guy buddy. He's a keeper. ;-)

Went to a funeral a week ago down south of me. Seems a lot of folks there and back over around Waco, Texas are baling a lot of wheat this year. Apparently the last late frost damaged a lot of it so going to be a lot available. No idea what the price would be tho.

papavillars":2nmyz6wp said:
Hey TB, keep your eyes open on that wheat hay I am probably in the market for some of it.

Will do. Will try to get some idea of the pricing and get back to you.

TexasBred":2s3j09yi said:
papavillars":2s3j09yi said:
Hey TB, keep your eyes open on that wheat hay I am probably in the market for some of it.

Will do. Will try to get some idea of the pricing and get back to you.

Farmer in Hill Co told me he sold quite a bit of wheat hay for $120/ton to a dairy.

Stocker Steve":moeylugp said:
SRBeef":moeylugp said:
Univ of WI predicts 30% fewer hay acres to be harvested in the state this year than last. Ground being planted to corn. Jim

Math majors have calculated that we should spend more on fertilizer when forage cost goes up. :shock:
Now I just need to decide if hay is going to be worth $50, $100, or $200 a roll. :help:
That much money makes my palms sweat.

a7 livestock":3flti7on said:
Stocker Steve":3flti7on said:
SRBeef":3flti7on said:

That much money makes my palms sweat.
I suppose you are supposed to have an irrigation system already in place? Other than that, I know for a fact that philosophy won't work when natural rainfall is as predictable as is and has been in my recent past. Fertilizer does squat without adequate moisture.

Irrigation is expensive. Actually costs me more than fertilizer. It is easy to wind up with a lot of nickels tied up in hay when you start irrigating.

Latest posts