Hay baling rates

Help Support CattleToday:

east_tex

Reaction score
Hello. I am considering using my hay baling equipment to bale for others. My baler is a John Deere 450E. Max bale diameter is 60 inch but I set machine at 57 inch. What is a fair price to charge for cutting raking and leaving the net wrapped bale on the field. I am in East Texas near Huntsville. Thanks in advance for any comments

I have a similar size baler (4x5), and I have never bailed for anybody else but recently I was asked how much I would charge.
I did not have an answer.
Fence what size bale were you making?

I have a similar size baler (4x5), and I have never bailed for anybody else but recently I was asked how much I would charge.
I did not have an answer.
Fence what size bale were you making?
4x5
The guys around here running 4x6 balers are making 4x5.5 at 35-37.00

The guys with 5' wide balers are shopping for 4' wide.. 😂

Before my in laws bought the farm next door, my neighbor had someone do it and he charged 17.50. I always thought that was dirt cheap. Neighbors tractor was broke one day and he asked if i would take a bale of his over to his horses so i did. It seemed like half the bale fell apart before i could get all the net wrap off. It was barely holding it together.

I hear talk of 20-20 around here.
20 per acre to cut and rake.
20 to bale.
5x5 or 5.5

I can't wrap my head around 4 foot bales. Why would anyone want them? The bigger bales mean a whole lot less time putting hay out!
4' wide hauls narrower on float trailers when stacked 2 wide and it's lighter for smaller tractors. Plus, you get the same price selling them as 5' wide.

I changed people this past year on my second cutting. New guy will do a 5x6 and it is tight. I dang near have to lube my spears up. You can feel this difference in weight. I'm not sure what my max dollar per bale would be but it would be pretty high for a bale that size and quality.

Guys here are still $26-30 to custom bale. Most of them are running 4x6 balers but I still see a few 5x5 and 5x6s around. I would think a deal like Fence said would be fair too. Some of the guys say they aren't making any money others seem to doing fine.

494C3DFE-E440-4377-9CF0-E2C13A8563E1.jpeg
Last years rates. Don't know what they'll be up to this year, I assume 25% increase due to fuel etc.

That's a moco and a JD baler. 5x6 net wrap. Tighter than a banjo string.

Around here the 5' wide can be handy as the bales want tip over on sloping ground also the baler want roll over as easy. I have seen several twisted tongues on balers that had rollovers. From my baler experience the 5' wide chamber will take hay better. If you sale hay or transport hay 4' wide is better.

Last edited:
4' bales transport legally anywhere they need to go. Our states DOT says 5' wide bales double stacked is a "divisible" load and must be broken down to a single row to be legal that makes transport a pain. A 4x4 or 4x5 sells for the same money as a 5x6 bale as well. A 5x5 or 5x6 baleage bale is so heavy its just about un-liftable.

Only way a 5' bales makes sense UP here is if 100% of your hay is baled dry for yourself and doesn't need to be transported.

As for custom rate I haven't figured mine out yet but need to. Last year I was a 26 a bale but that price isn't feasible anymore. Fuel is $2.50 higher than last year, roll of net is $20 more, etc so going to be in the 30s somewhere.

Hello. I am considering using my hay baling equipment to bale for others. My baler is a John Deere 450E. Max bale diameter is 60 inch but I set machine at 57 inch. What is a fair price to charge for cutting raking and leaving the net wrapped bale on the field. I am in East Texas near Huntsville. Thanks in advance for any comments
I'm going to talk a little more on custom baling.
It sounds like you got a good baler that's good. A person getting into custom baling with old worn out equipment is asking for trouble. People want their crop done right not laying on the ground while your broke down.sure Even new equipment can break so it helps to have a friend you can trust. If you call in a competition to bail you out because you're broke down. You very likely will get hooked out of that job next year if it's not someone with good ethics. You need to know what your doing of course. People paying expect a professional not someone with the gear still learning how to use it.
Schedule is a nightmare. All you can do is be fair. If booked and weather isn't right you give the customer the choice to proceed with work or get moved back in the schedule. It's all you can do.
Be prepared to hurt some feelings. You'll get calls to bale short,thin,weedy,rocky, trashy bumpy fields, creek bottoms, ditches, ridges mesquite flats.so on. Be willing to politely say no and maybe offer advice on what needs to be done to get the field hayable for next year. Offer to do it if you're capable and interested. For pay of course.

Last edited:
I'm going to talk a little more on custom baling.
It sounds like you got a good baler that's good. A person getting into custom baling with old worn out equipment is asking for trouble. People want their crop done right not laying on the ground while your broke down.sure Even new equipment can break so it helps to have a friend you can trust. If you call in a competition to bail you out because you're broke down. You very likely will get hooked out of that job next year if it's not someone with good ethics. You need to know what your doing of course. People paying expect a professional not someone with the gear still learning how to use it.
Schedule is a nightmare. All you can do is be fair. If booked and weather isn't right you give the customer the choice to proceed with work or get moved back in the schedule. It's all you can do.
Be prepared to hurt some feelings. You'll get calls to bale short,thin,weedy,rocky, trashy bumpy fields, creek bottoms, ditches, ridges mesquite flats.so on. Be willing to politely say know and maybe offer advice on what needs to be done to get the field hayable for next year. Offer to do it if you're capable and interested. For pay of course.
Good advice.
We have also cut partial when time is short, rain coming etc..
Cut half or so and get it put up and hold til after the weather. Time is everything when cutting and baling!

Also...
For those crappy fields. Fields that ain't been cut in forever etc. Helps to have an old pos to cut it with the first time!! Expect breakdowns! It will happen on that type stuff and charge accordingly, letting the customer know in advance.

4' bales transport legally anywhere they need to go. Our states DOT says 5' wide bales double stacked is a "divisible" load and must be broken down to a single row to be legal that makes transport a pain. A 4x4 or 4x5 sells for the same money as a 5x6 bale as well. A 5x5 or 5x6 baleage bale is so heavy its just about un-liftable.

Only way a 5' bales makes sense UP here is if 100% of your hay is baled dry for yourself and doesn't need to be transported.
When we do baleage we have to cut the size down. 4.5-5x5. He rolls one out and we see if we can lift it, then go from there.

So if my math is correct my 4x5.5' bales have roughly 95ft³ in them. A 5x4.5 bale has 79ft³ in it and a 5x5 has 98ft³ in it. So at those heights the x5' wide bales have no real advantage.

Now go to a full 5x6 bale and there's like 141ft³ which gets ultra heavy at 50% moisture.

Latest posts