Hay Baled

Help Support CattleToday:

tandrfarms said:
So you shouldn't expect to pay over 1/2 cost of what bales normally sell for to get it cut and wrapped, if you are providing the field, right? I have someone who has offered to bale my fields and give me every 3rd bale, which sounds to me like a really great deal for him, but a clock-cleaning for me.
If you were here I would do it 6 for me, 4 for you.

Around here (NE OK) typically can find someone to bale on "shares". They bale it for no money but take 2/3rds of what you make. This is our rule of thumb for unimproved pasture.

If you were to plant something and fertilize 50/50 is usually the arrangement.

Alternatively, you can also pay some folks to come bale it at $13 per bale but that price is contingent on your place making 2 bales per acre.

ValleyView said:
Around here (NE OK) typically can find someone to bale on "shares". They bale it for no money but take 2/3rds of what you make. This is our rule of thumb for unimproved pasture.

If you were to plant something and fertilize 50/50 is usually the arrangement.

Alternatively, you can also pay some folks to come bale it at $13 per bale but that price is contingent on your place making 2 bales per acre.

Yeah I'm about to get it fertilized sprayed and lime put on it this month.

tandrfarms said:
So you shouldn't expect to pay over 1/2 cost of what bales normally sell for to get it cut and wrapped, if you are providing the field, right? I have someone who has offered to bale my fields and give me every 3rd bale, which sounds to me like a really great deal for him, but a clock-cleaning for me.
Yeah It's my field and my neighbor is like 5 mins from my place if that so he doesn't have to go far .

Ours is a pasture field in excellent condition. We do soil samples every year and fertilize accordingly. The guy wanting to cut lives next door. Otherwise, I believe he would have to haul equipment elsewhere to do his cutting for his cattle. For the quality of hay he would be getting (a lot better than most fields I have seen in that area), the fact that he wouldn't be having to lease the land or put out fertilize for improvement, I think 1/2 and 1/2 sounds fair, but I am still on the learning end of things.

tandrfarms said:
Ours is a pasture field in excellent condition. We do soil samples every year and fertilize accordingly. The guy wanting to cut lives next door. Otherwise, I believe he would have to haul equipment elsewhere to do his cutting for his cattle. For the quality of hay he would be getting (a lot better than most fields I have seen in that area), the fact that he wouldn't be having to lease the land or put out fertilize for improvement, I think 1/2 and 1/2 sounds fair, but I am still on the learning end of things.
was hoping for two cuttings half and half

tandrfarms said:

I think 2/3 - 1/3 is quite a fair deal. Standard in these parts, unless the crops are light. Then it may go to 3/4 - 1/4.

On shares I do a 2/3 1/3 split. If the land owner thinks that's unfair I tell them to go buy a tractor/mower/rake/baler and keep them in tip top shape and get back to me with what's fair. I stay busy all summer and fall.

chevytaHOE5674 said:
On shares I do a 2/3 1/3 split. If the land owner thinks that's unfair I tell them to go buy a tractor/mower/rake/baler and keep them in tip top shape and get back to me with what's fair. I stay busy all summer and fall.

Thanks for keeping me in check there. Lost site of that part of the equation. The 2/3 1/3 does sound good.

So didn't get my pasture fertilized and was wondering after my first cutting should I fertilize it and get herbicides put on still it will get cut end of the month. Guy that was going to do it no called no showed me.

Bfields30 said:
So didn't get my pasture fertilized and was wondering after my first cutting should I fertilize it and get herbicides put on still it will get cut end of the month. Guy that was going to do it no called no showed me.

At my location usually your wasting money with herbicides in June as the weeds aren't in the growth stage.
This has been an unusual year for low temps and everything is running late.
I sprayed 2-4-D this morning, that said you know your place what stage is the weed growth makes a huge difference in herbicides effectiveness.

our area has a lot more yield than most. we get around 4 bales an acre if its fertilized and the ph is right. thats the heaviest 4'x5' we can bale with silage special baler. if we bale for somebody else we get half the hay or $80/acre.

Caustic Burno said:
Bfields30 said:

At my location usually your wasting money with herbicides in June as the weeds aren't in the growth stage.
This has been an unusual year for low temps and everything is running late.
I sprayed 2-4-D this morning, that said you know your place what stage is the weed growth makes a huge difference in herbicides effectiveness.

I would agree with this. At this time of the year most of the weeds are mature. Mowing the hay will deal with it and the grass should outgrow everything else. Fertilizer yes.

For the hay guys on here had a guy come out yesterday older guy cut more then half of my hay I told him and where an electrical cord was from an old trailer so he knows where it was and later on in the day has a few acres left and I went back to check on him and he sees me and not pay attention and his cutter hits the cord. And he burns up the thing or whatever that controls the cutter and shut its off . And he's an older guy and he tells me that he's gonna come back today he son messaged me on Facebook to tell me they won't be coming back and because I cost them 1000 dollars for the small part be fixed and it won't be worth it . He literally waits a whole day to tell me and I asked could he at least come back and bale what's on the ground and he says no we can't do that either so basically I'm lost in what to do. And the son bullies the dad from what I heard on the phone yesterday. The dad who was cutting stayed and talked to me over an hr yesterday evening. Now I'm scrambling to find some to finish cutting it or at least bale what's on the ground.

Chalk it up to lesson learned.... Yes you know where most all obstacles are around your place and in your hay fields... just telling someone where they are isn't good enough. They need to be clearly marked for just this reason. Your hay guy, even if he remembered to and did look, should have to spend time looking and searching for things he might hit. On the same note, son sounds a bit bull headed, shouldn't be in the hay business if little things upset him so much....

1982vett said:
Chalk it up to lesson learned.... Yes you know where most all obstacles are around your place and in your hay fields... just telling someone where they are isn't good enough. They need to be clearly marked for just this reason. Your hay guy, even if he remembered to and did look, should have to spend time looking and searching for things he might hit. On the same note, son sounds a bit bull headed, shouldn't be in the hay business if little things upset him so much....
Yeah the guy cutting was the dad he wasn't mad and he was cool with it. The son I guess is over it which I didn't meet just communicated with him through Facebook. I have another guy that supposed to come later today .

Bfields30 said:

It was a krone cutter but the guy that came out and finished cutting told me he thinks his cutter was just bad cause he had no problems finishing

So i was off on hay pasture Size guy came and baled today told me 9-10 acres and got 34 bales 4x5.5 first cutting as well first time this place been cut in 20 yrs told me it wasn't bad for it being that long being baled.

Latest posts