Hay baling rates

Help Support CattleToday:

Around here a lot of tax write off hobby farmers that don't depend on a profit from cattle. I have read several of your previous post as you said hurts everybody else and I agree. I guess they have to spend their money on something.

Those people also have top of the line equipment to process their hay.
Yep the hobby farmers got the money. The real farmers should pay attention to that fact... 😉

What's that sayin... don't hate the player hate the game..

No. I was just talking specifically about baling. And none of us are what you would call custom balers. All full time farmers who try to make a little side income. I don't even know of anyone that does mowing, tedding, raking, and baling as a total package. Actually never really even heard of it until I joined this site.

No. I was just talking specifically about baling. And none of us are what you would call custom balers. All full time farmers who try to make a little side income. I don't even know of anyone that does mowing, tedding, raking, and baling as a total package. Actually never really even heard of it until I joined this site.
I'm just 75 miles northwest of you and I don't know of anyone that rolls hay much less does the whole deal by the roll. We do it ourselves or buy the hay. That being said I bought 4x5 rolls last year for $20. Decent hay.

I've always wondered about where you were. A lot of your posts mentioned landmarks that I knew of. I'm in Gray, TN. Yeah, around here, you're about guaranteed to go in the hole if you're selling hay. When I've got extra, it's usually $35 for stored outside hay and $50 for barn stored. My hay is mostly orchard grass and teff. Do some pearl millet too occasionally. This year I'm going to have hopefully a banner year on ryegrass/triticale/wheat, hopefully in about 2 weeks- if Mother Nature cooperates.

I'm just 75 miles northwest of you and I don't know of anyone that rolls hay much less does the whole deal by the roll. We do it ourselves or buy the hay. That being said I bought 4x5 rolls last year for $20. Decent hay.
I also don't know of anyone around my area that offers mowing, raking, and baling..I know of a couple that will only bale and seems like around $10/ bale is what they charge.
Right now I'm buying and hauling barn stored 4×5.5 bales for $22. I don't need the hay but I have barn space and predict hay is going to be very scarce next year. No one I know of is fertilizing hay fields this spring..
At $22 per bale, I'm buying way more hay than what I think I'd make extra if I fertilized my hay fields.

I also don't know of anyone around my area that offers mowing, raking, and baling..I know of a couple that will only bale and seems like around $10/ bale is what they charge.
Right now I'm buying and hauling barn stored 4×5.5 bales for $22. I don't need the hay but I have barn space and predict hay is going to be very scarce next year. No one I know of is fertilizing hay fields this spring..
At $22 per bale, I'm buying way more hay than what I think I'd make extra if I fertilized my hay fields.
I totally agree and hay stored in the barn is still good with me.

I've always wondered about where you were. A lot of your posts mentioned landmarks that I knew of. I'm in Gray, TN. Yeah, around here, you're about guaranteed to go in the hole if you're selling hay. When I've got extra, it's usually $35 for stored outside hay and $50 for barn stored. My hay is mostly orchard grass and teff. Do some pearl millet too occasionally. This year I'm going to have hopefully a banner year on ryegrass/triticale/wheat, hopefully in about 2 weeks- if Mother Nature cooperates.
I am 7 miles west of Jonesville VA. Stopped at Meade Equipment Thursday and picked up some parts. Pretty close to you isn't it.

Anybody selling barn kept 4x5.5 bales for $22 is losing money. Even at last years input cost they have more into it than that.

I have nearly another winters supply of hay on hand and bale all my own plus custom bale a good bit and at $22 a bale I would buy all I could and take a year off from making hay. Ha

It's interesting how different places are. I have never heard of anyone around here that does there own cutting, tedding, raking, and then has someone come bale it? I think I would buy a baler if I was already that close to doing it all myself.

I use to cut my meadows myself and have a guy bale it, I have a full time job and I just couldn't get it done.
We're planning on buying our hay this year because we already found some cheaper than what I can bale my own meadows.
We will put calves on the meadows and still winter a few cow's, we can get by with 150-200 rolls/year.

It's interesting how different places are. I have never heard of anyone around here that does there own cutting, tedding, raking, and then has someone come bale it? I think I would buy a baler if I was already that close to doing it all myself.
If you own a cutter, rake, and the tractor for both, why stop now and not get the baler? 🤔

If you own a cutter, rake, and the tractor for both, why stop now and not get the baler? 🤔

I think some regional difference might come into play.
Seems like in the south east they use drum mowers quite a bit. You can get a new drum mower for 6000.00 add a small rake and be good for less than 10,000. Plus get by with a small tractor.
Baler adds 40,000 +.
Here you have to have a moco. 30,000 +
And you need ~ 80 at the pto to run it.
Tractor, rake, moco, round baler, trailer, we won't count the truck. Might as well have a square baler, don't want your customers calling someone else.
Takes 200,000.00 to play

Not many calls that I can remember, from some-one who had cut, raked etc, and wanted someone to come bale. Maybe another hay farmer whose baler tore up, but you dont charge them for baling. Next time it may be yours that tears up. People with not equipment, just the land, I charged 3-1 . I got 3 bales for every 1 bale they got.

I think some regional difference might come into play.
Seems like in the south east they use drum mowers quite a bit. You can get a new drum mower for 6000.00 add a small rake and be good for less than 10,000. Plus get by with a small tractor.
Baler adds 40,000 +.
Here you have to have a moco. 30,000 +
And you need ~ 80 at the pto to run it.
Tractor, rake, moco, round baler, trailer, we won't count the truck. Might as well have a square baler, don't want your customers calling someone else.
Takes 200,000.00 to play
Actually most people around here with more than a acre or two use disc with conditioner.

Talked to my hay man. His prices are up 25%. I still can't do it for what he charges, with that quality of a bale.

With farm diesel over $4.25 now I'm dreading what the baler is going to charge. Thankfully he is just across the road from me. He's going to have to add a trip charge with these rates.

Latest posts